1/32 Hasegawa Ki-44 Shoki ”Tojo”

Started by Louis Gardner · 159 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Tonight I have finished the Ki-44 Shoki ! Here are a few pictures of it to show you how it looks.

The prop was painted and installed.

I somehow managed to break off one of the slide rails for the "Butterfly" combat flaps. I made a new one from scratch and installed it here. I'm pointing at it with a toothpick here. It's a tiny part and yet has been painted when I snapped the picture.

Then I installed the radio antennae cable on the mast and ran it back to the tail. You can barely see it, but trust me it's there...

Then the battery died so I'll have to post more pictures later... but it' done ! Look for it soon in the headlines section.

So I started another Hasegawa kit, also in 1/32 scale... it's a Ki-61 Hien, and it is an absolute joy to build so far ! Here's a link to the journal in case you're interested. Check it out if you can. I think you will like it.

https://imodeler.com/groups/the-empire-of-japan-1919-1946/forum/topic/1-32-hasegawa-ki-61-hien-tony/

As always, comments are encouraged. Stay safe everyone... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

What a great finish, my friend Louis @lgardner!
    This is an absolute gem of a model and I am so happy that I have followed it from the start!
    The BMF finish rocks, as well as all other aspects of your build!
    Congratulations, my friend!
    What an inspiration and what a contribution to the EoJ GB!
    Waiting to see it at the Headlines!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 5 months ago:

That finish is just superb.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you all for the kind words. I'll end up posting this one in the headlines section soon. Here are the final pictures.
    I am very pleased with how the Bare Metal Foil looks on the completed model. It really "pops" and looks like bare metal, because it is bare metal... Hey I have heard that slogan somewhere before.

Anyhow, enjoy these pictures. I finally got the battery squared away. I wanted to post these pictures in my last response.

Here's the original picture I had to work from.

Followed by the model in a similar pose.

I think I got it pretty close. I didn't want to clutter it up, so I left the drop tanks and other things off the underside of the wings. I like how it looks this way. It's much cleaner looking to me.

As always, comments are encouraged.

Thanks for following along with this build.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 5 months ago:

That turned out incredible!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Sorry I'm a bit late to the send-off party, but it is always nice to see the BMF masters work. Well done my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

What a masterpiece, Louis @lgardner!
    BMF looks astonishing!
    I agree with your decision not to clutter her up, looks much better like this.
    Looking forward to see her at the headlines!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hey Louis. Beautiful job on the Shoki! I love the way the red details jump out from the BMF finish. I heartily agree that nothing looks more like metal than metal. Lining up the model photo with the historical shot really underlines that. Congratulations on getting this one done. Sorry not to have commented earlier, I was absent form the site for about a month and a half due to a modeling dry spell.

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Oh my gosh, Louis! This looks amazing! Sorry I wasn’t here for the whole thing. Glad I looked through the process though, as it was fun to watch even in the future.