1/350 Japanese destroyer Akizuki

Started by Jay Mitchell · 92 · 2 years ago · 1/350, Akizuki, Destroyer, Japanese navy
  • Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

About 2 years ago I built Tamiya’s 1/350 scale Destroyer Yukikaze, and really enjoyed it, it’s such a nice kit. I recently acquired two more Japanese tin cans in the same scale. A Hasegawa Shimakaze and a Wave Akizuki.

I thought this might fit in with this group build.

I chose the Akizuki to build first . It’s a beautiful ship , designed to provide anti-aircraft protection for larger ships such as aircraft carriers and merchant ships.

I think there was about 12 built in it’s class , although many more had been planned. The deteriorating war situation caused the building of the planned ships to be cancelled. This ship was completed in June 1942 and , like many other Japanese ships, was destroyed by US Navy carrier aircraft in October 1944.

I’ve never built a model by Wave before. It seems like a pretty detailed kit.

I started out last night by putting together the gun turrets and torpedo tubes, and using some liquid masking fluid to mask certain areas in preparation for painting.

I invested in some Tamiya spray paint that was especially formulated for Japanese warships. I’ve always considered Tamiya spray paints to be the “ Champaign of paints”. It’s certainly priced like Champaign .

Generally I’m a OOB builder and don’t buy aftermarket detail sets and try to stay away from PE as much as possible . This kit has a fair amount of PE. I chose to make the 1942 version of this ship rather then the 1944 version partly because it has less PE required. My vision and clumsy fingers do better if I keep things as simple as possible . However, I may try adding some rigging to this one.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

This is a wonderful entry, my friend @ssgt!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros @fiveten ! , I’m glad to be a member in good standing in this group.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

A great addition to this groupbuild, Jay @ssgt
    Looking forward to the progress of the Akizuki.

• Profile Photo

Hi John @johnb, I’ve got the deck and lower portion of the hull masked off and ready to be painted as soon as the spirit hits me to do it. The liquid mask makes things easier .

• Profile Photo

I’ve done a little painting . I’ll give it a day or two to dry well, and do some more masking.

The instructions for this kit are in two languages. Very helpful. Chinese & Japanese. Luckily the illustrations and part numbers are in English. I’m just using photographs from the internet and the color pictures on the instructions as guides.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Not many ships being built on this GB, I for one am very glad seeing your seemingly pretty detailed destroyer taking shape. I’ve never heard about Wave, is it a Japanese maker?

• Profile Photo

It’s a Japanese company but the kit was made in China, Pedro @holzhamer .

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Jay, @ssgt
    This is a very interesting subject and I look forward to seeing what you do next. Like Pedro, I have never heard of this company before either. Judging by the pictures you posted, this looks like it is a very detailed model. Thanks for starting this journal.

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis ,@lgardner ! This kit was ordered from a distributor in Japan and took several weeks to get here. The model is very detailed, but I don’t think it’s quite as nice as the Tamiya DD I built a couple of years ago. So far it’s been smooth sailing though.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @ssgt!

• Profile Photo

Thanks buddy @fiveten ! It looks better with some paint on it . I think it’ll turn out well. Slow & steady.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Nice steps done, Jay @ssgt
    Those instructions look very clear with colored examples as well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John , @johnb. ! It’s a nice change of pace to be working on a ship for a change.

The instructions are very clear. Though I don’t know how to read Chinese or Japanese , I am fluent in pictures.

• Profile Photo

Today I did some more masking & painting on the deck. For the little details and touch up work, I’ll need to use a brush. Probably spray some out of the can in to a airbrush bottle for that chore. The raised lines on the brown linoleum portion of the deck are very pronounced, much more so then on the Tamiya kit. Scale sailors would probably have to be careful not to trip over those.

I also attached the rudder and propeller shafts to the hull. I’ll let them dry for a day and then mask the hull to have its bottom painted . The prop shafts are very spindly and could be easy broken. There are several such thin pieces in this kit. Need to be extra extra careful.

I placed the completed Tamiya Yukikaze next to the Akizuki. The Akizuki was a bit longer. I suppose because it had 2 main gun turrets up front, rather then the one forward turret on Yukikaze .