Aichi Type 99 'Pearl Harbour' - D3A1 Val

Started by George Schembri · 39 · 2 years ago · 1/72, D3A1, Mister Craft, Val
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Glad to join the group - Thanks you for the invite Lis (@lis).
    I'm going to go with a 1/72 D3A1 Val and will probably go with L.Cmdr. Egusa's Val 'BI-231' from the Carrier Soryu, as displayed in the decal paint guide.
    I'll need to confirm his aircraft had the 'Wild Horse' Flames for that day.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 4 months ago:

I'm wainting for your build! Mister Craft kit are quite difficult to assembly, but you will do it well 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Looking forward to this great entry as well, George @georgeswork

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great entry, my friend @georgeswork!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 4 months ago:

What do you think of that kit, @georgeswork ? Ive seen them online but don’t know much ( anything) about Mister Craft.

• Profile Photo

It's copy of Fuimi kit. But not good copy.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 4 months ago:

@lis...
    That music from the video will probably keep me awake tonight ... it’s catchy.

• Profile Photo

Very hard work is cutting canopy to pieces. I broke two from three that I had. Mabye You remember my D3A1 from Fujmi?

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Hey Jay (@ssgt), I'm not sure about this kit yet. It's my first Mister Craft kit and first impressions were good - except for the decals.

I think Lis (@lis) is correct as this kit definitely wants to be a Fujimi kit. This M/C kit has different sprue trees but the engraved lines are almost identical to the Fujimi.

Plastic is very soft and there seems to be a few issues with the moldings as there are a couple of holes and swirls around the injection points. No big issues really, just not perfect.

The decals do not hold much promise but I do have a few spare sets I can use.

All things considered, I found this M/C kit on Super-Hobby website in Poland for about $7 Cnd. I've seen the Fujimi Val kit selling closer to $20 Cnd - So I guess you get what you pay for.

We will see how things fit together soon.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

First is the engine, which has decent detail. Painted with Tamiya acrylics Metallic Grey, Gun Metal, Flat Aluminum and Chrome Silver. Home blended Otake acrylic using 30% Clear Green (Model Master 4668) + 30% Clear Blue(Model Master 4658) + 40% Silver Chrome (Tamiya X-11). Some scraping required to make things fit proper.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Your start looks promissing, George @georgeswork
    Pitty about the condition of the molds, for sure you will correct that.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Yes, Fujimi Kit is much expensive. I spend 22$ for it.
    PS. Your start look great! Very nice mix of metalic blue color!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great steps, my friend @georgeswork!
    Regarding molding imperfections, like our friend @johnb said, your skills will easily take care of that.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Gents, a little more progress and some filler and sanding will be required.

The front cowling looks pretty good glued in place.

Adding the top of the fuselage, I had to do some sanding down the height or else I would have ended up with a bulge just in front of the rudder. The sides of the top piece were a bit wider than the fuselage so a bit of scraping and filler.

I decide to glue the lower wing first to get it properly centered, and the upper wings followed.

The lower joints at the flaps and alerions have a sizeable gaps. I'll need to be a bit careful as the plastic is pretty soft and any sanding might take too much plastic off.

This M/C kit is going together okay, not the best kit but it's turning out to be a good exercise.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Good progress, George @georgeswork
    Some corrections here and there but that should be an easy task with your skills.