What to make? (SAS75)

Started by Erik Gjørup · 35 · 2 years ago · SAS75
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Please post your inspiration here for others to find. Anything you can think of that in any way shape or form can be even remotely connected to this group can be posted here.

This will initially be kept as a sticky topic, and will bethe first topic people see in this group, so post away!

(remember to tag your build with SAS75 when posting in headlines and here - and remember tags do not use hashtag, just text seperated by kommas; sas75, caravelle, vw, heller, 1/144 etc etc)

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

SAS: The Douglas years

SAS was a loyal customer of Douglas (and its successor McDonnell Douglas), operating 290 of its aircraft and all major models.

By netting I discovered this amazing site:

Main Home
    It has a dedicated section: https://www.aircraftinteriorsinternational.com/image-galleries/sas-the-dc-years.html ...featuring images of SAS Douglas cabins from the 1940s to the 1960s. Here are a couple of examples:
  • Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 9 months ago:

I quickly ended up with an interesting idea - SAS had flying clubs earlier. Lima November decals has a Piper Super Cub sheet, but it is not too easy to find the Academy 1:48 or Revell 1:32 kits anymore.

I still have an SG-38 glider, and according to this article the Danish SAS flying club gave away one of this as a gift to another club. I am not sure if it was a newly made plane, or a used one. I need to dig into the history of those flying clubs. Maybe I can find something interesting to build there. Also a good chance to practice Danish, I am not using it too much.

• Profile Photo

Sounds like an esoteric, but extremely interesting project, my friend @pikofix!
    Love it, hoping you'll find sufficient evidence, in order to materialize it.

• Profile Photo

@pikofix, csaba, indeed the SAS flying clubs are welcome. I have the PA-18, SG-38 in 1/72 and 1/48 and Cessna 172 in 1/48. You might even argue that Grennlandair Flying Club is connected, as SAS was a major shareholder in Grønlandsfly, and I have a build log of the GLAF 172 here on iModeler - and the LN-Decals Piper Cub - all great subjects. Looking forward to your decision. Not sure if the SG-38 has any large SAS logo or something, but that would be very interesting. The SAS flying club did also have a KZ II T at one time - now that would be good for your danish 🙂

The captain preparing the plane for boarding?

See more pictures of this one on oy-reg.dk (including a colorslide of this one)

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Erik: Thanks for the invitation to join this group, but right now, models are "out of reach" for me at this time.

I do however have a comment about your first photo (top of the page)
    That's a fine photo highlighting the Caravelle. (I don't know for sure about thee prop plane, but it looks like a Convair product.) Anyway, years ago (1958 & 1959) I took two flights on Varig Airlines out of Rio. I was just 7 but I remember those Caravelles quite well. Just thought I'd insert some personal experience here. I'll be watching to see the planes folks add to this group build!
    @airbum

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks for the invite, Erik (@airbum). I am getting close to moving into my new house, but I should have time to build one for the group. It looks like SAS took some C-54s after the war and turned them into airliners. I found some decals by Lima November at Hannant's for a 1/144 C-54/DC-4, so hopefully they will be here in 3 weeks or so. I have several C-54 models that are already in storage, but I was able to find one at a reasonable price on Ebay. Looking forward to building a civilian C-54 for the group. Cheers.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@mikegolf, quite right - convairs, and thanks for the personal touch - nice story. No matter if you build or not it is a pleasure to have you in the comments - thanks!

• Profile Photo

@gblair, LNDecals make some nice stff, so you should look forward to it, as will I (I have the same decals only in 1/72, but not sure I will have the time to use them here - oh well we have a whole year 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks much, Erik. I find airliners to be very interesting, and have many, many miles on newer aircraft as well as numerous flights on the Caravelles, DC3s, and 2 long flights on Lockheed Super G Constellations. What a beauty!
    @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 9 months ago:

I started looking through my old photos on the weekend, and found a few old photos I took back in 2010. There are a few spotter places around Copenhagen airport. The two best ones are the spot near the threshold of 22L, walking distance from the terminal, and the legendary Flyvergrillen, a small place serving fast food, next to the 22R runway and the taxiways. It has a small spotter area as well, you usually find the nerds there. It was kind of embarrassing standing there with my entry level DSLR 🙂
    The photos also show that how much air traffic changed in a decade. I could still see MD-82s, A340s, BAe-146s…

OY-KHP SAS Arild Viking MD-81

OY-RJC Cimber Air - now it is in German registration, D-ANSK (Means Danish… 🙂 )

OY-KBA SAS Adalstein Viking A340. I travelled a lot with these old giants. In my previous job we were pretty much in standby, and were ready to travel to China on a very short notice. My personal record is a message at 2pm - I was on the plane leaving to Beijing at 9pm.

OY-KBH SAS Sulke Viking A321. Just look at the weathering - a great challenge in 1:144 scale.

OY-KFC SAS Bertil Viking CL600 - it is now written off after a ground handling incident.

OY-KBE SAS Emma Viking A321. All kind emergency vehicles around it - no idea what happened, could not find anything in the records.

• Profile Photo

Nice collection @pikofix. OY-RJC (as D-ANSK) has been written off in 2020 - here it is as D-ANSK
    Do you have a date for all the bells around OY-KBE?
    The A340 is still very near the top of my list of modern airliner favourites - it looks very efficient and safe.

• Profile Photo

Love your collection too, @pikofix!
    I agree with @airbum for the 340: such a "correct" plane.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Does anyone happen to know if SAS ever operated the Boeing 727?

• Profile Photo

Jaime, sorry to say no. However the scope of this GB permits the making of anything that you are able to connect to SAS!

One such connection - although very far fetched - is the Sterling 727 with the registration OY-SAS

I will dig a bit deeper @jetmex to check if something closer connected to SAS can be found. Perhaps if Thai did operate them when they got assistance from SAS to start up? (The letters on Thai Airways planes are the same typeface as SAS uses - and has the copyright to use)