1/48 A2N3 Type 90 naval fighter.

Started by John Healy · 44 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

Nifty little beastie. Good start

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years ago:

Interesting choice John, look forward to seeing her done.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Thank you for the explanation on the color John - Very good explanation indeed. I will have to visit the site before commencing anything Japanese myself.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years ago:

The weather was decent for a few days and I worked on my garden instead of modeling. Another properly socially distant, solitary pursuit. Today however, was rainy and I made some solid progress on this one. I modified some British seat belts to stand in. The instrument panel decals worked great. Very thin and perfectly measured for the molded bezels. The fuselage and lower wings are all glued together now. The upper cowling and engine are perfect fits. I’m going to install the engine at the end of the project so I can access the drilled anchor points for the rigging from inside.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Looking great, @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

Significant progress today on this one. Seams sanded out and landing gear assembled. Very interesting suspension on this one.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Have never seen this suspension before. Very cleverly engineered.

• Profile Photo

Great progress here - fingers crossed for a few more rainy days! It appears that someone had a KIS-moment on that suspension. Can't wait to see the rigging coming along.

• Profile Photo

More progress today. Biplane kits that don’t include securely positive strut locators present a problem. This kit is better then many and includes well defined location points. That said, you need to measure and trim your struts carefully so that they match. I elected to install the cabanes first in order to avoid glue messes after the plane is painted. The main struts should pop right in during final assembly. I also finished painting the engine today.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I haven't built any biplanes since my youth, but with a few in the stash I shall be sucking all the tips and tricks I can from your build! That engine looks very nicely painted.

• Profile Photo

Mr. Color red#3 over Tamiya white primer. I’ll mask it up tommorow and spray the silver. I’m going to finish it as option #2, Ryujo, 1936.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

Looking good

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Very nice ! The red color is really going to make this one pop...

• Profile Photo

Now it starts to llok really amazing!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Main painting is done. Sprayed directly from a new can of Tamiya aircraft silver heated up in hot water to help it flow. I need to do some black detail painting, then start decals.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.