Minicraft 1/144 C-54

Started by George R Blair Jr · 62 · 1 year ago · C-54, DC-4, Lima Movember, Minicraft, SAS
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks, Eric (@eb801). I am still thinking about using some all-over black primer, but the gray primer came out so good I may just run with it. The primer is Tamiya Fine Gray straight from the spray can. The metallic paint is Humbrol Metal Cote from a spray can. The color is Polished Aluminum. I stumbled on these metal paints about a year ago and really like them. They spray a smooth, thin coat straight from the spray can. They also dry quickly and have a really tough surface when dry. They have 5 or 6 different colors of metals. The only problem is that no one carries them around here, so I have to get them online.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

This is great progress, eorge @gblair
    Propellors at 1/144 will for sure be delicate.
    Compared to the dimensions of this aircraft they will look very tiny.
    Great work on that cockpit.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I guess the tradeoff on the extra work on the cockpit is that there wasn't an interior to build and paint.

• Profile Photo

I have been trying to get this DC-4 ready for decals for the last couple of days. I started by spraying 2 thin coats of Humbrol Metal Cote Polished Aluminum over the whole plane. Once this was dry, I sprayed some Vallejo Metal Color Dull Aluminum over some selected panels on the wings to get some variation in tone. I then mixed some Vallejo Dark Aluminum and Dull Aluminum in about a 50/50 ratio, and then sprayed the control surfaces. After letting everything dry for 24 hours, I sprayed a couple of thin coats of Humbrol Clear Gloss straight from the spray can over the whole plane. I plan to let the clear harden for 24 hours and then attack the decals.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

That's beautiful painting, my friend @gblair!
    Looking forward to the decals!

• Profile Photo

Great painting, George @gblair.
    The tone differences are very nice as well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten). We'll see if the tone differences survive the decal process and the last coat of clear gloss.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 6 months ago:

It will look great! I also have a few natural metal kits in my stash. I plan to test the (not so) new Vallejo metallic range, I have seen good reviews about it. I used Alclad for a long time, but I am a bit concerned about solvent based paints in general.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 6 months ago:

That aluminum along with the different panel shades looks terrific @gblair. I’ve never tried Humbrol before - well maybe their enamels once. Never liked those little paint tins for some reason but it’s good to know they mix well with Vallejo which can be tricky paint as well, especially when it comes to thinners.. Bring on those decals!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Csaba (@pikofix) and Eric (@eb801). @pikofix: I have never been a big fan of natural metal finishes, so I never got around to trying Alclad. I have heard that it isn't as hard to use now as it was in the past. Vallejo metallics are easy to use. You can spray them straight from the bottle, but I get a better finish if I thin them about 20%. @eb801: I am the same with Humbrol. I could never really deal with the paint tins. I have had really good luck with their metallic colors in spray cans. They level really well, dry to a hard finish, and don't tend to run like some other sprays I have tried. I'm not quite as excited about their clear sprays. They seem strong, so you have to mist the layers on or you might dissolve the color coat underneath. Ask me how I know. :o)

• Profile Photo

I needed 3 different rounds of applying decals to get all the marking in place. The instructions on the Lima November decals warn that they are thin and fragile, and guess what, they really are thin and fragile. I started out using just water on the surface of the plane, but I discovered that the decals wanted to stick immediately where they first landed. I managed to break one of the underwing serials into several pieces as I tried to move it into position. I switched to MicroSet and the decals were much easier to move into place without sticking. This is why I always start with the underwing decals first...I sort out these problems before I start on the more visible decals above.

I moved on to the long fuselage stripes and windows, and I remembered why I don't build passenger planes. MicroSet allowed the stripes to be maneuvered into position, but I managed to break one of the stripes right after the last window. The decals thoughtfully came with some spare stripe decal, so I managed to make everything good. The decal for the double doors at the rear of the fuselage is very thin and big, so I managed to fold a corner into a place I couldn't recover. Luckily the door decals are very light in color, so almost blend into the silver of the fuselage. With everything in place, I hit all of the decals with some MicroSol to snug everything down. I'll let the decals dry for 24 hours, then on to the last bits. Everyone stay safe. Cheers.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 6 months ago:

I can certainly see how that long stripe gave you fits but you know what? I looks great.

I really like Alclad II Metal lacquers. Looks like the real deal - better than Vallejo. EZ to use in layers. Thing is, don’t touch the finished paint job with your fingers. Use white gloves. Alclad doesn’t like skin oils, or at least not mine..

• Profile Photo

In the end the decals look fine, George @gblair
    Agree with you that it is wise to have a first try at the bottom side of the plane.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Eric (@eb801) and John (@johnb). I think that's why I don't like natural metal finishes. Metal finishes seem delicate and really easy to mess up. I think I'll stick to camo finishes.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Looks superb from here, my friend @gblair! Yes, airliners are not among the easiest regarding decals application... Your job is great, looking forward to the final bits!