1/48 Tamiya A6M3 Model 32 Hamp

Started by Jeremy Millan · 44 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years ago:

Thanks for the input Louis I’ll see what I can come up with. Still not sure yet.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

If you wish to change something to your model, I go with aiur friend's @lgardner advice, my friend @jmillan!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

@jmillan, I think Louis' ponderings are spot-on. I probably would leave the frame in the original colors as the green were done in the field.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 3 years ago:

How do you made such nice mottle green painting?

• Profile Photo

@lis Spray random patterns with thin paint and build up in layers with various shades of green.

• Profile Photo

Well I think this one is done Just need to take some better photos for the homepage. I Had a lot of fun doing the paint scheme and would like to try it again on a newer kit with better detail. Also Still trying to get the hang of the hairspray chipping technique just need more practice i think. Not sure which Japanese plane will be next... have to check the stache... maybe George or Oscar will come out to play. Lol

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Beautiful build, my friend @jmillan!
    Looking forward to your next entry!

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 3 years ago:

Wow, looks really good! The camo looks spot on, markings look great, the weathering at the wing root. My vote for next plan goes to the Oscar, there are so many different paint schemes you can go with, plus you'll have more opportunity to work with chipping and bare metal finishes.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 3 years ago:

I love your zero-sen!

• Profile Photo
    Christopher C Tew said 3 years ago:

Jeremy, please keep in mind that with the George and Oscar, you are addressing two different methods of painting. Navy aircraft almost always were factory undercoated with off-gray, and the green, whether factory or field applied, was put on over that factory base coat. You can see the green solid to thin to individual sprayed stripes over gray effects on the period photo posted above - with very little actual chipping except at the edges of the cowl clasps and flaps.

The Oscar, and many/most Nakajima army (maybe some navy?) aircraft after the Nate-era planes, were increasingly delivered in natural metal, and the green - and lower surface gray, if used - was applied in the field without a primer or base coat. This does not appear to change until sometime in late 1944 or into mid '45 when photos of Ki-84 Franks change from natural metal and heavily chipped camouflage to look more like the navy factory paint application.

At least, that's how I see the photos that I have available.

What interests/troubles me more is that the lower surface grays, navy and army, look much lighter in photos than the available hobby paints that are considered reasonably accurate. Certainly the restorations that we see, even those done by the most conscientious museum staffs, use very light gray-scale off-whites rather than greeny-grays, and, for that matter, wheel wells range from glaringly bright aotaki to deep blue to darkish RLM 02 to gloss undersurface gray, as evidenced by photos in the Mushroom book on A6Ms and the older Aero publications.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the comments guys. Here's some more photos

1/48 Tamiya A6M3 Model 32 Hamp
  • Profile Photo

@brummbaer Late war naval planes appear to not have been painted over anything other than bare metal. You see many Raiden's and George's heavily chipped to bare metal, and these are still operational aircraft. Certainly, the factory dark green and underside grey (ameiro) paint were very shiny, but you can see examples where the paint would fade and grow dull (especially the Clark Field Raiden), except for the undersides, that seemed to stay fairly shiny.

I am not sure if the entire plane (ie Zero) was painted entirely ameiro and then dark green topsides at the factory, it may be so, and the fact that Mitsubishi built Zeros and Raidens had the aircraft stencil on the fuselage painted over ameiro. But whether only that portion of the fuselage was painted ameiro or the entire plan was, I cannot tell.

When I see a chipped George, I don't see any primer or underside colour under the dark green, I see bare metal. when I see a relatively fresh George , the undersides alternatively look bare metal, oxidised bare metal, or perhaps painted over (I have not looked at Georges too closely). From what i can decipher from photos, I believe that George's for the most part didn't receive any underside paint, and were left bare metal.

I think that the underside colour as represented by AK or Colourcoats , for instance, is fairly accurate, in depicting the Amber grey/ameiro colour. There are quite a few relics remaining showing this colour so I don't think the colour is much in dispute. of course this paint would chalk or darken due to sunlight/time, so one can depict that paint at any point in time of the plane's life. Now, as I understand it, some debate as to whether the Raiden and the later war Zeros were still painted in ameiro. Mr color has a paint (C35) depicting a more greyish tone, and I've always wondered about it, whether it was accurate. For now, I will paint my naval plane undersides ameiro.

These clips show a Raiden getting pushed around and you can see the amber grey undersides. Later in the clip you see a Zero and the undersides range from amber grey to light grey depending on the way the sun shines on the paint. Both planes have quite shiny dark green paint.

As for the Oscar, I am under the impression that for the -I and -II, Nakajima delivered them in bare metal save for the hinomaru, anti glare paint, and the yellow leading edge bands, and the -III were delivered in the olive brown (IJA #7) paint. the undersides I believe were all bare metal for the -I and -II, although some pictures show a more greyish colour either due to oxidation or a grey paint.

