1/72 Hasegawa Ki 67 Type 4 Peggy

Started by Mike Licari · 24 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Hasegawa, Peggy
  • Profile Photo
    Mike Licari said 3 years, 11 months ago:

With the completion of my Nell for this group build, as well as finishing up some other projects (1/48 Revell MiG 21PF...don't ask why, a 1/72 Hasegawa F4F-4 converted to a -3, and a few Bandai Star Wars kits), it's time to start another!

I've had this kit since 2006 as well. That fall I bought a set of 4 Hasegawa Japanese bombers: this kit, the Nell, a Betty, and a Helen. I built the Helen in 2007 and no longer have it (I abandoned several hundred built models in 2015 when I moved from Iowa to Indiana). The Betty is still in the stash.

Here we go!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Nice choice.

• Profile Photo

Today's work! Got the interior painted and the cockpit area assembled. As usual, the interior is rather sparse, which is fine in this scale.

A bit of painting work yet to be done on the machine guns; two of those will mount above the waist windows, and then I can put the interior in and close up the fuselage!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Another great choice, Mike. A winner already!

• Profile Photo

More progress! The interior fits so well into the fuselage it doesn't even need to be glued in place.

The instructions say to place the clear part for the dorsal turret before closing up the cockpit, but test fitting revealed that it can be added later. This will help during painting.

The wings fit securely into the recesses in the fuselage...they're not glued in this picture, and I'm going to leave them off for painting to simplify masking.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Proceeding very well, Mike. Good choice not to install the clear part. I do the same for as much as I can, and even more so ( I even modify the turret bases so as to fit after all is done).
    Looking fantastic already!

• Profile Photo

Back to this. I was waiting on the arrival of a set of masks for the clear parts. I nearly went insane masking the 75 panes on the clear parts of the Nell that I did for this group. And this kit has 115 panes to mask!

Eduard masking set to the rescue! Masking is underway. Here's the nose that's done.

You can also see that I built and painted the props. I used Mission Models "propeller color". I'm just getting into this paint, and while I'm learning how to spray it effectively, I find that the finish is smooth and incredibly durable.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Mike, you must have the patience of a saint. That masking is insane. Under your watchful eye and steady hand this kit looks to be fitting well and coming together beautifully! Those paints are becoming very popular - interested to hear your views as you get further into the build!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Masking heaven? - imagine cutting them all from tape. . . This is indeed one build where the investment in a set of masks really pays off! Thank you for sharing @mlicari.

• Profile Photo

This masked canopy at the pic can remain as is as a work of art, Mike! Your Peggy comes together very nicely.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul @yellow10, Erik @airbum, and Spiros @fiveten!

Indeed, the $10 I spent on the mask set is well worth it. Finished masking this morning, and the clear parts that I'll add before painting have been attached!

Mike

• Profile Photo
    Philip A. Stelzer said 3 years, 11 months ago:

She looks great Mike! Very sleek aircraft and excellent work, I didn't realize the beam guns were stowed when not in use. Hopefully you were thinking of hanging the torp on her! I think it makes her look even more intimidating!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Philip! Yep, I'm going to go with the torpedo...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Mike, @mlicari
    This is another wonderful addition to the EoJ group build. I haven't posted any responses to the EoJ group build in several days. It looks like you have made some great progress here. I agree, good call with the masks...and the torpedo.

This is another Japanese bomber that should be made in 1/48 scale by a main stream manufacturer. I'll bet it would sell like hot cakes.

Thanks for the updates and for starting another model for our ever growing group.

• Profile Photo

I haven't abandoned this project, although it's been a while since I've updated this thread.

Here we are with paint on and wings now attached.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.