1/48 Hasegawa Ki-100-1 (Tony)

Started by Tom Bebout · 24 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 6 months ago:

This is going to be last entry into the E of J Group Build. Recently acquired this kit and I thought it would be a fairly easy OOB build. I'll get started ASAP and thanks again to Louis Gardner for starting this GB, just the inspiration I needed to build those Japanese kits in my stash.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Tom, @tom-bebout
    Thanks for building another one ! You're going to have fun with this one, as it goes together so nicely you could almost build it with your eyes closed. This is one of my favorites, right behind the Hien, so I'm definitely watching this one for updates...

Have you decided which markings you are using ?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

That's a great choice Tom @tom-bebout!
    Nice, solid Hasegawa!
    Got a different boxing of the same kit, yours will for sure be an inspiration!

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I'll be following along on this one Tom as I want to build this kit someday as well. Looks like there's only a few of us left in this group still building... glad you decided to build one more. Cheers!

• Profile Photo

Here's a pic of my Toryu for this GB, currently in the middle of Patafixing, to receive some top green.
    The Vampire at the back took some priority this week, in order to be finished, then the Toryu will be full steam ahead, Jeremy @jmillan.
    So, let's keep this GB on!

• Profile Photo

Got some time at the bench the last two days and was able to do some cockpit work. So far the fit and alignment has been very good. The color call outs are a little baffling, i.e. the interior calls for sand brown. That's not very specific in my book, so I went with what I had on hand, Tamiya Wood, works for me.

Don't know why model companies rarely add belts or hardness detail to their kits so I hit the spares box for a set. Also did some enhancements to the cockpit side walls by painting some of the boxes black and then adding some silver/chrome to the switches and dials. After that I applied a home made brew of a brown wash to highlight some detail. Once you close up the fuselage halves the cockpit floor drops in, and test fitting found no problems or alignment issues.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Tom (@tom-bebout), very nicely done. Sharp detail-painting.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I like everything I see here. Looks great Tom ! You have definitely been busy.

• Profile Photo

Looks amazing, Tom!
    This is a wonderful cockpit. Kudos to your detailing !

• Profile Photo

Finally got to close her up, fit is very good with just a couple of spots needing some putty

. Engine fit is excellent if building one note that the back plate has a flat top and it goes on top. By dry fitting it became apparent that the upper portion of the cowl will not fit if you reverse it. The drop in floor to the cocpit is spot on and required no adjustments. Now lets those wings on.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, Tom @tom-bebout, and nice to see that a minimum of putty is required.
    I like the fact that the cowl won't fit if you have the engine wrongly installed.
    Waiting for your wings!

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good Tom@tom-bebout. Really like your work in the cockpit, it’s excellent. I have the same kit and you just might force me to drag it out lol. If I get my Tamiya Ki-84 finished.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Tom, @tom-bebout
    These Hasegawa kits build up nicely...the fit is good for most of the parts. I don't think it will be too long now, and you will have the wings installed. It's sure looking good buddy !

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Tom - as I recall doing one of these back when they first came out, this is a kit that was as close to "self-building" as Hasegawa got back in the late 90s. You can have a lot of fun with the finish when you get it assembled. These airplanes were well-painted, so you don't have the paint peeling off, but photos of the Ki.100-I do show that the paint faded. Lower surface was left unpainted, just the fabric control surfaces got JAAF light grey.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Tom, @tom-bebout
    Tom Cleaver's @tcinla
    comments about how this kit build up are spot on. I'm sure you have found this out by now.

However, as far as the colors he mentioned on the fabric covered controls, he is off. We all know the Ki-100 was a direct descendant of the Ki-61 Hien, (Allied code name Tony). These aircraft had all of their control surfaces painted using aluminum colored dope. Some of the Ki-61's were actually completed as Ki-100's with the radial engine being installed, and the forward fuselage modified to accept the new engine. This was done when the license built DB engine was in short supply because of the efforts of the B-29 crews. Then these Ki-61 airframes with the radial engines were also called Ki-100's. Here's a cool picture I found online showing a Ki-61 assembly line.

Up until just recently I too thought these planes had used the IJA Light Gray, but then I discovered a document that was written by an expert on the subject who lives in Japan. I have a copy of this paper stashed in my hobby library, but I'll now go digging for it so I can post it here should you be interested.

Meanwhile, here are a few pictures of an Akeno Flying School Ki-61 for you to use in case this matters to you. This plane was operated (at least for a while) in a bare metal finish. You can see how the controls have the same appearance as the surrounding bare metal.

Look very close at this next picture. It has a lot of hidden information in it. This photo shows another Ki-61 assigned to the Akeno Flying school. Notice how the controls have a slightly different look to this. I firmly believe this is caused by sunlight, and not having the flying controls centered. This is an illusion that is cast by having light reflect off the surface at a different angle, creating a slightly different looking color. Now look at the rudder, and how it matches the fin. This is because the rudder is centered or "neutral".

But since this is a Black and White picture to begin with, it's very hard to know for sure. This is why I'm going to dig out the article that was written on a Japanese aircraft, by a Japanese expert, who also happens to live in Japan and speaks Japanese. This last part of the sentence is very important, as some meaning can be lost during translations from Japanese language to English. Once I find it I'll post it for you.

Here's a photo showing another "Hien" that has flipped on it's back after a hard landing. The underside is now visible in this picture. So is the "Port" side aileron. It too matches the surrounding bare aluminum color.

The Japanese started switching over to the "Aluminum" colored dope for use on the control surfaces sometime during the production run of the Ki-44. Part of the Ki-44's had the IJA Light Gray color on the fabric controls, while the rest used Aluminum colored dope to tighten and seal the fabric.

Here you can see the rudder is a "darker" shade that the rest of the airframe on this next picture of a Ki-44. This effect "could" be caused by having the rudder slightly offset from neutral, and it simply could be the effects of sunlight casting a shadow. It could also be an example of the IJA using Light Gray on the part, since it was fabric covered.

Now take a good look at this next picture, also showing another Ki-44. This aircraft seems to have it's rudder and ailerons painted using Aluminum dope. You can't really get a good look at the elevators, because the control stick is pulled back and these parts are no longer centered. If I was a betting man, I would "think" these elevators were also painted using Aluminum colored dope.

I discovered this information several years ago when I was doing my research for all of the article I had planned on writing about the various different colors that were used on the Japanese aircraft. Now I have decided that I might simply write a book on the subject instead... If this indeed happens, I'll let everyone here know.

Bottom line however is this is a hobby. It's your plane, so you should build it and paint it in the colors you want to... Have fun with it.

I simply wanted to let you know that the Imperial Japanese Army didn't use the color "Light Gray Green" on everything as we once thought.

Hope this helps. Stay safe my friend.