*** FINISHED *** VMF-123 LT. Walter “Tiger” Mayberry F4U Corsair Bureau Number 02351 Tamiya 1/48

Started by Louis Gardner · 26 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Wow? What a fantastic job done, my friend @lgardner! I am really amazed not only by the amount of it, but also by the quality and attention down to every detail! What a Kindergarten! Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 2 months ago:

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Yes my friend, a man does what he has to do. Sometimes you take a hit for the team, and I took my hit by eating all of those ice cream bars ! 😉

I saved the left over ice cream sticks because they work out great to use as a parts holder while painting.

I am very pleased with the outcome of the 'Candy Apple Green" color. It is the same color as my first bicycle when I was a kid. It was made by Schwinn and it was called a "Classic Crate". These were really cool bicycles that had a big fat "racing slick" tire on the back, (with a little one on the front) and a gear shifter. Toss in a banana seat with a "sissy bar" and high rise handlebars and it was the baddest bike on the block at the time. Mine was this Candle Apple Green color and I think it was called a "Pea Picker". Each different color had a different name. Hey it was the end of the 1960's ... so what else did we expect ? 😉

My Dad got it for me at an auction, and boy was it beat up badly and missing some parts, flat tires, the works. I had to do a lot of work to it before I could even ride it. That was cool though, because this is how my Dad spent time with me, and he taught me a whole lot about mechanical things, to name some. Fast forward a few years, and I actually rebuilt my first motorcycle engine at the age of 8... and it ran great once done. It was a 2 cycle single cylinder Yamaha 100 Enduro engine. Ahhh... Those were the times. Brand new Monogram kits were less than $3 too.

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    Thank you my friend ! Even though I have the Kindergarten going, and I try to build most of my models two or three at a time, I still play catch up to you. You my dear friend are the fastest builder I know, and your quality doesn't suffer one bit from your speed.

Please stay tuned my friends for another update. It's coming right up next !

• Profile Photo

Without further adieu, here is latest news for the Mayberry Corsair.

I just realized that I have told you all something about the "Candy Apple Green" color that is wrong.

I did paint one of these 10 Tamiya Corsair's up using the Candy Green color in the cockpit area. However, it was for the George Ashmun Corsair and not this Mayberry one.

This is a problem I ran into from doing too many things at one time. That and the fact I was sick with the blasted Covid virus didn't help to keep things on track any easier.

On this Mayberry Corsair, it was painted using a Dull Dark Green color. This next picture shows you what the cockpit looks like when installed, just prior to gluing the fuselage halves together.

Now you can see the actual color of the cockpit on Mayberry's Corsair. I used Model Master RLM 70 for this color. It looks pretty darn close to my eyes once it dries.

Here in this next photo, you can see how the Ashmun Corsair on the left side has the Candy Apple Green. The Mayberry Corsair, (also being built at the same time), is wearing the more typical Dull Dark Green color.

If I have lead anyone astray by this error, it was not my intention, I can promise you that.

Captain George Ashmun was shot down in a "birdcage" Corsair that was Bureau Number 02723.

If I have correctly calculated by the production run figures by Vought, and by timing it to the official authorization to the US Navy letter dates, it shows that this odd Candy Apple Green color "could" have been used on any "Birdcage" version following the 02625 Bureau Numbers.

Sadly we do not know exactly how many were built in these colors, as for now, no additional Vought records have been found / uncovered, other than Vought did receive approval from the Navy and that Vought actually did it... painting some Birdcage Corsairs in this Bureau Number sequence using the Candy Apple Green color.

I have checked the numbers several times, so I would feel comfortable doing this again.

Where the confusion I had came was simple. Back in 2016, I built up another Tamiya F4U-1 "early" birdcage Corsair, and I used the Markings for "Daphne C", as flown by Major James Cupp. Not many know this, but he flew two different Corsairs that were named with this name "Daphne C". Major Cupp named his Corsair after his wife, Mrs. Daphne Cupp.

1/48 Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair “Daphne C” Bureau number 03829, VMF-213, Captain James Cupp
    I built the second Corsair he flew, (Bureau Number 03829), that was manufactured later than this one. Ashmun’s Corsair was the 591st Corsair that was built and Major Cupp’s Daphne C was the 632 airframe built by Vought. So that makes it 41 away from the Ashmun Corsair you see here. I also believe the second Corsair Major Cupp flew is the one he was shot down in. This is why these two have the Candy Apply Green color instead of the more usual Dull Dark Green. Now remember earlier when I said that Major Cupp flew the Corsair that was built right before the Mayberry Corsair ? That's also true. It was Bureau Number 02350, and it was his first Corsair to be named "Daphne C". Some have stated that he took the engine panel off his first plane and installed it on the second... How true this is, I don't know, but it could have happened. Clear as mud ? Yep... Please stand by, I have another update coming right up.
  • Profile Photo

Here’s some pictures to show the steps that I took with painting the Mayberry Corsair. I did some similar work on the Ashmun Corsair too.

