Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 148 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Aichi, airbum, Atsua, catapult, conversion, db 601, Empire of Japan, EofJ, EoJ, floatplane, Haldværk, M6A, quarterscale, submarine, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Should be ready soon with two pair of hands, Erik @airbum
    Looking really great, as is the Dalmatian

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks @lgardner, @fiveten and @johnb. Indeed it was nice to have a helper, so I could enjoy a session in the spray-booth AND get details painted at the same time!

Masks off.

With a few details painted it was time to remove the masks.

A word of caution: when yoy use cocktailsticke to block holes do NOT use one that has been used to stir paint. a lot of small yellow flakes inside the canopy is why. Incredibly stupid to do such a thing.

A few light knocks did make them move from the clear parts and down into the cockpits where they are less visible, though a few remains.

Time for some more detailpaint and glueing small parts, then it is about as close to finished as can be. I fully agree with Pedro's (@holzhamer) earlier remarks regarding thickness of the rudder, but perhaps that will be addressed on a later build if I choose to make a green one

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looks stunning from here, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looks excellent indeed, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@gkittinger, @waltosoaring, @coling, @fiveten, @holzhamer, @johnb and @lgardner, another small update on the Nanzan.

Closer. . . .

. . . . but not there yet

I added a few details and some paint today.

I ordered some blue resin-lights a while ago, and they are better than the chrome with paint approach. I should have cut them deeper though, as they look a little too proud of the surface. Well, perhaps that will be addressed later, and I think I want to get some red, green and clear ones too.

Almost finished? Well, it is set aside now in the almost finished store, awaiting the last bits.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Almost finished, my friend @airbum! And looking superb, even with the lights left "as is".

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Those resin lights do look very nice, Erik @airbum
    Weathering on the propellor also looks very good.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I like those lights! Do they come in 1/72?

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents.

@gkittinger, the lights are packed in a "one-size" package with different sizes to choose from. I shall check what size I used, but as far as I recall there are some smaller in the packaging. You can find them on the special hobby website here; https://www.specialhobby.eu/index.php?cl=search&searchparam=nav%20light&lang=1&&listtype=search&searchparam=nav%20light

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@airbum

Wow, looking really really good Erik! I can’t say too many times that the orange n yellow is spot on and perfectly painted. Can’t see any issues around the canopy in these pics, and the framing is spot on too. The cherry on top of the cake is your usual fabulous work around the navigation lights! Can you point me to the maker of those small bulbs? Especially if he makes the. In red/green also

• Profile Photo

Thank you Pedro @holzhamer. - the lights are available in red, green, clear and blue - just click on the link above to go to the specialhobby website (I think they will become available in my very local hobby shop early next year too) 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@airbum
    Neat! Think I saw that stuff in some add somewhere else but didn’t think they would look so realistic

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@holzhamer, I did add a drop of Tamiya Clear blue to add to the color as the originals are a bit light. I have ordered some red ones for the other side (I wanted to check them out before adding a lot of them to my AM-stash)