1/32 Hasegawa Ki-44 Shoki ”Tojo”

Started by Louis Gardner · 159 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Sorry about your plane Louis but it looks like your already back at it. Looks good so far. I'm loving the color of the ailerons.

I don't know if you spray lacquers but Mr. Color 8 is a really good silver and is quiet durable to use as a base coat.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Jeremy, @jmillan
    It's unfortunate that this painting fiasco happened. I think it was caused by one of these two things.

1. The "Metallizer" spray can was very old. The paint was well past it's prime shelf date.
    2. The red, yellow and Dark Sea Blue over spray. The pin holes appeared in the areas where the over spray was the heaviest on the model.

But things happen for a reason. Now I was able to see that had I continued with the fabric control surfaces painted in Aluminum color, it most likely would have been a wrong color. Since mine is an earlier built Shoki, it most probably would have had the fabric surfaces painted in the color it now has. The Aluminum color was phased in later on during the production run.

Also I was going to use various colors of bare metal foil on the underside surfaces. I had planned on using Matt Aluminum, Chrome, and Ultra Bright Chrome.
    Now this too has changed. I will be sticking to a single shade of foil.

Here's why:

During the War, most of the Japanese planes were covered in what has been called a "Munitions Grade" Aluminum. This had the appearance of a single uniform color once installed. It was not the same type of aluminum metal that was used by the Americans on their planes. When I read this online yesterday, afterwards I talked to a good friend of mine, (and a fellow Imodeler too),
    Jaime Carreon, @jetmex

Who is a certified aircraft A&P mechanic with years of service under his belt working on planes. He confirmed my suspicions... He said this is why when you look at wartime photos of Japanese aircraft in a bare metal finish, the surface all looks to be a single color. There are no tonal variations on the surfaces like what you would see on a bare metal American aircraft from the same era. Both Nation's aircraft were constructed using aluminum, it's just that a different formula was used in the metal, and this gave the difference in appearance.

This is a great picture of an "almost" new Ki-44. Look at the sheen of the aluminum panels. They look the same to me. The rudder however has a slightly different shade to it. This could be caused by the light reflecting off it had it not been centered at the time of the photograph was taken. Another possibility is the rudder was painted using the earlier Gray Green color. This is most likely and early built Shoki, as it has the telescopic gun sight. However these gun sights were interchangeable, providing the wind shield matched the sight. To be 100 % accurate to know if this is indeed an early machine, we will need the serial number ... and that's probably not going to happen.

This one has been in service a little while, and it too displays a similar appearance. Notice the rudder looks to be painted using Aluminum Dope, as it is almost the same color as the rest of the plane. If you look even closer, the ailerons also match the wings. This is an indication these fabric control surfaces were painted using Aluminum colored dope on the fabric.

Here's a Ki-61 Hien "Tony" from the 244th Sentai that flipped over on a landing. The underside is normally not exposed to the elements and typically doesn't weather or oxidize as fast as it would if this was the top side. The metal has an even uniform appearance.

This last photo is another Ki-61 Hien that is assigned to the Akeno flying school. It too has an aluminum dope color painted rudder. You will notice the rudder on this plane is also a fairly good match for the color of the aluminum metal it's next to. If it was painted using the Gray Green color, the tonal differences would most likely been more prevalent.

It too has a uniform appearance, so I think this is most likely a true statement about the metal that was used in the construction of Japanese planes.

So I will be using a single shade of Bare Metal Foil now when I cover the underside of the Ki-44 Shoki.

I think this is why the paint messed up... It was a sign that something was wrong... and it gave me a little time to do some more digging.

Thanks for the comments. Your A6M is looking spectacular, and I like how it looks even better now that you have fixed the gap under the wind screen and sanded the panels a little more. Please keep us posted with it...
    Take care and stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks for the history and great photos Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Louis (@lgardner), one thing that stands out to me is the way the plastic does not react at all to those chemicals! I think it may have been a reaction with the first layer as you mention - the bubbles being gases that was created by the chemical reaction.
    As for the aluminium being one type used all over it is very likely. My good friend Klavs was in Japan in February, and brought back some pictures of a preserved Ki-61 that had been stripped, and all the panels looked the same, the only difference was wether the paint had been stripped, leaving a smooth surface, or the paint had been sanded, leaving a scratched surface. I recall that I thought about the panels being the same all over at the time - except a few that were replaced in more recent times.

