Douglas A-20G Havoc Pacific Theater Attack

Started by Carl Smoot · 44 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 year ago:

I completed this model about a month ago. It incorporated many new firsts for me in building. These included a new way (for me) of mounting the aircraft in flight, improvements (for me) in weathering, improvements (for me) in pilot figure painting, experimentation in wing fabric simulation, experimentation in spinning propellers, a simulated ocean base, sprayed on markings (instead of decals), riveting, and simulated spark plug wiring on the radials. It's rather tedious posting all the photos in one post, and I don't want to overstay my welcome here in this group, so I will post updates to this over the next week or so until I get to the point of the completion.

It is going to be the AMT 1/48 A-20G Havoc kit , mounted in flight at low altitude over the water, trying to give the impression of an anxious crew as they head into an attack on cargo ships somewhere in the Pacific.

Fair warning, I build for myself, not for contests, and I am more interested in give an impression of busyness rather than an extreme attention to detail. I am also still working on my skills so some of the work is not as good as others I've seen. But I did have fun building this. It took me approximately 6 months to complete.

The kit, extra details, some of which I won't use, and extra figures that I would modify for the crew.

Cockpit and gun turret in work. The pilot was a modified ICM pilot figure that was tweaked to fit the cockpit. I found it best to attach the control wheel to him rather than try to do it after the control wheel was installed in the cockpit. The gunner was a standing ICM figure modified into a seated position. This was pretty difficult to accomplish, but it looks okay after painting and installed in the turret. Pics of that will be shown in another post.

The liferaft was made from Milliput putty. It took me three tries before I was satisfied with the way it looked. The interior in the aft cabin is an example of the busyness I mentioned. Once the model was assembled, you can not really see any of it. The guns were modified with resin barrels and scrap photoetch brass as well as some small bits of plastic. I bought photoetch bullets and later when these were installed, they broke loose while installing the gun turret dome. I didn't spot this until after it was glued on. C'est La Vie!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

A wonderful entry, my friend @clipper! The AMT A-20s are nice, solid kits. Great decision to post your progress part by part, will be more pleasant for us to follow.
    It is absolutely clear that your skills are wonderful, as is the result so far. Your A-20 will look awesome in flight status over the ocean and I cannot wait to see your next update!

• Profile Photo
    Matt Dyer said 1 year ago:

Your outstanding work shows how much can be accomplished with older kits. Thanks for sharing it. Looking forward to future installments!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

An impressive beginning, Carl @clipper
    Looking at these early results, I'm eager to see the already finished one.
    Glad you are posting it in parts to keep us curious.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros @fiveten and Matt @matthewfdyer . I appreciate the compliments on my skills. Because I have come and gone from modeling several times, I've never developed a solid foundation of continuous experience, requiring me to relearn techniques. On the other hand, it does encourage me to explore new ideas which is much easier in this day and age. I now am striving to get better at skills I had only rudimentary knowledge of before. It is satisfying to see some of that come about even if it still needs room for improvement.

Thanks John @johnb, I will be posting more shortly.

• Profile Photo

For this segment, I am going to explain my plan for displaying the model in flight. For quite a long time, I've felt that I want to display inflight models as much as practical as I feel they were meant to fly. This led to several variations of "aircraft on a stick". I've come up with some ideas on how to make this work and seen numerous examples of other builder's work using the pole approach where this was done in an excellent manner.

My desire led me to look for other unique ways to do this, however, it seems that the most popular trend is to display models on their wheels with open cockpits. This is a perfectly valid approach to displaying models and I have many of these as well.

Anyway I stumbled across an artist who built aircraft in flight as part of his business. His work had a look to it that really got the idea across that the model could fly. Looking at his photos, I tried to discern how he did this and eventually I came up with the approach I am going to explain in a moment. There's a bit more to this which I will mention a bit further in this post.

My viewing of his photos led me to believe that he was using an acrylic sheet behind the aircraft to support it. Thinking this through, I decided to give it a try. It works like this. The model is supported by the acrylic sheet by placing a portion of the model on one side of the sheet and the remainder on the other side.

