VMF-214 "Blacksheep" Capt. Ashmun F4U-1 Corsair, Bu.No 02723 Tamiya 1/48

Started by Louis Gardner · 32 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Blacksheep, Corsair, Tamiya, VMF-214
  • Profile Photo
    Bobby McKellar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Thank you very much sir! I have had a love affair with the Corsair since I was a kid watching “Black Sheep Squadron” on TV. In the very early 80’s I was privileged enough to meet Merle Gustafson and witness him fly “The Angel Of Okinawa” at the municipal airport in Atlanta, TX. I just THOUGHT I was awed by the ones I saw on TV. When Mr. Gustafson cranked up that Pratt & Whitney R2800 and taxied out, I was blown away…almost literally LOL! We were all allowed right up on the flight line, it was just a small air show with probably about 20-25 planes total. He came roaring down that airstrip at takeoff speed and the sound rattled me from the bottom of my feet to the top of my head. He made several LOW passes almost directly over us…it was magical. I’m almost 53 now and the memories of that day still make me giggle like a school kid! Last I heard, the old girl was in storage/on display. Mr. Gustafson was a fine fellow, he let me crawl all over that bird that day, I got to sit in the cockpit and I think he was smiling just as much as I was.

To me, they are the most beautiful warbird ever created. The FW-190D9’s/Ta-153’s are the only thing that run a close second to me.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Louis,

Great to see and read that your back in the saddle and have the time and energy to do the things you love. On my Fridge the Mrs has one of those magnets that reads "Life is what happens while we are making other plans." Allen Saunders.
    Your time and energy are greatly appreciated. Having cancer in the house sucks and Covid is a one two punch. I've lost several co-workers to Covid and Cancer. Its one day at a time. I have son who got Covid and lost his taste and for a year. He commented that everything smelled and tasted like burn't rubber. Like a car tire had been set on fire.

I consider you to be one of the board "Monsters" (as the kids say), your energy and passion for the hobby, productivity in making kits and writing about them are in a league of there own. Few people can wear that mantle and be positive with what ravages of age and time have to offer. Being positive and offering the best that you can do is what life is all about. This blog is all good.