1/32 Hasegawa Ki-44 Shoki ”Tojo”

Started by Louis Gardner · 159 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Yesterday I made a lot of good progress on the Shoki.

I was covering the sides of the fuselage with Bare Metal Foil, and decided to continue on with the process... Before I knew it, I had the majority of the fuselage done. Then I had an idea...

So in order to allow me to build this plane as an all metal BMF, I decided to mask off and spray the upper aileron surfaces.

Here's how it looked once the tape was removed.

After these photos were taken, I completed the rest of the fuselage. Now I am having second thoughts about covering up this beautiful looking foil work... and I might just go ahead and do it up as a BMF plane...

What are your thoughts ?

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Louis,

I haven't been on the EoJ GB for awhile, so I am just catching up with your work. I really feel for you in you earlier metalizer/Future mishap but you saved it perfectly and soldiered on. It reminds me of my mishap with the hinomarus. I had to leave that one for awhile to regain my gumption. BTW, in using acrylics, all I need is a spray of Windex to melt away a bad finish (for Tamiya or Gunze) or soap and water if I use MM Acryl or Life Color. Acrylics don't go down so easily -being finicky in an airbrush - but they sure clean up with no fuss. Every kind of paint has its advantages and disadvantages. I like the BMF option you chose for the undersides. I have done only one BMF bird - a CF-104 in 1/48. My only regret with that was having used OLD matt aluminum which can look yellowed under bright light. I wouldn't have thought BMF could age like that but it wasn't visible until photography time. This is how it looks under more subdued sunlight + LED, maybe not too bad under those conditions.

The BMF on the 104 is matt aluminum, mostly, applied panel by panel and deferentially buffed for contrast. Anyway, your BMF looks just right and obviously hasn't suffered from shelf life like mine did. You application is exactly right for the uniform effect you wanted for the late war manufactured metal. I really like the "grain " on the BMG, in general. Nothing looks more like metal than actual metal. Incidentally, I am amazed by your research in actually knowing what kind of aluminum the Japanese used in late war construction and how it looked. That is really good to know for the rest of us doing IJA/IJN stuff. Great work and shared research. Your Shoki build is a valuable tutorial in research and methodology.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Who would have guessed - Louis thinking of doing a complete BMF bird! Go ahead my friend, knock our socks off!

• Profile Photo

Colin, @coling
    These pictures of your F-104 are fantastic ! It looks exceptional and this is the perfect subject for a BMF model... You said it when nothing looks more like metal than actual metal. How very true.

I also have oriented some of the panels on my Shoki because just like you mentioned the foil has a grain to it. If you rotate the foil 90 degrees and then apply it to an adjoining panel, the results stand out, even if you are using the same color (which I am). The contrast is even more stark if you use various shades of the foil. I have 3 that I typically use. They are Ultra Bright Chrome, Chrome, and Matt Aluminum, and I'm using the Matt Aluminum shade almost exclusively on this particular build.

I try to include a lot of information in all of my build journals when possible. I also will include photographs to back up what I am saying when they are available. I don't make things up and claim it to be Gospel. To do that is downright wrong... Instead I present the facts and let the reader decide what they want to use for their builds and make an better informed decision. The information I present with my builds is based on the best I have available at the time, and like everything, it could change as new information is uncovered. For me the digging into the history is just as much fun as the actual building.

Hey Erik ! @airbum
    Yes I have decided to go the complete BMF route... Time will tell if this is a temporary lapse in judgement or a good call...

• Profile Photo

Here is how the big Shoki looks right now...

The fuselage is done.

The previous talk we had about the various metals behind the exhaust on the P-51 Mustang got me thinking about this same area on the Ki-44. So I used a little artistic license in this area and who knows ? This could actually be quite right ... I used Ultra Bright Chrome for the panel that goes behind the huge exhaust pipe. I'm hoping this will look more like Stainless Steel which is possibly what was used in this area on the real plane.

The undersides are now finished, other than painting on the white "Bandages" that will go behind the Hinomaru markings on the fuselage and wrap the wings.

I will have to use some very low tack tape when I mask off the foil to paint these areas. If not, when I remove the masking tape, the foil can very well come up at the same time. This is going to be a bit tricky... Had I made this choice in advance, I could have painted these areas first, and also saved myself some time and foil...
    I am almost certain that I will go with the plane shown on the box art. This is a "Limited Edition" kit and I have yet to see one painted in these markings.

