Scramble! ROCAF F-16A and Female Pilot 1/48

Started by · 21 · 11 months ago · F-16A, Female Pilot, Hobby Fan, Jet Grrl, Kinetic Gold, ROCAF, Taiwan, Viper
  • Profile Photo
    said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Hello All.

I just got some things I had ordered. After I saw this figurine from Hobby Fan I just had to get one and I was inspired to build a scene of a pilot running to her Viper.

I acquired the new Kinetic Gold F-16A MLU NATO and I realized that it was about perfect for a ROCAF Block 20, Kinetic has a real gem in this new tool MLU and I plan to get several more. I also got the older Kinetic F-16A/B ROCAF Flying Tigers Anniversary kit, party because I will do a -B in the Tigers markings, and partly because this kit has decals for all the ROCAF Viper squadrons.

I'm not fast at building, and I have a number of health issues that prevent making tight schedules, but I hope people will enjoy seeing the process. I do want a 3D decal upgrade for the -A, and I plan on getting some "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" tags and other accessories appropriate to a scene of a jet being scrambled.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months, 1 week ago:

@tankgrrl - Sounds like it's going to be a cool build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks! I'm excited for it, I love F-16s and I always pull for women that serve in the military.

This photo is another inspiration for the project.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 1 week ago:

An amazing entry, my friend @tankgrrl! The figure looks super cool! Sorry to hear about your health issues, hope for the best. No worries on keeping tight schedules here: just build the way it suits you, have fun and we are eager to admire your works.
    Looking forward to this super build!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten

Thank you, my friend Spiros. I have the kind of health issues that don't get better, but I manage them. Learning history and building model kits is one of the ways I manage life.

The Hobby Fan figurine just arrived in today's post, it's superbly sculpted and cast, and has extra head and helmet for variety. It was definitely worth the purchase.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Superb entry, Anna-Elizabeth @tankgrrl
    This will turn into a beautiful scene. Fast building is not required at all, enjoying your build is much more important.
    We will definitely enjoy your build, looking forward to that.
    Sorry for your health issues, being able to managing them is very important.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Thank you!

Looking over the Kinetic Gold kit, it presents really nicely, the details are excellent. It has a lot of weapons. The boxtop has a notice about the "MAGFIRE" system, which is supposed to be a way to use Rare Earth Magnets to make the weapons interchangeable. The sprue map refers to "1/48 MAGFIRE US WEAPONS SPRUE X2", but there are no other leads as to how to use MAGFIRE or what size magnets to use. The instructions also refer one to the Kinetic site to download colour profiles of the decal schemes included, but right now (May 2023) these are not found.

Here is Sprue "E". I've begun working on eliminating the knock-out marks with sanding and Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer. I'd say that the Kinetic Gold Viper has fewer and lighter sprue ejection marks than the Tamiya F-16 series.

• Profile Photo

Have never attempted using magnets, my friend@tankgrrl, but there are some modelers here that have, so, if luck helps, you might get some answer.
    Great job on smoothing the ejector pin marks!

• Profile Photo

Here's a video I found at YouTube on how to attach magnets at models, hope you find it useful:

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Spiros @fiveten

I've done a bit with Rare Earth Magnets on gaming miniatures such as "Adeptus Titanicus: the Horus Heresy" from Games Workshop. I'm not sure the technique would be all that useful for 1/48 scale air-to-air missiles, but for bombs and such it might be a good way to arm-up a model.

• Profile Photo

Also this one, my friend @tankgrrl...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Nice progress, Anna-Elizabeth @tankgrrl
    Love the idea of using magnets to exchange the armament

• Profile Photo

Hey, guys. With this kit I think I'm just going to use AMRAAMs and AIM-9Ms - this Viper is scrambling to intercept - but I think the magnets would be great for bomb racks and such on other projects.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 11 months ago:

I've used magnets on my F111 to exchange pave tack panels, and wire pins to mount missiles and bombs.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months ago:

@kalamazoo - That is pretty cool, Allen. Thank you for showing your method, using the steel shims is a good idea.