Fine Molds 1/48 Mitsubishi Ka-14, the A5M ”Gull wing” Prototype

Started by Louis Gardner · 43 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

Good stuff Louis. I've never seen so many Fine Molds models being built. I've got three bottles of Metallic Blue paint I bought decades ago only to find out years later it wasn't all that common on a lot of Japanese aircraft

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

That's a great progress Louis! I loved reading your research for the gray colour and how it was implemented.
    all the best!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years ago:

Looking good, Louis! I like the gull wing of this aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 4 years ago:

When I was researching my prototype Zero, I came upon a quote from Jiro Horikoshi, who remembered the color as "ash green". So you're on the right track.
    That's a nice looking bird. My kid built it last year, I want one!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Hey George, @blackadder57
    Don't feel too bad over having an excess of "Aotake" blue... I happen to know another fellow who happens to have at least 3 bottles of Model Master left too... and that person is me.

Hello again Spiros, @fiveten
    I have made an error when talking about the color chips. The light green color was actually a pre war Army color. The darker gray color chip was a good representation of the pre war Navy color. Later on the two colors were merged together and called the same thing, and were yet another different shade. This subject is fascinating to me. Thanks my friend and I am amazed at how fast your D3A Val has been completed. Good job !

Hey Robert. @roofrat
    I happen to like this little plane too. It looks really cool, and will look even better when I eventually build up an A5M Claude to go next to it...hmmmm ?

Bill, @billkoppos
    This little kit goes together very easy. The fit is perfect and I didn't need any filler anywhere. Go get one, and I'm sure you will be glad you did. It's such a cool little model and since your kid built one too, I'm sure he can vouch for it. You won't be disappointed. We must have read the same article. That's what prompted me to lighten the color up some on this one. I hope that I didn't get it too light, but that's possible. I'm rolling with it though as it's "close enough" for me. It actually looks a little more green in person though. I'm having a hard time getting the color to show properly on the computer.

Thanks for the comments gents. I have another installment coming up next.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Here's how the Ka-14 looks now that the engine and propeller have been installed.

I used Ultra Bright Chrome bare metal foil on the front of the propeller. The back of it was painted in a shade of brown.
    The rest of the airframe is dry enough to handle now. I'll wait a little while longer before I add the decals. The light gray color has a slight hint of green to it. The lighting isn't picking this up very well however.

Getting closer, and I'm calling it a night.

As always, comments are encouraged. Stay safe everyone.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Looks great @lgardner. The "blueblack" is outstanding!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Mr BMF strikes again! - looking really great so far - My guess that with decals the camera might be better able to depict the greenish tone.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years ago:

Louis, you must be so pleased - this model has you 'written all over it'. From the choice to the execution. The engine and the way it sits on the plane is just stunning - and the paint job and foil are trademark Gardner. Well done my friend - leading the group from the front as ever!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years ago:

Paul is absolutely right, just by looking at that last photo it’s immediately perceived that you are the culprit Louis 🙂
    Excellent build. I assume since this plane was somewhat of a prototype you won’t be adding any wear to the finish right?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

Great job, Louis. The decals will really make this plane look cool. I have been using AK Real Colors, and they have specific colors for the different cockpit and exterior colors. I have ordered some for the Lorna I plan to build and will post photos.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thanks for the compliments on the "Blue Black". I have found that by using regular US Navy Dark Sea Blue as the color, it works very well as a substitute.

• Profile Photo

Erik, @airbum

I think you are right, and now that the decals have been applied, the slight green tint seems to be a little more apparent. I took a series of different photos using different colored back grounds. That also had a significant impact on the appearance. I'll be posting these photos up in a few, so please stand by... I just finished up the model. Thanks for the compliments on the build... you must know me too well, as I have to use some BMF in most of my builds.

• Profile Photo

Hey Paul, @yellow10
    I am very pleased with how this little plane turned out... and I am even more pleased with the wonderful reception our EoJ group build has been received. This is in part due to fantastic friends such as you who continue to support these ideas. Thanks again, and I am going to be taking a look at your build journals in a few.

• Profile Photo

Pedro, @holzhamer

It seems that we all have our own little "trade marks"... I can tell your builds from others too. When you posted your JG54 109, I knew immediately who built it. Now I need to get busy with a few Mustangs...and get that new H&S going. Yes since this is a prototype, and it was a pre war aircraft, I am going to keep it looking as if it were new. I feel this is how the real plane would have been cared for. I read that the finish was "highly polished" so I'm keeping it nice and shiny... Thanks again my friend.