Grumman TBF-1C Avenger, RNZAF

Started by Michael Turner · 77 · 1 month ago · 1/48, Avenger, Italeri, RNZAF, TBF-1C
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

This kit is my entry in my club's "Gunna Build" competition for 2022-23.

I do have a number of kits awaiting painting, but the weather a few weeks ago was too cold and windy to use my airbrush outside, so I decided to start this one.

It is the Italeri boxing of the Accurate Miniatures kit.

I will be using decals from the AeroMaster SP48-10 "The Royal New Zealand Air Force in WWII" sheet to build a RNZAF aircraft. In particular, the aircraft will be "Plonky".

This is the mostly assembled cockpit and crew area with the bomb bay underneath.

The fuselage interior. The dark green is "Dull Dark Green" or Gunze H302 Green FS 34092 and the light green H58 Interior Green.

There is a bit of weathering still to be done and I am waiting on a Quinta cockpit detail set for the seat belts and the instrument panel, plus a few other pieces. The AM instrument panel is moulded from clear plastic and, in the original, a reversed decal was provided so that the instruments would show through the clear parts. Italeri didn't provide the decal and just advised the instrument panel to be painted black with white dial faces.

The instructions duplicate the AM diagrams but without the text that explains where everything goes in more detail.

I had to go online to find the original instructions (Scalemates.com) to work out where the silver tube piece on the left goes.

Finally, the bomb bay doors are assembled.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great start Michael - looking forward to seeing how this builds up!
    Nice to see the RNZAF scheme - an excellent choice!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @michaelt! Pity Italeri did not upgrade the instructions.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent choice and ditto start, Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 8 months, 1 week ago:

The Quinta cockpit decals arrived and have been used, plus a wash applied.

The front cockpit.

The rear crew area.

The mystery silver tubes are float light and flare release tubes. It slots through the bulkhead piece on an angle as can be seen.

The lower gun has to be installed at this stage because of the ammunition belt. This attaches to the bottom of the magazine bin and I think that is supposed to be done before attaching the bulkhead to the fuselage. I had to make a few strategic cuts to get things to fit.

I decided to install the bomb aimer seat stowed in the vertical because that is how it would have been when on the ground and because I wasn't confident I could get to sit correctly in the horizontal position when I closed the fuselage halves. I just cut off the support arms, folded the seat back down and re attached the support arms. I had to cut bits of the seat and support mount away to get the mounting right. A photo in the Squadron book show the seat stowed and the belts hanging this way - with the left belt hooked up on the seat frame.

Turret internals. You can see that the clear parts are a little cloudy and not a clear as I would like.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Superb overall progress, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 1 week ago:

This looks really good, Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 8 months ago:

Fantastic build!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Lovely work Michael@michaelt

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nice detail work. Overall, that is a terrific kit, Michael @michaelt. You’re off and running here. Are you considering using an aftermarket folded wings set?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Lovely work, @michaelt, as usual. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the project.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

@eb801 - there's only one folded wings set worth using, the Dangerboy set (speaking from experience). The set is long OOP, but Lone Star Models picked up the line. Mike may have some available at the website.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

@tcinla - I used the folded set by Dangerboy back when and yes, it's the one worth using. Good to know Lone Star picked it up. Thanks for the update. I have two more Accurate Avenger kits and an unbuilt Trumpeter 1/32 TBF that I will probably never get around to.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

G'day David (@davem), Eric (@eb801) and Tom (@tcinla),

Thanks for following along.

I'm not folding the wings for three reasons:

1. I don't have a wing fold set

2. I doubt that a Kiwi bird operating off a pacific island would have a need to fold its wings

3. I generally like to see the aircraft in full display

However, if I ever build another (USN) one, and I can find a wing fold set, I'd be open to folding the wings as a contrast to this one.

I did see an Avenger at a local air show a few years ago and was impressed with both its size - it is a big aircraft - and the hydraulic (?) wing unfolding.

So, I've put the fuselage together:

The rudder is not glued yet.

The clear parts mostly fitted very well, but a couple needed a gentle scrape/sand on their edges to fit neatly.

Very impressive, as is the general quality of fit for a kit of its vintage.

This is my fourth AM kit (two P-51s and a SBD) and have been impressed with all of them.

The wings are glued together too (as are the horizontal tails).

As this is a ground based aircraft, I'm going to allow a small amount of wing-root chipping.

I may attempt the hairspray method.

As a first for me, I intend to paint the fuselage and wings (and tail) separately and assemble the kit later.

That should save a bit of masking, particularly as the aircraft had white "shadows" under the wing roots.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent progress so far, my friend @michaelt!