I masked the outer lower wing panels off in preparation for the Light Gray color that was to follow.

The Inboard Flaps were prepped for paint too. This involved filling in the step opening with LQS and several sanding sessions to make things smooth. I also added the main landing gear doors at this time, since they have a better grip if installed prior to painting. Since they will end up the same color as the rest of the surrounding underside, it's not a big problem.

The horizontal stabilizers were installed, and the seam on the fuselage was taken care of too. The fit here is particularly good, so not much was necessary.

Some quality time with the air brush ended up with this. Now the underside is painted in a Light Gray color. Realizing I made a mistake, I had to come back later and mask off the Blue Gray, and paint the Light Gray again where I had over spray on the inner wing structure past the wing fold line.

This is a feature you occasionally see of Goodyear built Corsairs, having a soft demarcation line, or on planes that have been touched up in the field.

Next the inboard wing parting line at the wing fold area was masked off. I don't have any pictures of this...

I sprayed the upper surfaces Blue Gray. I didn't carry it over to the outer wing panels or fabric covered elevators and rudder. These locations will be painted in a similar color that I have added some White paint to.

The cowling, and it's cooling flaps were also painted at this time, as were the top sides of the inboard flaps.

This is what the underside looked like after the masking tape was removed. Here you can see my "mistake" with the Blue Gray bleeding over on top of the Light Gray. This was an easy fix thankfully...

The fabric areas were then carefully masked off in order to paint them a little bit lighter shade of Blue Gray. This was done because in some pictures of Corsairs that served in the South Pacific, you can see how the cloth covered areas faded at a different rate from the rest of the metal covered areas. I'm guessing this was because of the different types of paint materials that were used.

A "Dope" is used to seal and color fabric areas, while a Lacquer or Enamel was used on the metal area.

After spraying the fabric areas, this is how one of the two Corsairs looked. If this one has the Candy Apple Green in the cockpit then it's the Ashmun Corsair and not the Mayberry plane.

I might not have taken pictures of both planes at this step.

Later on I decided to go ahead and paint the ailerons in the lighter color too, since they were made of wood, and covered in fabric on the real plane.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 2 months ago:

If I might suggest, @lgardner, you should do some "sun fading" to the blue-grey upper metal surfaces - the difference between the metal surfaces and fabric surfaces (which look very good) shouldn't be quite so stark. The Marines had so few Corsairs that the squadrons had no airplanes of their own - the pilots moved up to the combat zone for six weeks than back down to Noumea, while the airplanes remained up at the front to be used by the next guys. They got a lot of sun fading, and it's just about impossible to "over weather" a Solomons Corsair.

You're probably well on to doing all this, but I just thought I'd interject if not. The overall projects are looking superb.

• Profile Photo

Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    Your observations are spot on. I painted these areas this way in preparation for the upcoming weathering, and then the final sealer coat of a highly diluted coat of Gray Blue that is mostly thinner. This allows the difference between the colors to still be slightly visible on the finished project. If I don't go this stark in contrast now, it can't be seen later.

Good eye, and good call.

The next installments will be on the weathering process I did, and I think it will be very informative.

Thanks for the compliments.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

You are doing an amazing job here, Louis @lgardner
    Paintwork is super.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Amazing job indeed, my friend @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 1 month ago:

I didn't get to post up the pictures showing the various steps I used for the weathering process on this Corsair. I will try my best to do it at a later time, possibly incorporating them into another build journal.

Good news is this one is now completed, and I have posted it in the headlines section on March 4th, as was my original hope.

I want to personally thank each and every one of you for your continued support. You make it special for all of us.

1st LT Walter "Tiger" Thomas Mayberry, USMC Reserve, VMF-123 F4U-1 "Birdcage" Corsair Bureau Number 02351, March, 4th, 1944 Tunnel Hill Massacre near Rabaul Tamiya 1/48 Corsair
    Here is a link to the finished Corsair. Please take the time to read the article. I wanted to get Lt. Mayberry's story told. This has been a 3 year project and thankfully I was able to complete my mission. Thanks again.
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

An amazing project it was, Louis @lgardner.
    You created a very nice article supported by a perfect copy of Walter's Corsair.
    I really enjoyed following your progress and the historical facts.
    Thanks for sharing all this with us.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Fantastic work!