There were some questions I had, which were answered by experimenting on a test mule (old Monogram P-38 kit)

The most obvious was the gap between the aircraft parts. This can be handled in a variety of ways, none which are perfect, but the effect overall is satisfactory. I determined that 1/8" thick acrylic would be sufficient for my model because it wasn't too big. This made the gap as small as practical. I also noticed that the gap appeared slightly darker than the surrounding model, so using a slightly lighter shade of the base color would help to offset this. And finally, if the model is put into a diorama where the viewing angle is best seen from the side, the gap can be hidden by the model. For twin engine aircraft, this is easier because the cowling can also block the view of the gap.

SO my plan was to use an acrylic sheet that went the complete width of the display base and extended from the base to the clear cover I had planned for the display. This way, when viewing the model from the front the acrylic sheet is nearly invisible and the aircraft looks like its flying.

Here's my initial plan I used when I designed the display. The line going through the wing represents the acrylic sheet.

In order to support the model, I figured I would need to install some brass tubing through the wings. It also required me to cut the wing into two parts ( a scary process). The brass tubes were anchored in the fuselage and the final photo shows a bit how this will work. I used a scriber to cut the wing. I also tried to count for the wing dihedral when making the cut so that the model would still display in a level fashion.

So as a final note. I eventually learned that the artist I had discovered was actually using a front faced mirror and was only mounting half of the aircraft on the mirror (cut through the fuselage). This was quite effective and I will be exploring that approach in the future. I was too far along on my build to change my approach, and I was concerned through the entire build that it wasn't going to work.

• Profile Photo

This is a really inspiring technique, my friend @clipper! And I love the way you execute it (yes, cutting the wing sounds scary).
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros @fiveten. Thankfully all turned out well in the end. I get through these scary bits by reminding myself that it's only plastic and can always be fixed if something goes wrong.

• Profile Photo

This is a very impressive approach, Carl @clipper
    Not my most favorite moment to cut existing parts into seperate ones, although I once cut a bomb bay part of a Wellington into 30 seperate bay doors.

• Profile Photo

Yikes John @johnb, 30 parts. My concern with something like that is getting them all lined up again without having to do a lot of seam filling and avoiding steps.

For this model, my main concern throughout the build was whether or not the brass rods could be glued to the acrylic sheet strong enough to support the model. I didn't know for sure until I was nearly done and doing the last day final assembly of the display.

• Profile Photo

So the next phase of the build was to get the interior painted so I could begin assembly of the aircraft. As I mentioned earlier, most of the interior detail would end up not being visible, or at least not very much. But at this point in the build, I was somewhat hopeful that some of it could be seen through the small dorsal window near the vertical stabilizer, so I continued with this work.

I knew the cockpit would be mostly visible, so that was a no brainer.

I also wanted to improve my figure painting skills. I experimented with a glazing technique I learned from YouTube. And although these figures are not as good as many I have seen, they represent the best that I have ever personally done, so I was quite pleased.

I was also anxious to see what the model would look like once closed up. I liked it enough to keep going.

Little did I know just what lay ahead with exterior work. I'll get into that soon, but there was some detailing work I wanted to accomplish which will be shown next time.

• Profile Photo

The interior looks superb, Carl @clipper
    Those crew members are really nice, I do understand you are pleased with the result.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @johnb. Getting figures better is a priority for me as I want to do more inflight displays and branch into more dioramas.

• Profile Photo

Both the interior and figures look superb, my friend @clipper! Amazing how busy/full the crew positions look with crew installed!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros @fiveten. As an ex Naval aviation person myself, I can appreciate the cramped and uncomfortable conditions that these crew members had to deal with. WWII aircraft looked to be especially uncomfortable and most military aircraft I have experience with were not insulated for sound or temperature so very loud and hot/cold. Imagine those poor fellows standing at the waist gun positions in B-17's and B-24s at 25000 feet wearing oxygen masks, heavy clothing, and the 200 mph wind blasting you in the face. (or any other number of WWII bombers)