1/48 scale ICM Ki-21 "Sally"

Started by Louis Gardner · 143 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Hot on the heels of the kit review follows the starting of this build journal. This is one of those kits that just screams at you "BUILD ME !". It was just as exciting for me to finally get this kit as it was when a very good friend purchased and sent me a 1/48 Eduard FM-2 when he was at the IPMS Nationals earlier this year in Texas.

Just as I cleared the work bench back then to build the Wildcat, I will be doing the same for this Ki-21 Sally.

We have been very busy with working on our home with a simple painting job that ballooned into something much more involved. Because of this, I have not had any spare bench time lately. The only reason why I have had the time today to log into Imodeler and post up the kit review articles is because of the weather. It's been raining here on and off for the majority of the day.

I will start working on this as soon as possible. It all depends on how quickly we get the work on our home wrapped up, and how the weather cooperates with us over the next few weeks.

So lets get this party started !

Here we go. I just cracked open the box, and this is what we see.

The instructions and decals are very nice.

This is the version I want to build. This one originally started out wearing an overall coat of Light Green Gray. Then it was sprayed on the upper surfaces with a randomly sprayed bunch of squiggles and splotches to help camouflage the airplane. It also has the Deep Yellow leading edge wing stripes.

This aircraft looks more like what I had envisioned when I first found out this kit would become a reality. I was also thinking about building one that had the "snake weave" mirror style pattern using similar colors. Time will tell exactly what this one will end up looking like.

It was part of the 25th Air Brigade, as part of the Headquarters Flight. It was based in Japan during 1943.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Here’s the results of tonight’s work.

I have joined the tail section with the fuselage.

The inside of the fuselage has a small insert plug that has been installed. This is a very similar design to what ICM has done with the Heinkel 111 kit. It is an airfoil shape.

So far the fit is spectacular !

This is a hard kit to quit working on, but I have to call it a night.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Looking forward to following along, Louis (@lgardner).

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 5 months, 1 week ago:

I'm watching this one for sure. @lgardner

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 1 week ago:

A wonderful entry of a great kit, my friend @lgardner!
    Excellent progress so far!
    Another superb addition in our mythical EoJ GB!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Great entry, Louis @lgardner
    A nicely chosen scheme as well.
    Looking forward to the build of this Sally.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Strapped in and watch this build as it progresses.

• Profile Photo

I have made some good progress on the construction of the Sally. I worked on building the wings last night and the fuselage today. We have had a lot of rain today so it’s been keeping me from getting back to work on our home project.

Here’s some pictures and a short summary of what is happening.

These are some of the parts I installed on the Starboard side of the fuselage. I like to assemble as much as I can before painting anything. I get a stronger assembly this way. Once the cockpit areas are painted, then I'll come back and add the various Black boxes, bottles, MG ammo drums, and various knobs.

Last night I also assembled the tail surfaces, main wheels, and controls. Today I assembled one of the bombs so I could use it as an assembly aid for the bomb bay shackles.

Last night I assembled the wings. This is one of them, placed next to a 12 inch steel ruler for size comparison.

Here are both assembled wings.

Last night I also assembled the engine nacelles. Here the wings are placed like they would be when installed. I have placed them next to an 18 inch steel ruler this time for size comparison.

The engine nacelles fit is perfect. So far everything has been spot on and no filler has been needed anywhere. This kit is fantastic.

Today I assembled the IP. This is a 4 part deal.

This is a view of the bomb bay. Here you can see the bomb shackles. I used one of the kit supplied bombs to use as a gauge for spacing them. By doing this, the bombs actually snap fit in place. The fit is that good !

These are some pictures showing the assembled cockpit areas. This will be sprayed and then I'll come back and add the small detail items I mentioned above.

This is the rear gunners compartment. It too is loaded with a lot of nice details. The dorsal mounted MG still needs to be assembled before I start painting the interior colors.

This are two pictures of the completed fuselage half. I temporarily placed the other side against it, and the fit looks to be very good here too. If I don't somehow mess things up, I do firmly believe this is a kit that can be built without the use of filler anywhere.

• Profile Photo

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    Robert Paschall (@beauslx)
    Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Chuck A. Villanueva (@uscusn)

Gentlemen,
    I sincerely thank you all for these kind words of motivation and compliments about this kit. Last night and today I got a good portion of the building done. I can say this is an outstanding model. The fit is spot on.

I have been very busy with a home paint job that has morphed into a bigger project than we originally anticipated. Because of the rain we have been receiving over the last two days, I have not been able to work on our home. However, things are about to change. The weather is supposed to improve and we are forecast to have clear skies for at least a week. So I need to take full advantage of this weather break.

It means my time on here and my work bench time will be limited during the next week or so.

I will try my best to respond back to you at a later time.

Thanks again for everything, and as always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for looking and good night.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 1 week ago:

You made some very good progress on the Sally indeed, Louis @lgardner
    Seems like an enjoyable kit.
    Good luck on all the work that has to be done on a 1:1 scale, in most cases it turns into a much larger project than what you expect.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Fantastic progress and ditto looks, my friend @lgardner! A great kit that your superb skills bring to its full potential. Looking forward to this superb build!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Well, I guess turnabout is fair play. You complained about my build of the MiniArt P-47 affecting your bank account, and now you are returning the favor with this.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 5 months, 1 week ago:

It's looking like a very nice kit Louis @lgardner I sure you'll produce a great looking Sally.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 1 week ago:

You have really been moving on this one, Louis (@lgardner). The interior looks really nice. This appears to be one of their best kits.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 months, 1 week ago:

ICM is good with the details and pretty precise placement in the directions. Another nice feature are the details are very good with scale small parts that are sturdy yet careful not to break anything. Looking forward to see what color the inteiror is as well as the wheel wells. Is it possible to install the landing gear, after attachng the nacelles?