Started by John Healy · 44 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years ago:

Here we go! This is what’s in the box.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Hello John @j-healy
    That's a neat little kit you picked. I can't say that I have ever seen one built before. It reminds me of a Curtiss fighter in more ways than one...especially when you look at the 3 view plans for it. The wings and tail surfaces almost look like they could have interchanged between the two. I have a 1/48 scale Fine Molds Ki-10 in the stash... You're tempting me !

Please keep us posted on your progress, and thanks for joining us.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the invite, Louis. It’s a brand new kit. I’m looking to start it in the next week while I finish up another project.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Now THAT's a choice, John. It will definitely be one of the GB stars!

• Profile Photo

I started in the cockpit, imagine that! It’s a simple setup in a really small plane. It is noticeably smaller then a USN F4B or F3F. The parts are molded sharply but the floor and rear bulkhead required some trimming and sanding to fit inside the fuselage halves. I’ll finish assembling the cockpit tommorow and spray it Old Silver, followed when dry with a coat of Humbrol clear blue. Apparently these planes interiors were only finished with a coat of tinted clear Aotake enamel.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

This looks like a really interesting build. I have never seen this plane built before, so I am interested to see how it goes.

• Profile Photo

That's good job, John! Got to love those past times Japanese cockpits with their interesting colours!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Hello John,
    You have been busy, and it is looking great. This is the very first model of this type I have seen, let alone being built. The USN planes you mentioned were small in size when compared to later typical WW2 American fighters. This one has to be tiny !

• Profile Photo

I drilled out the anchor points for the rigging today and collected the paints I need for this project.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great details, John, gradually putting together this beauty. The fabric effect on the wings looks stunning.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years ago:

Am really curious to see how this kit builds. A new company coming up with a plane that until now was absent from plastic...all ingredients for a major audience here 😉 looks good so far

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Thank you for sharing this interesting plane with us! I never did study the japanese planes before, but this GB just brings out so many cool airplanes. I shall be tuned in on your build here.

• Profile Photo

I got a bit done on this one today. Painted the interior components, assembled the wheels and top wing, partially drilled out the exhaust collectors, and got most of the engine assembled.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Very nice indeed! I had given myself the idea that the color might have been a bit more bluegreen, but this looks good! I have to say I have no knowledge of japanese colors whatsoever, so that was just an observation, not a critisism.

• Profile Photo

I’ve seen both green and blue casts to this color. Apparently it was hand mixed and if done properly, started out blue but gradually shifted to blue green. I know very little about Japanese colors but picked this tidbit up from the Aviation of Japan website.