1/48 Fine Molds Ki-10 ”Perry” Biplane

Started by Louis Gardner · 51 · 11 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

WOW - Louis (@lgardner), that is such a little gem. Too bad it does not come with a DB engine too - I shall be seriously thinking of adding one to my stash, even without any 109 connections. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thank you for the compliments on the decal work. I am very pleased with how the prop looks and using bare metal foil on the face of the blades really makes them pop and resembles the look of a highly polished propeller blade very effectively. Stay tuned as the next installment is coming right up...

Erik, @airbum
    I agree this little kit is a real gem. It looks very good right out of the box, and it builds up beautifully. What more could you ask for ? Should you decide to get one of these for your stash, I do think you would be happy. You would be even more pleased when you started building it. It has been an absolute joy from start to finish.

Speaking of finish... check out the next installment. I think you will like what you see.

• Profile Photo

Last night I had the chance to get some work done on the "Perry".

I used a Tamiya weathering deck and some black pastel chalk to make some exhaust stains. I didn't go crazy with it, as most of these planes look to be very clean in the few pictures you find online. Once I was happy with the appearance, I installed the exhaust. This reminds me of how the early 109's looked...

Hey Erik, @airbum
    That's a way to link this kit to your 109 stash ! You could say the exhaust looks very similar to the A-D series of 109's.

Then it was off to the rigging shop... I started out with all intentions to use elastic rigging line, and attempted using some "EZ" line on one of the wires that was the hardest to get to... Notice the key word here... attempted. It did not go well.

Problems started right away. I think my CA glue is too old and it didn't want to cooperate with me. The EZ Line ended up sticking to my tweezers and I was only able to get one end of the first wire connected... Frustrated and upset, I walked away.

After eating dinner, I came back with new enthusiasm and joyfully pulled the offending EZ line off the model. This wasn't too hard, as only one end was stuck in place.

Plan B went into effect. Using florists wire, I started cutting several pieces of wire, after taking a rough measurement. Each one was custom fit into place. Once I found the wire would fit on one side, I checked the same wire for fit on the other side of the plane, sort of a mirror image fitting if you will.

I went from there and made each wire one at a time. When I was happy with how it fit, I would glue them in place so that things didn't get mixed up along the way. This was very easy to do, and it has an added bonus. The wire looks more like wire... because it really is wire. 🙂

It might be just a tad too big in diameter for 1/48 scale, but it looks great on my Werner Voss 1/28 scale Revell Dr-1 that I backdated to an early F-103 prototype.

In the process I discovered I somehow have nicked the paint on the Port side of the fuselage, just ahead of the cockpit. Also after taking a closer look at the instructions, it seems the plane I chose to build does not have a radio antennae mast... so off it goes ! I will mask the surrounding area on the upper wing, and carefully cut it away and file / sand it to shape.

Then it will need a few spots of touch up painting, and I'll probably give it a coat of gloss clear last. It looks a little too dull for my liking.

Then this little plane will be done, and then it will be time to finish up the pair of Hasegawa Ki-45's.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking amazing, my friend @lgardner!
    Calling it done?

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Not quite done just yet... I still have to touch up the chipped paint on the fuselage, and remove the antennae mast. Then I will give it a light coat using gloss clear, and if things go well, it will then be done... It is very close to being done. I also have to paint the cooling fins on the nose a silver color.

Then I will finish up the twin 1/48 Hasegawa Ki-45 Toryu builds next... Our big mutual build Heinkel 219's are getting closer 🙂

Thank you for the compliments.

• Profile Photo

Cannot wait for our Uhu mutual builds my friend @lgardner!
    My Uhy is idling now, but no worries: too many projects are "in progress" status and running!
    Then it will be our B-1s, the A20/P70, let alone the current AND amazing future GBs (did I say Luftwaffe? Or, did I? 🙂 )
    This is all so exciting!

• Profile Photo

Great progress Louis (@lgardner)

That’s a way to link this kit to your 109 stash ! You could say the exhaust looks very similar to the A-D series of 109’s.

If I see the shape correctly, it could be an early Hispano Suiza engine (will have to check up on that), and as the Spaniards wanted to re-engine their 109's they first put a Hispano-Suiza engine in theirs - we are getting closer to adding one to the stash here my friend 🙂

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    I am right there with you, with all of these wonderful builds we have planned. As soon as I complete a few more building obligations, such as the Ki-45's, a pair of Hasegawa Ki-61's and a 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito, I will get busy with our planned projects and it will be full speed ahead. I'm actually looking forward to finishing up the A-20's too. I had originally planned a bare metal finish on mine, and have already painted on the alternating red and white tail stripes. That is what I really wanted.

