1/48 Hasegawa Ki-44-II Shoki

Started by George R Blair Jr · 41 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Hasegawa, Ki-44, Shoki
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

George (@gblair) that was quite a firsttime show here! - I have to admit that even before I looked at the pictures, just reading your description I went online and made a search for the scan and cut machine. How I have been able to live without one is beyond me. Splendid progress, and to my eye the plane has a lot of interest even before cleanup and weathering.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and Erik (@airbum). Luckily the upfront costs for the Scan and Cut were very low for my modeling budget (I borrowed it from my wife). I also had a low cost tutor available to get me going quickly (my wife). I am starting to look at my next model. I'm thinking about an Me-109 in Romanian colors, probably straight-out-of-the-box. Spiros also has me thinking about a C-47. So many models and so little time.v :o)

• Profile Photo

Today was scheduled for finishing up the detail painting and adding the fiddly bits, then sealing everything with some clear flat. Before I launched into the planned stuff, I was still thinking that the red in the hinomarus might be too light. I first compared them to the color chips that Louis had posted. I printed them on my printer and mine still looked a little light when compared to the chips, but sometimes the colors that come out of a home printer can be suspect. I also wondered if the red in the hinomarus looked light because they were on a white background. I then decided to check the colors against the red used in the kit decals and the Life Like Decals I bought for this model (but didn't use). The reds in these comparisons looked much closer to the red I used. Being basically a lazy person, I decided not to press my luck with the airbrush gods and leave the hinomarus alone.

So, with the color red settled in my mind, I used some Mr Lucky flat varnish straight from the bottle to seal everything up. I may put a second coat on the model to be sure that the color coats will be protected from the weathering to follow. The humidity here in south central Texas is very high today, thanks to some tropical weather that is brewing in the Gulf of Mexico, so I may need to postpone the next clear coat.

Everyone stay safe.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Now, who would have guessed a black plane could be that colorful? Hope the moisture goes down soon to enable you to get a second layer done. The red would have varied in real life too, sun, weather, different manufacturers and all in my humble opinion, and the look on my screen is very nice indeed. Well done my friend! Really looking forward to the last bits.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Well done indeed, my friend George.
    I like it a lot!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, everyone. I got the clear coat done and decided that the black plane lacked any personality, even with white panels and red insignia. So I prepared to do a little weathering.

I have previously used artist's oils to weather a model and I wanted to give it another try with this plane. This method is fairly simple provided you have a good clear coat on your model protecting the color coats. Be sure that you use a clear coat that will not be harmed by the application of oils and mineral spirits. I usually use some form of acrylic clear, but I have also successfully used a clear lacquer. Basically all you do is brush on some artist oil colors, let it dry for a few minutes, then gently wipe the oils using a paper towel lightly wet with mineral spirits. Always move the paper towel in the direction of airflow. I usually do a first light wipe with the paper towel, and then I let it sit for a 10 or 15 minutes. I have found if you work the oils too much at one time you may cause the clear coat to fail. Once you have gone over the plane a couple of times with spirits and paper towels, you can use a brush lightly dampened with spirits to adjust the weathering. The thing I like about using oils is that they remain workable for a day or two. I usually use a dark gray color called Payne's Gray for most of the weathering, but the black color of the plane required some other colors. I used Payne's Gray on the bottom of the plane, in the white panels, and on the red insignia and tail. I used a warm gray for the black parts of the plane. Not quite duplicating what the shadows of the sun do, but at least you can see the panel lines. I used a little Burnt Sienna to suggest oil or hydraulic leaks, and a pale green-gray to suggest areas where the paint is worn. In the end, you can barely see this green-gray.

Follow the weathering, I glued on the prop and canopy. With that, this kit is in the vault. I may still go back and massage the oils a little, but that is a decision for tomorrow. I'm thinking I may do a Romanian Me-109E-3 next, probably straight out of the box. Everyone stay safe.

10 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That is one good looking round of weathering. Thank you for sharing my friend!

• and a 109 next? I shall be tuned in as soon as it hits the screen!
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I love this weathering, George @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

George, @gblair
    Thanks for posting the little "how to" tutorial on the use of oils and weathering. I will give this a try in the not so distant future.

Your Ki-44 looks fantastic ! So much so, that you have inspired me to get off my back side and finish up mine... Yours also looked great in the headlines section too.

Thank you very much for participating in our EoJ group build. I will definitely be watching for your 109 to take shape...

Take care buddy and stay safe.

Thanks again !

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis (@lgardner). I think weathering is a matter of personal taste, not only in how you do it, but how much you do. I have just recently been adding weathering, I think mainly because I hadn't found a method that I was comfortable with. I hope the oils work well for you.

• Profile Photo
    Greg V. Hill said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Very nice Shoki!

Inayama’s black Ki-44 is covered in Nick Millman’s Ki-44 Osprey Aces book. I believe he flew in defense of the oil refineries at Balakipapan (?) and fought the British Far East Fleet carrier planes in ‘45.

Don’t ever let anyone tell you the Japanese did not occasionally paint an aircraft black. They certainly did, if somewhat infrequently! You couldn’t say that to the late James Lansdale over at J-aircraft but there are some good eyewitness sources, including a “Jill” squadron commander who said they painted the radar equipped B6Ns in his unit night black. Gallagher describes a black Japanese type in “Meatballs and Dead Birds” too.