1/48 scale Monogram B-24 J “Tubarao” assembly ship

Started by Louis Gardner · 75 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Thiago C. M. Pacheco said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Oh, that is sweet! This is one of my all time favorite kits, and this color scheme is just plain cool! I recall reading about it, and I may be wrong, but didn’t the crew have some connection with Brazil?

I turned one of these into a ceiling model for my kid - mind you that I had carved the cooling gills, detailed the interior, opened the back of the engines and added a full bomb load! All I had to do was adding the figures and breaking the landing gear! Also, some spinning props and a feathered one to add to the drama. Can’t wait to see Tubarao in all of its glory!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words. I have been very fortunate to have access to a real life B-24 to use as an example for this build. I have taken some very detailed pictures of various locations in and around the plane. This will definitely come in handy later during my next B-24 build. I still plan on doing another one in the “Dragon and his tail” markings. The next time I’ll probably try to scratch build some improvements in the bomb bay and the main landing gear wells.

Thiago,
    That’s a great looking B-24 you have there ! As far as the crew connections, I think the pilot was Portuguese ? Possibly ? Something like that rings a bell.

Pedro,
    I have been busy with my MiG 15’s and hope that they are finished soon.

Then I’ll get this one going at full speed ahead.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words !

Please stay tuned for another update in the near future.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

It has been 1.5 months since anything was done to this build. During that time I was busy with some very important "life" related things, and I also finished up three MiG-15's for the "MiG Group Build". Now it's tie to get cracking on this one, especially since our friend Pedro @holzhamer
    was kind enough to extend the deadline on the "Teeth and Fangs" GB.

So please follow along with the next installment... You're going to think "This guy is Crazy" since I started cutting a lot of plastic and did some serious drilling...

• Profile Photo

Remember the resin engines ? I had to come up with a way to get a propeller shaft through them, and get things centered and straight. So I took them out to my shop, and put them on the drill press.

After some very careful drilling, I had the holes drilled out in the center of the engine crankcase, and they were perfectly in line / squared.

Next I had to fabricate the new replacement prop shafts. Before I drilled out the holes in the resin engines, I did some careful measuring and came up with the perfect sized plastic round tube to fit the inside of the kit props.

This is what I ended up with...

Once I had drilled the center hole in the resin engines, I had to enlarge it and the final thing to do was drill another larger hole from the back side to accommodate a "step" that will act as a retainer once the props are glued in place.

Here's the engines with the new shafts installed.

In order to keep the shaft from falling out when the props were pressed in position, I simply used some scrap plastic card stock and using CA glue, I added these retaining parts.

The props fit on the engines perfectly now...

I test fit them in the nacelles and things are looking good so far.

Next I placed the cowling on to get a visual on how this is going to look. Please keep in mind the pushrods have yet to be added. I'll heat up some black plastic and stretch it to make these...

There's a plastic tab molded in place in the wing. This is designed to keep the kit supplied prop shaft in place during assembly.

However they would have been too far away to keep the new prop shafts in place. That's why I chose a thicker plastic card for the back of the engines, and now it fits as it should.

Check this off the "to do" list... Engines fitted to the wings...check !

• Profile Photo

Over the past years I have been very fortunate to have seen the restored Collings Foundation B-24 "Witchcraft" on many occasions. Each time I see her, I snap some photos... I even have pictures of it when it was painted as the "All American".

The last time I visited my friends, I took these photos of her.

You see where I'm going don't you ?

The original plan was to build this plane as "The Dragon and His Tail". I changed it up a bit, and decided to use another set of decals for "Tubarao". One thing I wanted to do as part of the original build, was to scratch build the details found in the main landing gear wells. These details are cast into the lower wing half by Monogram. For it's time, they did a good job.

Since I was cutting away the rear of the engine nacelles,

These places are open on the real plane. You can see it in these photos I took a few months ago.

I'll have to add some plastic to fill in the lower wing section, since the flat wing surface extends under the nacelles.

Since I was cutting plastic, ...and using these photos I took at the last visit as a reference,

I decided to take the plunge and I cut away the main gear well.

I left a small portion of the plastic in place, since Monogram got this correct. I'll have to strip the green paint off now...

Next I placed the top wing against the bottom half, to see how much room I had fro scratch building... and I like what I see.

Here you can see the difference the cutting has made so far. The box stock wing is in the bottom of this next picture. The cut one is on top.

Having been inspired by my good friend Marc Barris, @marc
    with his marvelous scratch building skills, and after receiving a lot of good encouragement by another good friend James Robison, @jamesb
    I'm happy to say that I will be going into unchartered territory and scratching a new main landing gear well for "Tubarao". This will let me break out the Waldron punch set too... It's been a long while since I have used this tool.

If I have enough time, I just might even consider trying out the new "Rosie the Riveter" tool on the wings here. I had to sand away some of the raised panel lines when I accidentally slipped when I was cutting out the inner engine nacelle "closed" end.

I have practiced with this tool some on my last 1/48 scale Monogram B-25 build, and it works like a charm. It makes adding rivets a breeze. The hardest part is sanding away the existing lines...

