1/48 Tamiya Ki-61-I Tei

Started by Woody Kubacki · 26 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks guys! Seeing Woody's fast progress over recent months, I have a lot of catching up to do! 😀
    But I'll start easy, like 1/72 stressed metal skin or something...

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Dang...I always find these Ki-61 builds too late. First off, let me say it all looks great and I love the paint work. I noticed you included the blue oxygen regulator. This is an American one that was added to a captured Ki-61. Here is a photo of it from "Japanese Aircraft Interiors 1940-1945" by Robert C. Mikesh...

The area where the regulator was installed is quite bare...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

That aerial shot is interesting, since the airplane that is circled in red is an IJNAF B6N Tenzan (Jill). There's also a Betty and and Irving in the lower foreground, while everything else is JAAF. The Army and Navy very very rarely ever shared the same airfield (or anything else), so this is a rarity.

And the model work is stupendous. Your attention to detail in the finish is excellent. That "palm frond" camouflage looks highly realistic.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 3 months ago:

@wkubacki Love the in-process pics and narrative, and I think I already commented on how well I liked the results in your headline post. What was the blue tape you used to mask the flap markings?

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 3 years, 3 months ago:

@blackadder57 I knew I saw that somewhere a while ago and I think it you may have posted it on one of your build on the WW2 aircraft forum. Well I guess it’s a bit too late, but it was such a great kit I may get another if I can find one that doesn’t cost $75 (I have 2 Hasegawa Tei’s as well).

• Profile Photo

Hi Greg @gkittinger, the blue tape is Oramask 813. I opted to use it instead of something like Tamiya tape is because it’s see through, cheap (5’x1’ roll was $6 cdn), conforms well on curves, and doesn’t have too strong an adhesive backing.

There is also Oramask 810 and 810S which I believe adheres better to curves that I may want to try out

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 3 months ago:

I've got Oramask tape myself Woody but the tan or is it grey colour. I just used it for the camouflage on my Typhoon; laid it over the paint guide on the instructions, cut it out and then laid it on the model. Great stuff

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Convinced! I bought a roll to try it out!

• Profile Photo

Gregs: @blackadder57 @gkittinger ,the grey mask is the 810. I don't think I'd ever go back to masking with tape again. The best part is that you can re-use the masks by putting them back on the backing sheet. Just remember to really thin your paint, lower the psi and try to spray it "dry" (MRT helps here) in very thing coats in an irregular patter. Don' t rush it and you won't get any bleeding under the mask.

• Profile Photo

HI Tom @tcinla , I copied that image from the Arawasi/Wildeagles site. They have quite a comprehensive review of the planes in that photo in their Abandoned aircraft section. I think (don't quote me as I really need to read up again about the Pacific War) that due to the maelstrom that was the Philippine campaign for the Japanese that they had to make use with what they had on hand.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

@wkubacki - That's entirely likely. This is still a rare photo that demonstrates that.

There are numerous instances - as I am sure you are aware - of misidentification by US pilots of Japanese aircraft. For the USN, when they arrived in the Philippines in September-October 1944, where at the time the majority of Japanese aircraft were JAAF (IJNAF only started getting fed in after the September 1944 "Halsey's Rampage"). Because their experience across the Central Pacific had been against IJNAF aircraft almost exclusively, they identified Ki.43's as Zeros (common throughout the Pacific War) and Type 99 Sonias as Vals. One of the most famous of these misidentifications is Dave McCampbell's fight on October 24 1944, when he shot down 9 from a formation that he claimed was "Zekes, Hamps and Oscars." Since they were coming from the Japanese carriers north of Cape Engano, it was impossible for Oscars to be in the formation. Most likely they were Zeke-22s (long wing) and Zeke 52s (the shorter wing) with the Zeke 52s misidentified as Oscars. I did a lot of research on this for my book "Fabled Fifteen."