And with the pictures bringing thoughts of deja vu it is just a matter of pushin' on my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Louis @lgardner!
    Everything happens for a reason.
    All this unfortunate painting fiasco brought the afterwards research. And man, what a research!
    Your Shoki looks spectacular, even better now that you've pushed on, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Jeremy, @jmillan
    I failed to completely answer you in my last posting. To be honest with you I have never tried Mr. Color products. I have sprayed lacquers before and I do like them... Thanks for the tip as I will have to find a replacement for my Model Master stuff once the well runs dry... I'm old school when it comes to painting. I like enamels, and I'm not a big fan of acrylics, although I do own some.

Erik, @airbum
    Yes it is quite amazing that these products don't harm the plastic. You would think they would melt away the entire airplane, turning it into an unrecognizable blob. But for some reason this stuff works to strip off paint, and it works rather well. Just make sure you don't breathe in the fumes from the oven cleaner as it is some very nasty stuff. I'm beginning to think like you, in the original over spray caused the problems... Please stay tuned as I think you will like today's updates.

Spiros, @fiveten
    Yes sir, everything indeed happened for a reason. I am so happy that I was able to find some good documentation on the aluminum alloy sheet metal that was used to skin the Japanese aircraft during the War. It also served as a time to correct a problem as I had painted my fabric control surfaces in the wrong colors for an early built Shoki. Please stay tuned as today I was pushing very hard to get some work done on the big Shoki.

Gentlemen, please stay safe and thanks for the comments. Buckle up ! Here we go for another installment...

• Profile Photo

Today was a great day at the Iron Werks. I actually managed to get a lot done.

In preparation to spray on some Aluminum Plate color, I masked off the dog dish which is actually the firewall.

The main gear and tail wheel wells / interior of the rear fuselage were also masked off in preparation of painting. Unfortunately I failed to take any pictures of the actual paint work in these areas until after I was done... I missed several steps, so I'll try to describe what I did. I was "In the Zone" rocking and rolling and didn't even think about taking pictures...

I did take a photo of the Hasegawa 1/48 B5N "Kate" wheel well which was also stripped and painted using the same color. This picture will give you an idea of how these parts looked.

Once the Aluminum Plate was sprayed I used some Tamiya Clear Blue and gave these areas an uneven coat. This was the base for the Aotake Blue Green color that I was trying to replicate. These colors often varied in both hue and intensity. I have read that the color shifted to more of a green as it aged and was exposed to the elements.

Once the Clear Blue was sprayed on, I simply swapped over to Tamiya Clear Green and gave a few little random spray daubs here and there. No pattern was attempted as I wanted it to look natural.

You can see how it looks once this was done. I am very happy with the way this is looking now... and it gets even better. These next pictures show you how it looks with the Aotake Blue / Green completed.

The masking was removed and now you can get a better idea of what you are looking at.
    Notice how the blue shifts into green and vice versa.

Now it was time to start covering the undersides using some Bare Metal Foil. I decided to go with the shade called "Matt Aluminum".

I started on the wingtip, and worked my way across. Since I wanted to achieve a uniform look, I used large pieces of foil instead of how I normally go about this.

Normally I will cover each panel individually. It was not necessary this time, but I did change it up a little here and there to make it look more interesting. This foil has a grain to it, and it will change how the panels look as the light reflects from it.
    Here I am installing a large piece of foil on the center of the wing. It's best to start in the middle and work your way out. If you get a wrinkle in the foil, simply lift it up and try again until it lays down nice for you.

Before too long I had the underside of the Shoki covered in foil. I did vary a few of the panels, and here you can see how it changed the appearance. This is still the same color, it's just oriented in a different direction.

I still have to carry the foil up the sides of the fuselage, so I can spray the camouflage over it and get a soft edge. Tonight we are expecting a little Hurricane to stop by and visit us. It will stay all day tomorrow and leave tomorrow night sometime.

Hopefully we don't lose power or our internet service for too long. If we do, this might be the last posting you see from the Iron Werks for a while.

Take care everyone and stay safe. It's time to call it a day.

As always, comments are encouraged. Good night.

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis @lgardner!
    It is simply amazing how your Tojo went back to painting start and came out a lot better than before; with deeper research, too!
    Your Aotake rendition is really great.
    The same goes for the bare metal foil, too.
    This is going to be super!
    Hope the hurricane will be experienced only as a strong nature phenomenon, with no further consequences!
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

Louis, as always you BMF works wonders. I am certain that you told us before, but to recap; do you use cotton swabs / cocktailsticks or just plain old fingers to get the BMF into the panellines etc?
    The Aotake color explanation was new to me - I thought it was more of a uniform color - very useful info!

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    The forward speed of the hurricane has slowed down considerably, so it is taking longer to get here than originally thought. So far we have only had a few outer rain bands come through. I am hoping this one is not going to be as bad as the others have in the past. Thanks for the compliments on the Shoki.

