1/48 Hasegawa Ki-100-1 (Tony)

Started by Tom Bebout · 24 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Christopher C Tew said 3 years, 5 months ago:

This is a most valuable post, Louis, certainly news to me, and well backed by the photos. Thanks for sharing this and your promise of the letter once located.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Louis for the info, there always seems to be questions about Japanese paint colors used on their WWII A/C. So getting closer to putting some paint on this Tony. Got the wings on and it took a little dry fitting and fiddling to make sure I didn't need any putty at the roots.

Anytime I can avoid puttying the roots makes me a happy camper . The landing gear is completed and a little home made black wash was added to enhance the detail Wing tanks are done, no big issues, used a grey color Pitt Pen to highlight the lines. Then I added a little mixture of artist oil and Turpenoid to simulate gas stains. Next up, masking the canopy, I hate that part, then lets slap some paint on this Ki-100-1

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Nice putting together, Tom @tom-bebout!
    I also hate putting the wing roots!
    Your landing gear and wing tanks look fantastic.

• Profile Photo

Finally got some paint on the Ki, I used Tamiya XF-13 J.A. Green on top and AS-12 Bare Metal Silver on the belly.

That was followed with some Future and I then stuck the landing gear on to see how she would sit I then wanted to try the decals to see if they would work as they are rather old. Though thin they are holding up well and I don't anticipate any problems. Famous last words I'm sure. The tip of the tail was to be painted white but when comparing Hasegawa's idea of white with my paint it was too stark of a difference. I went back and repainted it to match the decals. The cockpit really stands out when compared to the J A Green

• Profile Photo

Hasegawa was famous for her off-white color in the past. Luckilly they lately decided to present their white as white...
    Your Tony looks absolutely amazing, Tom and I love the contrast of the cocpit color with the green!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Great progress.

• Profile Photo

Getting to the finish line, seems the little details take the longest time. Painting Nav lights, the nose of the spinner, masking all the canopy glass etc., etc. For old decals they preformed rather well, did have one fold up on me but I was able to get her back to a reasonable shape.

Once again the instructions call for white on the spinner but it just doesn't work with decal white, so I used an off white/tan. Should be able to post the finished model later this weekend.

• Profile Photo

Looking really great, Tom, and looking forward for your Tony to cross the finish line!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Nice work Tom ! @tom-bebout

These small items indeed seem to take the longest. It's looking very good and you should be crossing the finish line soon.