FIAT BR.20 ”Cicogna”, I-Type (私はタイプする), IJAA, 12th Sentai, China 1939

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 167 · 2 years ago · 1/72, BR.20, Cicogna, Empire of Japan, Italeri
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Thanks my friends @lgardner and @stephen-w-towle!

Louis, the CA kit will definitely be a joy to see it built by you, the Cicogna is such a cool looking plane. Though many find it ugly and ungaining, I think she is a beauty (in her, maybe, peculiar way!)...
    Yes, with my sons the "agreement" is to give me their ice cream cups (that they would otherwise throw away... 🙂 ), in return of Vne test flights to their liking, with Vne up to them...
    The Cicogna fuselage alone has undergone one already...

Stephen, you are so right about the model being a spring board for further reading. It carries some nice stories behind it!

• Profile Photo

Moving on

Many ongoing modeling projects, work and family obligations might affect the Cicogna progress, but those are excuses, right? 🙂

So let's move on!

I added the characteristic undefuselage transparency which, in fact, contains two circular windows with a hole between them...

I then started to coarse sand/prepare all subassembled parts before putting them together, as it is more difficult to tackle them once assembled

And here is the progress so far (one prop is not shown), ready to be put together:

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    My dear friend, you are a model building machine ! You always amaze me at your quality of work, AND the number of kits that you are able to finish. I really like your building style, and over time I have picked up a few tips and pointers from you. My absolute favorite hands down is the liquefied styrene. After using it, now I wonder how I made do before without it !

I just picked up another tip from you today, and this is to sand the parts joint lines before gluing them together to make a larger assembly.

At one time, (not too long ago), I was cranking a bunch of them out too. However, lately I have had very little time for this. I have too many real life projects going on... As it stands right now, I have way too many builds started, with only two or three nearing completion.

What I have been doing lately is to build and paint all like items at once from various kits. So you will see me building and painting wheels, propellers and engines, from several kits, then I store these completed parts back in the original boxes for later use. It's almost like how our friend Erik has his 109 Kindergarten. This seems to work out well for me. I am about ready to build up some more cockpit assemblies using this method. Right now I have 5 individual A6M Zero cockpits built, and they are ready to paint. I need to finish up the one for the Hasegawa Ki-45, and I will build the one for the larger 1/32 scale Hasegawa Hien and these will be ready to paint as well. One of the Tamiya G4M "Betty" kits are ready for interior painting too. I need to build the interior for the second one and it will be time to spray some Mitsubishi Interior Green, and Kawasaki "cockpit color"... the one that looks like Earth Brown.

I am very impressed with the details they have provided on you Cigona. You are tempting me to locate a 1/48 scale Classic Airframes kit. I might be looking for one of their 1/48 scale Hawk II kits as well.

Thanks for providing this magnificent update. Before you know it, you will have the airframe assembled and it will be ready for paint. Speaking of the paint, I am looking forward to the paint scheme you choose for this one.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years ago:

I have this kit in the stash, but I don't remember seeing that it had Japanese markings for it! Now I'm gonna have to pull it off the shelf and take a look...

Following merrily along!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @lgardner!

Yep, Louis, sanding before major assembly can be very useful at kits which tend to be flimsy (like the Victor - oh, that tail!), or big, or having difficult spots to reach after assembly, or all of the above!

I try to paint parts from different kits one color and I have put this method full steam ahead after watching you performing it.

Similarly liquefied styrene has been put to good use after yours and a few of other great friends enthusiastic feedback here!

Looking forward to your Japanese cockpits!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gkittinger!
    Yes, I was really amazed to discover the Japanese camo as a painting option too! it's so cool!

• Profile Photo

Major assembly commenced

I attached the wings, tailplanes and fins, taking care to observe zero dihedral allover. The cabin innards that will be visible after installing the nose received some Italian cockpit green, too. Here is the result: . I also performed some parts preparation, like the ailerons, rudders and props:
    Thanks fo stopping by!
    Cheers EoJ GB!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    By installing these small parts to the main airframe, in a matter of minutes you have completed the majority of the aircraft. I like this stage of building, as you can see the results of your work very quickly.

... and just like that you have an airplane ! Looks great my friend. Now I am sure that QC1 and QC2 will be doing the required VNe testing very soon.

I will be looking forward to the next installment. Keep it going buddy... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @lgardner!
    Surprisingly QC1 and QC2 are not that aggressive in pushing Vne to hyperpace values, just nice, "normal" test flights! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Wait a minute - at least three updates behind. . . .
    Oh, well - our mutual friends have said a lot and ain't they just right in their praise and nice comments. If I may, the exhausts look so nice after the PFP mods. Now the VNe and, pending approval, it is off to the home stretch. What a enjoyable build - thanks as always for sharing my friend @fiveten. Great stuff!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my good friend @airbum!
    Yep, Vne test flights are less airframe stretchy lately, a sign of things to come?
    Meanwhle I did

Basic puttying

I used some leftover Humbrol putty, went on well.
    The main tires were tad "flattened" as well, as to look more natural posed:
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years ago:

Spiros @fiveten -Zooming the image tells where the putty is 😉
    Coming along nicely, the overall shape of the BR.20 is very well captured. The problem for me with old moulds (and by old I mean those with raised lines and rivets) is the sanding of uneven joins or, like your case, putty.
    Those wheels look impressive mate!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Great progress, Spiros!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @j-healy!