1/48 Arii Nakajima Ki-44 “Shoki” (Tojo)

Started by Jeremy Millan · 34 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Jeremy (@jmillan), generally speaking folks are getting to grips with their lives these days, but soon it will be qualitytime again for most - at least in the northern hemisphere 🙂

I did try some stretched styrene in one of my builds after seeing it done with success in other builds here on iModeler. I like the filed intakes a lot, they look just right!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I go with @airbum's comments above, jeremy @jmillan!

Have you tried stretched sprue in the gaps? Well, just an idea...

Your Tojo looks fantastic!

I was quite busy in a few projects and some other GBs lately, but my started Nichimo Ki-45 here: (https://imodeler.com/groups/the-empire-of-japan-1919-1946/forum/topic/ki-45-toryu-nick-mini-group-build-build-em-if-ya-got-em/) will reappear at the latest postings soon!

Indeed, your comment served as an extra motivation and thanks for this!

Waiting for your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Update on the Tojo. The quick version since it’s been a while. Haha . So I primed it, sprayed some silver for chipping, sprayed hairspray on silver areas, did a marbling layer on top of that followed by the surface camo color. Then I tested the waters and started the chipping using a wet stippler brush. Also Painted the anti glare panel, masked the canopy, painted the engine, and made a back plate for the spinner since there wasn’t one. Also made some masks to spray the markings for the livery I chose which I’ll do next. Having fun with this one. Hope everyone is doing good and staying safe out there. Cheers

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

That is a very good paintjob. I like the spinner detail with the clutch for the starter!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik @airbum I didn’t know what that part was called or it’s purpose.

• Profile Photo

Looking really great, Jeremy @jmillan!
    Love the paintjob, paintchipping, canopy and prop jobs and finally the engine.
    Well done so far!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Jeremy, @jmillan
    Your model is coming along very well. The paint work looks very nice. I personally have been very busy with many other "life" events that have been keeping me away from the work bench. I have two other projects that have a priority as they have a December deadline. Once these builds have been completed, I will finish up my 1/32 Hasegawa Ki-44 "Tojo" and the 1/48 Kate. In addition to the pair of Ki-45's I will build along with Spiros, I have been considering building yet another Japanese plane as well, but time will tell if I do this or not.

The device on the spinner is part of what they call a "Hucks" starter. Many aircraft from this era used it. A separate ground vehicle was used to turn the engine over until it started. It was used on aircraft starting in WW1. A long drive shaft was operated by the ground vehicle. As it turned, the shaft would turn the engine over, allowing it to start. If you look close at the way it is shaped, it will "disengage" one the engine has fired up and is running on it's own.

It was widely used by the Japanese on various aircraft as well. Here are a few pictures showing how it was done by the Japanese.

• Profile Photo

Wow, Louis, @lgardner, I had never seen such pics before and, frankly, I didn't know about this starter.
    There are so many things I learn being with you guys here!

• Profile Photo

@lgardner Good to hear from you Louis! Yes it sounds like you have a lot of projects going on. Like Spiros said, thanks for the pics and the explanation of how the starter works. So interesting. Love learning something new. Cheers!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the pictures @lgardner - actually the russians also used them in WWII and indeed they were all precedded by the Hucks Starter. Now, where to get a japanese starter in 1/48? That would make an interesting addition to this GB 😉

@fiveten and @jmillan, isn't it great to learn new stuff all the time as we seem to do here on iModeler. Love it.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    Here's a link to a 1/48 scale build :
    http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2016/09/richard-tools-starter-truck-conversion.html
    This link has several other "links" that will take you to the actual building process. I hope you enjoy this and it is of some help.

You are correct about the Russians using this type of starter on their planes too. I found numerous photos online of them as well as some British and Japanese aircraft using this starting system.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis (@lgardner). Now I have to source a few Hasegawa Isuzu kits (still searching for a fueltruck)

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Your Shoki is roaring toward the finish line and looking great, Jeremy. I like the hairspray technique you did for paint wear and all of your other airbrushing is working out very smoothly. it is tough to get a monochrome green camo to look interesting and what you are doing with pre-shading is very effective (particularly with Otaki rivet detail to add detail to add surface and depth). I am using pre-shading plus oil washes over clear coat on my Sherman tank to make plain OD look more lifelike. I am already missing how instantly good subtly-weathered aircraft look with fewer layers to handle.

I hope to add more images of my Shiden Kai soon to increase traffic to the EoJ GB. I hope my efforts at paint wear in 1/32 come out as nice as yours on the Shoki.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 5 months ago:

It's finished Fellas. Again thank you to everyone for following along and offering words of encouragement and knowledge.

1/48 Arii Nakajima Ki-44 II Hei Shoki (Tojo)
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

"See ya in the headlines!"
    Well done @jmillan!