Anyways, I'd like to hear yours or anyone's rebuttal. I am willing to learn new things as I don't pretend to know everything there is to know about this subject.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Christopher C Tew said 3 years ago:

Woody, I don't know that there's rebuttle to be made so much as clarification, and I'm sorry for any lack of clarity on my part. Jeremy built an A6M3 Type 32, which afaik was still painted as not just a naval a/c but specifically as a carrier a/c. As such it would have had a dull red primer coat, the ameiro over-all coat, and then the dark green camouflage hand applied (possibly sprayed in whole or part?). Also, he referenced that famous photo of Nishizawa's Reisen which, as far as I can see, has no "chipping," only places where the dark green was thinly applied or the painter took a "holiday." What I was trying to suggest to Jeremy is that he had done a very nice job of depicting the areas at the wing root where the pilot and ground crew scraped away the paint layers with their boots - which doesn't show in the photo, but that he didn't need to worry about adding more "chipping" elsewhere except maybe at the cowl fasteners and panel lines.

Maybe I should have been clearer about what I see as the difference between "chipping" due to poor paint quality and application, and "scraping" due to friction, weathering, and wear. My bad.

As for Raiden and Shiden, they were never intended to be carrier-based a/c, so I doubt - I do not KNOW - that they had the surface preparation that Reisen had up to the last couple of years of the war. Nevertheless, the Kyofu floatplane progenitor of the Shiden did receive excellent surface preparation. The only photos I know of showing extensive exposed metal on a Kyofu are photos of derelict planes, not in-service a/c. In looking through web photos of early Shiden, most of them show little to no chipping (as I use the term) even when they show scraping wear at the wing roots. But then, these were not Mitsubishi a/c, and I don't know what surface preparation Kawanishi used or if/when that changed during the Shiden production.

Raiden look to me to fall in the same category of never being intended for carrier operations, so probably never getting the careful surface preparation of the early Reisen. But again, the prototypes and early production Raiden look to me to have had substantially better paint jobs than later a/c, and again, the most obvious areas of exposed metal was from scraping at the wing roots rather than chipping from a poor paint job. That chipping problem did become more noticeable for Raiden, as it did for Shiden and Reisen, later in the war.

One thing that has interested/bothered me is that many late-war Japanese a/c had specific panels that always lost paint, whether by chipping or scraping, even while adjacent panels kept their paint. It's like a cottage supplier for that one panel slapped on a coat of house paint while the manufacturer did a much better job with an industrial strength product. This is particularly apparent on most Hayate, but late in the was it also occurred on Reisen and Raiden.

As for the accuracy of hobby paints, all I was trying to say was that the Mitsubishi and Nakajima hobby undersurface grays don't look at all like the undersurface gray used by most restorations in museums that specifically mention that they based their colors on paint samples from the original a/c. Those museum restorations use a white-ish gray that, going through my memories of hobby paints, is closest to the very old Poly-S light gray - I think they called it Japanese Army/Navy Light Gray, but don't bet on that.

I also don't see that white-ish gray on any of the color charts the experts have found or devised recently.

I'm using the last of my 30 year-old AeroMaster paints now on Hasegawa's A6M7, I've got White Ensign (for color samples, as I don't use non-acrylics), AK, Vallejo, Tamiya (color samples only), Gunze Mr. Hobby, and a few bottles of others, here and there. I occasionally blend special purpose colors, but otherwise I'll use a name brand that matches closely enough the experts' guidance and suits my mood for a specific build.

I have and highly recommend Millman's Combat Colours No 9 The Mitsubishi Zero and his for-sale PDF on the J2M, and Toews's Notes on the Tamiya A6M5 (available for free on-line). I've collected over the years Thorpe's books, the Aero Detail series, as well as lots of other Japanese publications I can't read but learn from the photos. I've seen many of the US restorations and the D4Y at the Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo. This is not to say I'm claiming to be any sort of expert. I'll die soon enough with more questions than answers. The historian in me wishes those military people had kept and left intact better records and that some critical restoration work didn't get contracted to the lowest bidder.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights, Woody. Hope you get to build many enjoyable models.

• Profile Photo

HI Christopher, thanks for the reply. I think I was confused with your first post implying that the underside greys were more light grey than the amber grey. I agree that carrier based planes did get a robust anti corrosion treatment (primer/topcoat) while later land based naval planes did not. The Raiden is an interesting case because there are pictures of highly glossy examples, highly glossy with chips, and dull/worn examples. I've noticed a lot of the chipping occurs in the usual wing roots, but I see quite a bit along the rear spine of the fuselage and near the exhaust, which all makes for interesting modelling.

Im including a picture of a Raiden from the latest Arawasi blog post. You can see the interesting wear by the exhaust, and in the link below . starting at 3:50 you can see a couple Raidens with chipping along the spines.

https://www2.nhk.or.jp/archives/tv60bin/detail/index.cgi?das_id=D0009181263_00000

Cheers, and thanks for the discussion. I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just wanted to engage in a chat about what most others consider boring, but what i think is fascinating.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.