Nakajima B5N2 97 Kate 1/48 Hasegawa

Started by Colin Gomez · 44 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 4 months ago:

I have lots of builds currently in progress and have had no time to model over the last month and a half. Even so, I couldn't resist taking up this kind invitation from our friend Lis and joining the Pearl Harbor GB. I will try to make this as straightforward as possible to build. The kit has two Pearl Harbor aircraft examples - both very nice. Kit decals look fine. Eduard etch is basic. The kit interior and general contents are already very nice. My only hesitation is that I would prefer to do a torpedo bomber version. I may steal the torpedo and harness from a later version of the Kate I also have. On-site IJN Experten can tell me if that is technically OK, I have no idea. Thanks in advance if you could let me know. If I went for the torpedo version it would be this one. Otherwise, I lean towards the mottle-camo, bomb-armed version of W/O Sato Haruo. Any preferences from group members?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great entry Colin @coling
    I'm not an expert in telling the correctness, but I would love to see the torpedo version.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great Entry @coling!
    Both planes that you show was carried 800Kg bomb in Pearl Harbor Attack.

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Got this one,following this build for sure!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Just caught up with your thread, my friend @coling, don't know why but it was visible to me only today, or, at least, this is what I believe! 🙂
    I too am no experten regarding the torpedo Kate, but I can see no "technical" issue whatsoever if you use the torpedo and harness from a late version. Still, Sato Haruo's plane is also looking gorgeous.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Thank you , John@johnb, Lis@lis, Marcus@mvtb and Spiros@fiveten. I worked out the version of the Kate I will do and made sure the kit decals will cover it (they are more than adequate to compete the numbers). I will be doing the aircraft of Matsumura Hirata, of the Carrier Hiryu (second from the top).

It has the same interesting brown splotches over the green camo of the kit version and is of the same squadron but was differently armed for the Pearl Harbor attack, since it carried a torpedo. I checked my other kit of the Guadalcanal Kate and realized it is not a later version, just a B5N2 which happens to have a spinner over the prop hub and a torpedo. I can easily use the torpedo and harness for the Pearl Harbor attacker. Over the weekend, I assembled and painted most of the fine details for the pit and painted it overall Gunze Nakajima Cockpit Green. This is a really nice color, paler than the Tamiya IJN Cockpit Green. I will do an oil pinwash to bring out detail once the paint is fully cured. I also did the etch and paper IP from Eduard. It was very fiddly to fit but looks pretty good in the end. It is not a pre-painted set, so I had to spray the panel Tamiya Flat Black. I try to take advantage of the fragility of the acrylic paint to let a bit wear off from handling to highlight the trim around each individual instrument bezel. You can see this if the light strikes at the correct angle. I find doing etch IPs is quite fiddly when you need to get each instrument lined up correctly behind the photo-etch. I used Gator Glue instead of Superglue this time in order to allow some tweaking of the fit. I think it looks pretty good. I got some pre-shade for the engine cylinders done in Flat Black while doing the IP etch. I will do the weathering/wash next and detail painting on the side panels. Painting and installing seat belts and final assembly will follow. Most of the kit parts are for the interior, so further assembly shouldn't take long. Test fitting of major components so far shows excellent fit! I am waiting for canopy masks in the mail. Hopefully, they will be better-fitting than the ones I just used on my Hasegawa Skyhawk. That's it for now. Comments welcome.

• Profile Photo
    Christopher C Tew said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Very good work on a good kit base, Colin. There are many versions of IJN interior green nowadays, but the Gunze does have a good look to it. Your build of the instrument panrl is excellent. The interior parts provide a really attractive mini-build from front to back.
    FWIW, with a little trimming here and there these same parts, minus the sighting scopes, dress up the interior of the old Nichimo E13A quite well.
    Yrs,
    CTew

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @coling!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Very nice work, Colin @coling
    The IP looks great.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great beginning!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 3 months ago:

I really like your markings choice Colin.
    Years ago I bought the B5N1 box thinking it was a plane used on the Pearl Harbour attack, doh!
    Well, after finding the mistake I was not discouraged and got some new decals and The Jap torpedo brassin box, so one dayI will tackle the older version albeit carrying a less interesting deco than the one you’re building here

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Christopher. Funny you should mention the quality of the kit cockpit as I plan to use it pretty much OOB, except for the etch IP. I will save the rest of the etch for my other B5N2. I think the kit parts are excellent and I want to just get going on the build overall and not get bogged down replacing plastic with etch. This should be a relatively quick construction job with most time spent on airbrushing the camo and weathering.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, John. The etch IP looks pretty convincing, in the end. The trick will be to keep it that way during further assembly.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Lis. Also, this is a great idea for a GB - very timely. I may add a Tamiya 1/32 A6M2 I got for Christmas. I have to finish some of my other builds first, though.