Nakajima B5N2 97 Kate 1/48 Hasegawa

Started by Colin Gomez · 44 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

A lot of quality work, my friend @coling! Looks superb so far!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Thank you, Tom and Spiros. I have a lot of projects on the go but expect to get 2 or 3 completed this month. Our local but quite large Heritagecon Show is in late March and I hope to have the Grace and the Kate done by then. If I can keep up my current pace, there is hope for the Tempest, Mustang and #2 Bf-109G in 1/32 as well. I have other projects to report on here soon, so stay posted (SM-79, Apache and H-21 helicopters etc. coming along). Thanks again for following.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Excellent result on the canopy, Colin @coling
    Preperation is always an important step.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. I will get some major painting done on the Kate this week. Good to get the preliminary canopy work done.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Very nice masking! A lot of work!

• Profile Photo
    Tarantino Paolo said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Wowww incredibile work ! 👏👏👏👏👏

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Bernard @lis . Glad the masking is finally done. Lots of work that made me a bit cross-eyed. More paint to go on this week.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Paolo. Glad you like it. Great to have you on board in this GB.

• Profile Photo

I got the underside painted this week. It was very interesting reviewing the wisdom on Pearl Harbor camo painting for IJN aircraft from various carriers at J-Aircraft. com. It seems most aircraft were painted on the way and somewhat crudely. There is pretty strong consensus on the undersides being a color called hairyokushoko. So to take the plunge, I pre-shaded the underside with flat black in panel lines and other crevices and tried out my version of this color. I started the camo by spraying over the black pres-shade with a darker version of hairokushoko I mixed from Tamiya paints 2 parts Flat White, 2.5 parts XF-76 IJN Grey Green and 1 part XF-49 Khaki, This gave me the greenish grey with a distinctly brown tint that matched images really well in my Kagero reference book.

I then oversprayed this, mostly in the middle of panels with a lighter version using 4 parts Flat White to the original proportions of the other colors. Overall, I wanted to spray lightly enough to have rivet and panel detail remain highlighted by the black undercoat, angling the airbrush and keeping it some distance from the surface and more in the center of each panel. I am happy with the results. Funny that the shots with the darker color inside the spray booth can seem a bit lighter than the final shots with the lighter final coat. That is just the effect of drying and lighting, I guess. Hope you like it so far. Masking and top green coat next followed by green mottle. I will do the black cowling last.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Amazing undersides painting, my friend @coling!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Very nice result on the painting, Colin @coling
    You mixture is a perfect match to the original color.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. I may clear coat it before masking. I hate getting it scuffed up in handling when doing the topside color. Flat finishes in acrylic can be very fragile. The real challenge will be the red brown mottles over the green. Should be fun.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. The shade is very subtle and varies a lot with ambient light. It looks most brown or khaki in low evening light and in photographs. I know it will seem to change again when the green coat is down to contrast with it.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Very nice shade of undersurfaces