I plan on making templates of the landing gear well parts, such as the wing ribs and main spars, for future use when I get around to building up "The Dragon and His Tail"... These parts should also fit the other "D" model Liberators n the stash.

A word of caution here: If you decide to do this on your kit, please be very careful. I almost cut myself on several occasions, even though I was being extremely careful. Using razors and saws to cut plastic can be dangerous... cause you a lot of pain, lost time from work, and possibly an expensive hospital visit if you cut yourself bad enough to need stitches... Plus you just might get a good earful from SWMBO if you do a numbskull trick like this. Safety first !

Now having said this, I'll most likely slice myself tomorrow accidentally. I know, I know, practice what you preach right ?

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Ironworks plus one! Fingers crossed that those stitches won't be needed (but a the difference between a good build and a GR8 build is blood. (good just needs sweat and tears). Keep pushing on - followed with interest!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Louis, your Tubarao WIP seems to be heading to a whole new level of detail, getting better everything I come around to check your work.

The propellers/engine shaft work makes me envious not having such tools...damm I don’t even have a bending PE tool, something I plan to purchase for a long time but somehow never bought (the prices asked also didn’t help).

Now the wheel well detail is a daunting task, wishing you the best of luck with it...and yeah, go ahead and add some riveting. A final wash over the painted surface will make those pop up nicely 😉

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Louis @lgardner, you are either a glutton for punishment or certifiable. I cannot decide. Really liking what I'm seeing here buddy! This is looking promising.

• Profile Photo

Hello Erik, @airbum
    I have drawn blood on several of my builds... it happens on occasion. However it happens more often when I work on cars out in the shop. Thanks for checking in and please keep stopping by...I'll try to post another update showing progress very soon.

• Profile Photo

Pedro, @holzhamer

I have been thinking about adding the rivet details, and just like you mentioned, they will really pop. This will be especially true when this one will be covered in various shades of bare metal foil in addition to the colorful assembly ship markings.

I use the drill press regularly out in the shop. It's a very useful tool, and it serves a dual purpose for working on cars, and occasionally models. I have been thinking about using it to turn a wooden blank for a Fokker Dr-1 cowling. This would be used on a 1/6 scale flying RC airplane, as a vacuum forming pattern.

• Profile Photo

hey James ! @jamesb

I might be a little of both... certifiable and a glutton for punishment. In all seriousness, this is something I have been wanting to do for a while. I have never attempted anything like this before, so it will be a learning experience for me. Hopefully with some practice, I will get better with this scratch building thing.

Thanks for the compliments and please stay tuned for updates...You just never know what to expect next from the "Iron Werks", and I really like your idea about the Air Racing group build. How cool would that be ?

Lets toss out some feelers to see what kind of a reaction we get from it. But before I can start another project, I first have to clear the work bench of some builds that are underway now.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 4 months ago:

I think it would be an excellent GB, but I hear you. My bench is pretty full at the moment and I am really itching to get started on a longer term goal. Just a few more builds and I think I will have dusted off my skills and be ready to get serious.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Today was a good day...

I stopped by to see my friends and took some great pictures on some of the details (inside and out) on the B-24 "Witchcraft". These are just two of the many photos I took today... I made sure to get the whole wheel well area photographed, as well as the rear exit openings of the nacelles in detail.

Late last night and earlier this evening I did some work on cutting away some more plastic on the lower wings. After looking at how the real one was constructed, I decided to take this route. I think it will make things a bit easier when it comes to scratching the gear wells too. It definitely should help with removing the raised panel lines (since many of them are now gone), and it might make it easier to add the rivets since I will have fresh plastic to start with.

I will trim away a little more under each nacelle, so that a single sheet of .040 thousandths plastic card will fit under each one as it does on the real plane. Then I will get busy with scratch building the wheel wells next.

Also, I managed to draw some blood...

so now this just might become an ever better build, since it is now vetted with some blood, and sweat, but so far no tears. Let's hope it doesn't get that bad !

Both landing gear bays have ben removed from the lower wing halves, and all of the engine nacelles have had the ends opened up. Plus I learned what the little box is that was located under the #1 nacelle at the end by the opening.

James B., @jamesb
    I have talked to several people and so far your idea about an Air Racing GB seems to be a hit... Great idea. As far as you honing your skills, I think you are there brother ! Your builds really look good. Lets clear some items from our work benches and see where this goes... Time will tell

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Wow Louis @lgardner, that's some fine surgery you've done there. Looking good. As for the Reno Group Build, I agree. Let's let it fester a bit and grow ideas. Think the Korean Era should go next, but that's just my two cents.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Hey James ! @jamesb

I agree totally about the Korean War GB. It needs to be done...

In order to do it properly, it needs to start exactly on the day the "Police Action" started, on this next June 25th, 2020, and end exactly on the same day the "Cease Fire" was signed...July 27th, 2023. This will be exactly 70 years later following the actual number of days during the War.

We can have other various group builds going on at the same time, and we definitely have some time to work out the kinks... I am looking forward to what others have to say about the Air Race GB... It sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks for checking in, and see what I have in store... It's coming up next.