Erik, @airbum
    I used a combination of things when apply the foil. I start out using my fingers, and I use cotton swabs to get into the areas I can't reach. Then I have a wooden tooth pick that I have sanded down so that the point is rounded and not sharp. I use this to press the foil into the panel lines and rivet holes. It's like anything, the more you do it, the better you get at it. Give it a try sometime as I think you would like it.

As far as the various shades of Aotake I found these photos at Cole's Aviation website.

Some of these parts were samples from the same aircraft, such as this part shown here which is a single part but it has multiple Aotake colors on it.

These are photos of actual panels that were cut out as souvenirs by veterans. I believe this photo was posted on Jaircraft.com. It shows the variations that could be found.

So yes Aotake can be anything you want it to look like... as long as it is some shade of green / blue / yellow.

Take care and stay safe gentlemen... and I hope to have another update later tonight.

• Profile Photo

Hope the Hurricane situation will be tolerable!
    Those are amazing Aotake pics, Louis @lgardner; setting the modelling mind to reasonable perspective approaches.
    Thanks for bringing them on.
    Bare metal foil is like a dream!
    Of course, tuned in for a possible Shoki update!

• Profile Photo
    Klavs Nielsen said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Well, my friend Erik was walking down memory lane and pushed on to me...not hard, just gentle

As he wrote earlier I brougth back some pictures of this preserved Ki-61 II at Gifu-Kakamigahara Air and Space Museum at the beginning of this year.

Most of the panels looked very much the same and the difference might depend on the method of stripping of the paint. However a few panels differ i.e. the panel on the underside of fuselage below the insignia and the large squared panel in front of the cockpit - I guess these panels might have been replaced in more recent times.
    But what about the panels around the exhaust stacks, the panels supporting the fairing of the horizontal stabalizer and the fairing at the wings? To me they seem to be of another aluminium alloy than the rest of the panels - or what do you think?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That's not just any Ki-61 there. That's a late bird, Ha-140 engine, long nose. wide fin and rudder. Absolutely Gaw-Juss. Ki-61 II Kai Ko. Rara Avis indeed. That's a beautiful profile shot. I have the 1/32 Alley Cat conversion set for the real late one with the cut down spine, must get to it in this lifetime...

• Profile Photo

Louis (@lgardner) - as always you produce some interesting facts - thank you!

Klavs (@klavs1972) thank you for sharing these nice pictures. The differencies in color looks to me to be accompanied in a difference in sheen, and I think it may be down to later restorations? But it could be down to another alloy used by some small parts manyfacturer. Lets hear the jury on that one 🙂

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    The Hurricane was downgraded to a Tropical Storm, and it went by us last night. Thankfully this was not a problem for us. We didn't lose power or internet service, and only received a little bit of rain when the outer feeder bands went through. The News media played it up worse than it actually was... imagine that !

So I did get some more work done on the Shoki. Thanks for the compliments.

Klavs, @klavs1972
    Those are some magnificent photos ! Thank you very much for posting them.

I have only seen a few pictures of this particular plane before online when I was doing some research for my 1/48 scale Tamiya Ki-61. As far as the difference in the appearance of the panels, it is possible they look different due to the method used to strip the original paint from the surface. It is also possible they have been replaced at some point later down the road after the plane was manufactured. If this happened, they are not original to the plane and this also would make them look different. Going from memory, this plane was "restored" by Kawasaki to this static state you see now. I have only seen one Ki-61 in my lifetime, and that was the fuselage owned by Kermit Weeks. They are some extremely rare birds indeed...

As far as the different metal that is placed around the exhaust that is entirely possible. These areas are subjected to more heat that the rest of the airframe. I know on the P-51 Mustang as an example, with a similar style engine (V-12) they used a different metal around the exhaust. You can see it here in a picture I took a little while ago.

This panel is a different alloy and might even be a stainless steel. I'm not sure exactly what type of metal it is, but it is definitely different from the surrounding panels. Here is another picture of another Mustang showing the panels that surround it. This one was flown regularly by our friend and fellow Imodeler Jim Harley. I took this photo about 2 years ago of "Betty Jane" as they were starting the tour across the Country.

You can definitely see the differences here.
    Thanks for posting.

Bill, @billkoppos
    I say go for it and build your factory cut down hot rod ! I have one of the older Hasegawa 1/48 versions, and it really does look sharp. Now is the perfect time...

Erik, @airbum
    I think your comments about this sheet metal skin replacement are spot on. But I have learned to never say never... as you just never really know. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who worked for Kawasaki on the Ki-61 static display.

Thanks gents for the comments. Here is another update coming up next...