But I recently found a cool looking original color photogragh that shows a pre or very early war OD Green over Neutral Gray paint scheme, that also used the red / white tail stripes and had "US ARMY" under the wings. That is what I was looking for...the tail stripes with US ARMY markings...
    However, nothing beats a nicely executed bare metal finish, and you know how I like using foil. 🙂

Yes you did mention the Luftwaffe group... I can't hardly wait for that one to start either. I am just as excited / stoked about this upcoming group build as you are. I'm sure it will be a good one, possibly even a rival to our highly successful Empire of Japan group. Time will tell.

Good news, I finished this sweet little biplane... Please stay tuned my friend, and I'll show you the final steps.

Erik, @airbum
    Thank you very much for the compliments. I will do some digging too, and find out about the Hispano Suiza engine link... I think you might be on to something there. One thing for certain, this engine is a standard upright V engine and not an inverted one like Uncle Willy used in his planes. It also reminds me of the early "Anton" Ju-87... Didn't they use a Rolls Royce Kestrel in them ? The ptototype Ju-87 and the prototype Bf-109's ?

I'm just going from memory here, so please don't quote me on that... as I'm not 100 percent sure.

Yes I can see you getting one of these for your stash, but first we need to find a link to somehow make it fit in with your collection of 109's. I am positive if you ever build one of these little darlings, you will be pleasantly surprised at just how nice they go together. It has been the most enjoyable biplane model build that I have ever done...

In fact I was so pleased with this one, I am going to be building a 1/32 scale Revell of Germany Bu-131D in the very near future... so please stay tuned for it to show up one of these days. First I still owe you a 1/48 scale Tamiya Mosquito... 🙂 I plan to start it now that this one is done and it will be a part of your De Havilland group build. I also noticed that Airfix has a good looking 1/48 Tiger Moth... That one is tempting me too, but for now I don't have one to build. This might change in the future. Time will tell.

With this I will post the final conclusion on how this Ki-10 has been finished. Please stay tuned for the final progress report next... I think you will like it.

• Profile Photo

Tonight I did the final touch ups and now the Fine Molds Ki-10 is done... Please follow along and I'll explain.

I started out by carefully cutting of the antennae mast. I left the base intact.

This mast stub was then carefully painted using a small brush.

The small chip in the paint was wet sanded until it was nice and smooth.

Then the area was touched up using the air brush. It blended in nicely...

The entire airframe was given a few light coats of thinned "Future" floor acrylic. This restored some of the luster I was looking for.

As the clear coat dried, it resulted in a more semi gloss finish and is exactly how I wanted this plane to look.

I pressed the propeller back in place, and made sure the foil was nice and smooth. Here you can see the flying wires too.

Overall the plane looks exactly how I wanted it to in my minds eye. This is a good picture that shows the final luster after the clear acrylic had dried.

I was experimenting with the new photography base just to see how it would look... Granted they didn't operate these planes from paved runways in China, and the lighting isn't good enough... I just wanted to see how it looked parked in this manner.

Not too bad... The Ki-10 "Perry" is now completed. It has been the most enjoyable biplane model I have ever built to date. Do yourself a favor and get one... I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks for following along with me as I built this one.

And as always, comments are encouraged. Stay safe... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Congratulations, my friend @lgardner!

What a fimnsh! Looks absolutely stunning!

I loved the final coat, not too shiny, not matt, just perfect.

Great remedial action on ther chipped paint, looks like it never chipped.

Bare metal foil prop is a masterpiece.

What a great build. It was an absolute joy to follow along!

One of "my" two hobby shops in Athens offers the 1/32 scale Revell of Germany Bu-131D at a price difficult to resist...and you, my friend, have just announced that you are going to tackle one...oh, my!...neverending excitement!

• Profile Photo

Wonderful sheen Louis (@lgardner), very well done!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Hey Louis. Just getting caught up on your Perry build. Sorry to jump in at the end but I have been a bit out of the loop working on my own busy-making builds and other things. I really like the look of your model. It is the first Perry I have seen built. The early Japanese grey green color is very appealing to the eye. Very smooth airbrushing work. I will take your build as inspiration when I finally venture to build one of the biplanes in my stash. I haven't been brave enough so far. Congratulations on a big success and for posting your techniques.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

That certainly "hit the spot." Excellent work, and thanks for the inspiration.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Great job. Enjoyed following along

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Sorry I'm late to the party, @lgardner I've just spent a very enjoyable hour or so reading through your WIP journal, what a great result, and, as always, you make it seem to easy. Looking forward to seeing it very soon in Headlines.