My entrie: Eduard bf 110 Red Mouth

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 44 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 10 months ago:

It will not be a fast build, as I intend to continue another 2 ongoing builds. My idea is to have monthly updates as I go and complete it some time between September and October.

I will use the second kit inside the “Royal Edition” box wich was a Xmas gift from my wife in 2011 or so. Opening the box made me remember just how many pieces this kit has, and the amount of sprues inside this edition is even bigger, not only providing 2 full kits but also choosing from one of each earlier Mks (C, D and E versions)... a lot of plastic and P.E.

I have semi built a C version from this box that languishes in the shelf of doom, although it really isn’t the kit to blame for this situation.

I’ll be building Wilhelm Hergret bf.110 C from 7./NJG 3 in 1942. Looking at the original photo casually it looks like the usual all black nighfighter but on closer inspection I disagree, for there are some patches visible around the cockpit fuselage section, extending down into the wing that are not as dark as the black paint. I’m guessing it’s the original factory applied day fighter showing through (some green 70/71 perhaps)

I also built Eduards bf 110 G-2 some years ago (see 3 photos below), and vively recall it being a long time build, much like this one will be.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Pedro, I've always liked the look of the Bf-110. I'll be following along with interest!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 10 months ago:

I'll be watching this one too ! It's amazing what you can find by studying pictures... Often I simply look at them very closely first. Then I will read the caption (if there is one) to see if I found something new.

The pilot's "office" in the completed 110 looks to be very well detailed... Is this right out of the box or did you add some upgrades to it ?

• Profile Photo

It’s OOB Louis. Eduard 110s are very well detailed, but one needs to be patient and extra care with all that PE

• Profile Photo
    José Pedro Pires said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Pedro!
    Looking forward to follow your build log! That looks like a promising project and a great opportunity to make a study in the art of "black paint"!
    May the force be with you!
    Cheers!
    José Pedro

• Profile Photo

Ahah, yep José I guess I have a masochist personality cause black finishes can be unforgiving, as we all know. Fingers cross, and advices are most welcome

• Profile Photo
    Lucas Hernandez Morey said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Hello everyone, thank you for inviting me to the group. The Bf 110 has always seemed to me a fascinating plane (I do not know if it's because of the paint or because it has a cabin that gives a lot of play in terms of painting.

• Profile Photo

@lukaas44 Lucas, it seems we both share that fascination regarding the bf.110, a versatile plane that had a ton of different camouflages, armament and appealing insignias. And welcome to the Group Build, you can find it’s page under the “Groups” tab, and you are encourage to create your own thread for the project you choose to build for this theme. Thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Lucas Hernandez Morey said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Construí este Spitfire MK VIII a finales del 2018. Es de Eduard weekend a 1/48. Me gustó mucho el camuflaje con lla boca en el morro. Le dan un aspecto más agresivo. Una muy buena maqueta, fácil de montar, pero con muchas horas de pintura y weathering

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Me gusta mucho el ‘Grey Nurse’. Este ejemplo es estupendo, Lucas. Muy bien hecho!

@lukaas44

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 6 months ago:

In shame, I admit only a few days ago did I begin to build my entry for the GB, still The mojo is high so time permits the pace should be fast for my standards

Here are the first pics, after some RLM 02 and some weathering. Mind that there is still some weathering work before completing these parts (cockpit and gear pit)

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

@holzhamer, I will be joining the team of followers on this one - seem to cater for many nationalities with all the flags! I'm tuned in. . .

• Profile Photo

@airbum Glad to have you along this WIP Erik! The flag parade was the second reason why I chose this black 110 above others decorated with similar shark mouth 😉

• Profile Photo

This kit needs some prep in order to get the best out of it. Here’s some cockpit parts (it’s a very complete cockpit by all standards) so a lot of small parts adding to the basic floor and walls.

One thing I dislike and don’t recommend is the pre painted PE. Eduard chose RLM 66 dark grey but the Pantone is way too bluish, so I’ll spray some over it. Furthermore I believe is not the most likely color for the majority of the painted PE, the exception being the IP and radios faces (the latter I will not use entirely). RLM 02 is my choice. Till the next update, thanks for watching

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Time for a quick update with a few photos of the ongoing cockpit. Anyone who has built or at least looked at the plastic parts in the box will tell you that the cockpit is very comprehensive, numerous parts, fiddly to say the least even, more when the box provides extra parts that allow the C, D and E version to be built. Obviously most parts are common but not quite all, so it’s easy to goof when one doesn’t carefully read the booklet.

I’d say a third of the time to build this kit is spent in this area alone. Fortunately I now can see the light at the end of this tunnel 🙂

The small IP seen on the photo, meant for the second crewman, has Airscale decals, the first time I seriously use them and I’m quite happy with the result, a few notches better than the PE parts provided but not used.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.