68th Sentai Hien

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 58 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Been a month since my last update, so after getting a new rivet tool (the one I had simply eroded one plastic part that helds the rivet disks) and purchasing the color for the machine that now is the chosen one (see earlier post) I resumed, but still not ended, applying rivets according to plans taken online, and assembled and painted the propeller and also the drop tanks. Both colors are from AK real colors, and they look quite good imo.

The wings are not yet glued to the fuselage because their diheadral is flat as you can see in the image. This was probably caused by the lumps of plastic I glued inside the wings to keep the with the correct airflow angle. Some sanding ahead to get them back in the proper dihedral, hope to get the plane all prep for painting soon

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Always good to get a project back on track @holzhamer. Did you invest in a high-end tool or "just" a replacement?

• Profile Photo

Just a replacement 🙂 cheap and readily available

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Back on track indeed, my friend @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo

Some weathering done on the parts and notice the poor quality of the masks... already peeling offf

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Those Vinyl masks are not the best for canopies - I try to go for paper whenever possible, but you have to work with what you can get. The weathering on those tanks look very nice!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Love the weathering too, my friend, @holzhamer.
    Pity about the masks.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    I like how the color of the cockpit turned out. It looks very nice, and I can see the details clearly. Too bad the vinyl masks didn't work so well. I have never had much luck with them either.

• Profile Photo

Louis my friend @lgardner, the masks are really no good, though I hope better results later on for the hinomarus and other markings. What do you think about the propeller and drop tanks colors?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    I just realized that I have never responded to your questions about the drop tanks and prop. I'm sorry that I have not responded sooner. As far as the propeller, it looks good. Here are a few pictures of an original spinner from a Ki-61 that was found hidden in an attic in Japan along with the upper cowling that covered the engine and fuselage mounted MG's. It was hidden away for many years and was covered in dust when discovered.

This shows the color after it was washed. Notice how the color changes depending on the lighting. This was a picture taken without a flash.

and this one was with a flash...

I'll have to do a little digging on the drop tank colors, but going from memory, I think you are good to go, since my understanding is that at least three different colors were used on them. I'll get back to you for a better response, and this time it won't be 7 months late !

Again please accept my apologies mate ...

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 6 months ago:

@lgardner

Louis my friend, no problem with the late reply at all, in fact it is me that appreciates your reply and great photos, because this kit is lingering on the side of the bench for much too long so I will pick it up again, starting where I left it.

That spinner is too worn and scratched (probably more from the years stored around than its actual use) but since I’m building a CO plane I’m aiming for a much pristine looking plane (even more since this was a reserve AC or so it seems).

Anyway here’s how the Ki-64 is at the moment

The cobalt blue stripe turned out far below my expectations and that was the main reason why I “forgot” this kit for several months now.

I will remove and repaint it again, both white and blue stripes, this time getting them to pass along the air intake on the left.

The rudder is also to be shaped so I can get it to fit in a slight bank position

Right now, since I’m about to paint several other wheels from a few ongoing projects, I’ll be masking and completing the painting of the Hien’s 3 wheels. As you can see I even have the luxury to choose which mask to use 😉

Again thanks for helping me getting the momentum back for this build Louis!

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Nice to see that you started working on the Hien again, my friend @holzhamer!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Nice to see you picked up this one, Pedro @holzhamer
    Good approach to paint severel sets of wheels in one go.