1/32 Hasegawa Ki-44 Shoki ”Tojo”

Started by Louis Gardner · 159 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

The Chromepen may be a rather difficult option in 1/32 as it is my experience that it needs to blend in wet in one go. I have a 1 and a 2mm pen, and still have to use them on other stuff than oleos and tubes.

Let us have a look at it when it is dryed up! - the BMF is awesome as usual! And on a large cowling it is just great!

• Profile Photo
    Glenn Virgo said 4 years ago:

Hi Louis. Looking great, love your techniques here. Also the blue/green Aotake looks very good. The foil is very brave. well done can’t wait to see ongoing progress. I would love to do this kit. Spot on.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Really great paintwork and detailing, Louis, I am coming late to the commentary but I have really enjoyed catching up on your build. Research on appropriate cockpit colors can be exhausting and you clearly took tremendous care to get it right. Your layered approach to aotake for the wheel wells and cowl is spot on too. I think you made some very good decisions overall with convincing results. The engine is also skillfully detailed and I liked your copper wire choice. I was interested to see that you tested the fit inside the cowling after wiring it up. I learned that this was essential when doing my 1/48 Hayate. All that extra detail can really create a tight fit, especially when using stiff wire for the ignition harness. I found out with my 1/32 P-47 that fishing line could be a good alternative to wire when there was less than ideal space to work in. Fishing line doesn't give you the curviness of wire, though, which can be important in Homare engines. Overall, the Shoki is quite a beast. It the very purposeful lines of a fast climbing point defense interceptor - a B-29 killer. I am looking forward to seeing this built up.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks gentlemen !

Michael, @faraomike
    Spiros, @fiveten
    Erik, @airbum
    Glen, @glenn73
    Colin, @coling

for the compliments and kind words of encouragement. I am very happy that this build journal has been a good read for you guys.

After numerous attempts to make a pilots seat harness, I finally threw in the towel and tossed out my feeble attempts.

So I pulled the trigger on an aftermarket set made by RB Productions. It is made by laser printed cloth and it has PE parts for the buckles and seat attachments. Some assembly is required.

Here are a few pictures I grabbed from the screen.

This is a simple lap belt and it doesn’t use the shoulder harness. Since this plane is going to be a mid production variant I think it will work out great.

This also determined my choice of cockpit paint color. Blue / gray color was most likely used on the earlier to mid production examples.

As soon as I get the harness set I will get busy with wrapping up the fuselage.

As usual comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Very nice seatbelts, it looks very realistic just as it is. Keep it coming Louis

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

That's a great looking lap belt, Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Buckle up!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Pedro ! @holzhamer
    This indeed looks to be a very nice and realistic looking set.

Thank you Sprios ! @fiveten
    Erik, @airbum
    Buckle up for another installment... : )

• Profile Photo

Here are some pictures of what arrived in the mail.

The packaging stated it is for "most Japanese Army aircraft in WW2". It does not have a shoulder harness.

The shoulder harnesses were used on some planes, so please check your references if you have them. It was a single strap that went over one of the pilot's shoulders ( I believe it was the left side going from memory), and not two straps that we are most accustomed to seeing.

This photo shows the photo etched parts.

This last picture shows the actual seat harness. It is made of paper and is laser cut. It looks much better than what I tried to make, trust me on that one...

I will try to get this assembled and will post photos once it's done. This is the only thing that is holding me back from installing the cockpit into the fuselage.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Those seat belts look AMAZING, Louis @lgardner!
    Most (all) WWII Japanese shoulder harnesses I've seen indeed emerge from the left side.
    I may usually I leave shoulder belts off in my builds. If the actual plane didn't have, I am spot-on! If it had, I pretend they are thrown back of the seat, so they are not visible... (lol).

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Just had to re-read this thread Louis. Might I comment on the first post; accidents happen! - and as this is started by accident, I kind of like your choice of accidents @lgardner! and as Spiros, I am impressed by the detail in the belts in this scale. Going to be good.

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Very nice work Louis.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Gentlemen,
    @fiveten
    @airbum
    @mvtb

Thank you all very much for the kind words, (and yes Erik, accidents do sometimes happen for a reason)... and now I have a good update to post. I have assembled the seat harness and installed the cockpit. I am very happy to say this seat harness was a huge improvement. It also was not too hard to assemble the harness. I took my time and used some Formula 560 glue to hold the fabric impregnated paper parts together. This glue was recommended by the company to use for assembly. They do not recommend using any type of CA or Super glue.

Once I assembled the seat harness, it was very easy to simply glue the straps in place. What a huge difference these seat straps have made.
    Here are a few close up pictures for you to see what I mean.

The cockpit was given some wear marks by dry brushing some silver in various places. I also used a silver pencil to replicate some of the scratches. Here are some photos that show the cockpit before I snapped it into position in the fuselage.

Here the camera angle has made the barrels look crooked. They are actually straight. This is an optical illusion.

Stand by for another update as I show how this looks once installed !

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Here's how the fuselage looks now the cockpit has been inserted from underneath. It simply snapped into position, and no glue was needed to secure it in place.

I am very happy with the choice to go this route with the aftermarket seat harness. No other aftermarket parts were used. What you see here came in the kit box. I did drill out the holes in the seat, but that's it as far as the modifications go. This is a great kit, and I can highly recommend it to almost anyone...My attempts to scratch build a seat harness was futile. There is no way I could have made on this nice... not with my current skill set.

But I do sincerely appreciate the tips that were given to me by you guys. I did try to make my own, I simply failed. No fault of yours, it's my lack of skills !

Enough talking. Lets get to the pictures ! They speak for themselves.

I am going to repaint the areas ahead and behind the cockpit opening. I will use a "Blue Black" color, and extend this to cover the anti glare areas. I have been toying with the idea to open up the side entry panels of the cockpit (ala "Spitfire"). What do you think about this idea ?

As usual, comments are encouraged.
    Thanks for stopping by...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That is some cool belts! Open the panels? - yep @lgardner, this is so detailed, and it is going to be adding to an already great build. Keep up the good work my friend.