QF-4N,B/N 153030, last Navy Phantom in service.

Started by Robert Royes · 10 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Fujimi 1/72 F-4N done as a QF-4N Drone. Late to the party, I'm almost finished with the kit, sorry I didn't post any build reports, it's basic build.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Nice work ! Man that Orange really pops ... Is it "Dayglo Orange" ?

• Profile Photo

Actually it's testors rattle can orange 1628, I prep with flat white first. Thanks Louis.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 4 months ago:

I'm a big fan of those Fujimi Phantoms! Looking good!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Well Robert, better late than never or so the saying goes... personally I’m glad you chose an F4 as subject for this GB. Always thought someone would build one from Vietnam war, but this one caught me by surprise, very nice! Thanks for joining!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Looks real Fab this one! I like the very orange!

• Profile Photo
    Glenn Virgo said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Looks great! Love a phantom. Makes me want to do one.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. Got to hang some things under the wings, The QF-4N's weren't always used as targets, they also were used to test new weapon systems.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

This looks great and I'll bet the "things" under the wings will be like icing on the cake... Thanks for the tip on the color you used for the Orange. I like it. I just learned something here, Thanks... I didn't know they were used for testing new weapons systems. This makes perfect sense. Up until now I always thought they were only used as targets. Sort of a Viking funeral for a warrior, but sad in a way. We have some A6 Intruders that were dumped offshore to be used as a "future" fish reef base... Back in the 1970's I remember them sinking a few WW2 Liberty ships offshore for the same purpose. Now I think there's only one left that's "sea worthy".

• Profile Photo

I believe that the USAF used theirs strictly as targets.153030 actually still lives on at the USS Midway museum, it's last flight was in 2004, when they stopped using the QF-4's. Ah the A-6, considered by some to be the best all weather attack aircraft, better then FA-18 which is a compromise.
    The fuimi are good but I like the old ertl/esci, they mold the radome as a separate part.