Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 148 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Aichi, airbum, Atsua, catapult, conversion, db 601, Empire of Japan, EofJ, EoJ, floatplane, Haldværk, M6A, quarterscale, submarine, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Chaingang..drill

Got some chaindrilling done today

And some cutting and sawing as well. I measured and made guidelines yesterday, and marked the center of the wheel-part of the well

Relatively clear marks

And then some drilling

Followed by a bit of snipping with the sidecutters (one of the better relative expensive buys I have made – worth every dime)

And a simple guideline by scalpel and ruler

And then sawing with a fine sawblade.

A glimpse of the future

I have recently bought some pre-brexit paint, amongst the cans there was one Aotake – that will be for the wheelwells and stuff, as the cockpit will be green. As for the exterior the jury is still out, even though the Orange is in front by quite a bit more than a hair!

I’ll have to open the other one and make some walls and stuff – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 5 months ago:

No turning back now Erik! Best of luck though judging by the first cuts & drills you have the skills to push it forward perfectly. I do hope the orange is the chosen one

• Profile Photo

Pedro (@holzhamer), I did go and buy a gloss Orange and a new matt (flat) one too yesterday. I think it is 90% sure it will be the one, but who knows. . . As for the build I am comitted to use the kit wing by now - I think.

• Profile Photo

Holes in the wing

I have rough-cut the holes, and keeps thinking about the cockpits

After chaindrilling, the long part was sawn with a resin sawblade, and the edges rough-trimmed with a scalpel

By the way, I have bought some non-hardened blades, and they are sharpened with a few passes on a xtrafine sandingstick before each use. Staying sharp every time that way!

The resin cockpit and the modified kit part gets testfitted.

While I do not like the resin part I will have to do a lot more work on the modified one. I am actually thinking if it will be worth it to buy one more photoetch set for the plane – that will make for a really nice interior, but of course that also brings the need for an open hood, or at least a vac-form one?

Well, lots of thinking still – thanks for comments and info so far, both here and by PM

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hey Erik. Great craftsmanship on your Seiran/Nanzan, I really admire your persistence and successful problem-solving. Sorry not to have commented earlier, I haven't posted commentary or build progress for over a month due to a modeling slump. Anyway, its good to get some inspiration from your efforts. Your drilling and sawing approach to the wheel well cuts is very useful to observe. Looking forward to seeing more of this cool project.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

What a progress, my friend @airbum!
    I loved your cutting operations!
    Looking forward to see the wheel wells taking shape and your cockpit decisions.
    I love your progress so far!

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 5 months ago:

What a cool build! Sucks the other gear doors were off. Great job with making the new ones as well.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Nice drilling Erik, better than my dentist! The wheel wells are looking great.

• Profile Photo

Thank you gentlemen. I really appreciate the nice comments!
    Colin (@coling), the mojo has to be there, and sometimes it is good to re-charge the batteries. Welcome back in the loop.
    Spiros (@fiveten), I may have to build one more to get both cockpits in the loop
    Jordyn (@1corsair64), yep, that was a major setback as usually you would expect that an aftermarket item would be closer to the real deal, but then again, it is a great learning experience.
    George (@georgeswork), remind me not to make an appointment with your dentist 😉

Now, life has been trying to catch up on me, so it is possible that I will slow down on my posts here, but of course I shall be doing my best to fill those vacant spots in my display cabinets. Stay tuned!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    Over the past week or so, you have made some amazing progress. In particular, I am impressed with your decision to scratch build the landing gear opening. I think in the long run it was your best option. You have done some very precise cutting and filing and the lower wing section looks very good. It will be even better once you start adding all the little bits. The fuselage has also progressed nicely, and I'll bet it will look even more realistic once you start adding in the additional details that PE parts can provide. Before I spent the additional money on another PE set, I would scrounge your spare parts bin to see if anything you have would be appropriate.

Our friend Spiros @fiveten
    has done an incredible job with detailing his 1/48 scale Nichimo "Jake" float plane. He almost completely scratch built the cockpit interior of his, using mainly extra parts he had left over. The only drawback to using PE parts, is that most of the time they are two dimensional and flat. However recently, there has been a company, (based in the Ukraine I beleive), that has been making cockpit detail parts that are best called "3D decals"...since you wet them first to slide them off the backing paper they are formed on...

Chuck Villanueva @uscusn
    did a recent review of this stuff and it's incredible. The details you would expect from a PE part, plus it has the extra bonus of being dimensional and not flat.

I have been ultra busy with other things and have not had much time for posting on here lately. Hopefully this will change soon. Keep up the great work. 🙂 My vote is for the Orange version... I have an old Otaki 1/48 "Willow" trainer and a 1/48 Fine Molds A7M Reppu "Sam" in the stash, and chances are they will both be finished in this Orange color as well. It just pops when compared to the typical green over gray paint scheme usually seen.

• Profile Photo

Make that two for orange!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Make that three, my friend @airbum!
    But, whatever the choice, it will be outstanding!

• Profile Photo

It would appear that Orange is going to be the color of choice here - thank you for the kind words, comments and - not least - votes gents! @lgardner, @1corsair64 and @fiveten

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Late voter activity - Definitely the Orange!
    As I'm following the build I have noticed my 1/72 scale Tamiya Nanzan is looking straight at me.

• Profile Photo

Orange Japanese planes are always nice looking, and I can’t wait for the results, Erik. As well as the next installment of this build.