It has some very bright colors, so I think it will look great with a BMF setting. Here's a close up of the box art, and what I will try to make mine look like.

Now I will have to go and mask off the area that will be painted in white...

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

BMF and 1/32 - that can not go wrong. It will be very interesting to see how the paint will behave on top of the foil. As always, I love seeing these builds of yours - keep that metal "flowing"! (I still have to figure out how to make the silver sheets we discussed long ago stick to plastic AND behave - lay flat that is)

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Louis @lgardner! What a wonderful progress! Man. You HAVE been busy! I love how your Shoki turns out. I mostly like your detailed descriptions, thoughts and decisions; all along with those nice conversations with the great mates here. Modelling motivation at its best.
    Your exhaust panelling decision is most probably right. I go for it too.
    Keep up the pristine work, my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Loving the BMF Louis! Looks awesome

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Tis a work of art I say, your bare metal foil work!

• Profile Photo

Erik, @airbum
    BMF in 1/32 can either make the model or break it, as the details are much more obvious in this scale. I have sprayed on top of the foil, and it has worked out rather well. It behaves exactly as one would expect a non primed surface to, in that the paint will flake off very easily. I had to do a little touch up on the Blue Black behind the cockpit. Taping the foil off is another scary part. It is touch and go as you remove the tape. You also have to go back and press the foil down as the tape tries to lift it off when you remove the tape from the surface.

I would definitely recommend painting everything first, and then going back and adding the foil covering. This was my fault, as I had not picked out the color scheme I wanted to use until the very end... and then I decided to go this route. It would have been easier to paint everything first.

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thanks for the kind words. I also think it was a good call to change up the foil color around the exhaust. These discussions that we have seem to spark good thinking, and I always learn new tricks from fellow builders. I have an update coming up next that you will enjoy...

Jeremy, @jmillan
    Thank you my friend. I have been watching your A6M come to life, and it is a beautiful plane. You have built yourself a little masterpiece right there...

Robert, @roofrat
    Thank you very much, and I am happy to see you stopping by... Stay tuned for another installment.

• Profile Photo

I had to wait for the white paint I sprayed on several days ago to dry. Once I felt it had dried enough, I masked off the areas ahead and behind the cockpit in preparation to paint the Blue Black color. I used a low tack tape, in hopes it would not remove the foil once I was trying to pull the tape off.

This was very tricky, but thankfully it was done with minimal damage. Here you can see how the area looks once it was sprayed. Believe it or not, this is a WW2 US Navy color... Dark Sea Blue is a perfect match.

The exhaust and engine were installed next. I had these parts previously completed, so in a few minutes, the engine was on the plane. I think the added detail to install the spark plug wires really improved the look of the engine considerably.

Then I simply pressed the cowling on. It has not been permanently glued in position. This will allow me to display the engine exposed if I want to. So far it fits so well that gluing it in place will not be necessary.

Here you can see how the exhaust looks, and how the Ultra Bright Chrome foil was used to replicate the stainless steel sheet metal that was near the exhaust system.

Now that all of the masking tape has been removed, and the engine and cowling are installed, this is how the Ki-44 Shoki looks now.

I am very pleased with how it is turning out. I'm going to go finish applying the foil on top of the wings next. It's possible there will be a new update later tonight. Time will tell.

As always, comments are encouraged. Stay safe everyone.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Wow, Louis @lgardner! What a wondrful update. The Tojo looks real!
    I lke the different tone of the small panel aft of the exhaust.
    This US NAVY Dark Sea Blue turned out really interestingly...
    Waiting for the wings now!

• Profile Photo

I am very appy to see it turned out that nicely with the paintwork. The large White areas are gonna add plenty of interest with the red added - well, it is already a colorful bird, but with promises of more!

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thank you for the kind words. Your wait is over, as now I have finished all of the foil work. I even added the decals and painted some things. I think you will like the next installment.

Erik, @airbum
    I sincerely appreciate your compliments. Thank you. please stay tuned for the next update. This colorful bird will become even more colorful...

• Profile Photo

I have completed all of the foil work, and added the decals.

Here I have added the final foil pieces.

Next the cowling flaps were painted red, as was the red flash on the vertical fin. The cowling was then securely glued in place, as for some reason it no longer fit as nicely as it did before, and it made the engine look off centered.

Then the decals were applied, and the model was allowed to dry overnight.

It's getting closer to being done... Now on to the final 10 percent, which means that 90% of the work will have to be done.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by...