Eduard 1/48 A6M3 Model 32 Zero (Hamp)

Started by Tom Cleaver · 23 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Here it is done. Full review at M2 tomorrow, followed by fully-illustrated review here tomorrow night.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I also have this book, @lgardner. the one good point in it for this specific airplane is it circumstantially proves that the red fuselage band is most likely correct. The book is excellent, as you point out. It would be cool if there was ever a photo of this particular airplane.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    Agreed, it is an excellent book, and it would really be cool if someday a photo emerged from a veterans footlocker after years of being stored away. I found it interesting how they mentioned the lower numbered Zeros in the 204th had a Yellow fuselage band, and the higher numbers were painted in red. It's hard to decipher colors from a Black and White photo, sometimes impossible.

Your Zero looks very nice. I took your advice and picked up a pair of the Eduard A6M-2's. Now it looks as if I will have to grab a pair of these as well. The Zero looks good with square wingtips.

I'll be looking forward to your article in the headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Well done, as always, my friend @tcinla!
    Looks superb, longing for the build review!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Really great result, Tom @tcinla
    The field applied camouflage scheme is very nice.
    Looking forward to read the MM and headlines article.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner - And next month the A6M3 Model 22 arrives and next spring/summer the A6M5.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    Just when I thought my wallet was safe ! 🙂
    Thanks for the heads up.

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Very nice build and paint. Im working on a field campo Zero myself now and it definitively is a challenge to make the field camo appear to be painted by a scale man, and not a giant. You mentioned that you thinned your paint to 50:50 to do the camo, and while I don't spray Tamiya acrylics much, that ratio is still thicker than I would normally spray regular paint (60/40 is my regular mix). What is your "normal" ratio? I have discovered over the years that one can thin paint quite a lot, more so than I ever thought possible before, and get very good results. Even switching thinners (more or less retarder) will affect how the paint looks/behaves. Of course, the thinner the paint is the lower the pressure one generally must use. For my recently purchased MRP paints I lowered the pressure from 15 psi (normal with Tamiya/AK/Mr Hobby) to 8 psi, and played around with the MAC valve on my PS-270 (great, cheap, made in Japan brush), which lowers the volume of air but maintains the pressure.

Anyways, great build of a great subject.