Fine Molds 1/48 Mitsubishi Ka-14, the A5M ”Gull wing” Prototype

Started by Louis Gardner · 43 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 12 months ago:

George, @gblair
    I just added the decals and all the tiny little details to the plane. It really does pop now ! I have heard a lot of good things about the AK color line. Mission Models has been releasing some great color selections too. Most of the time I try to use old school enamels, because that is what I am most familiar with. But on this build, I used Tamiya acrylic paints and that's a little out of my comfort zone using them. I had a little bit of trouble with the airbrush tip clogging, but other than that it's not too much different. They also seem to dry much faster than the enamels I am used to.

Please post up pictures of your Lorna build. I'm looking forward to seeing your work. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

Today I finished this Ka-14 prototype.

I added the decals, the gun sight and wind screen. The final details were painted, these were namely the tires and wheels. I am happy to say this one is now completed. It went together very fast, and if I had a full weekend to dedicate entirely to model building, I probably could have finished it up in that time, painting and all.

This was a very fun little plane to build, and it will look good sitting next to my A6M's. Now I'll have to build an A5M "Claude" or maybe a few of them... you just never know what to expect next.

I was surprised how the greenish "tint" color is hardly visible in some of these pictures. So I took several using different colored back grounds to try and show the light green gray color.

This next photo shows the green tint the best...

Here's the way the Ka-14 looks as seen from above.

Here in this next photo, the green tint is the most obvious. It's amazing how the lighting and even things such as the background color can have such an impact on the appearance of the color...

The windscreen and exhaust collector ring can be seen in this next photo.

There's not too much visible of the cockpit once it's done, but the kit parts really don't need any extras, except for possibly adding a seat belt harness.

I'm calling this one done. It has to be a record for me...Please look for it to appear in the headlines section soon..

as always comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Looks great, Louis. The colors came out terrific. My Lorna is sitting on my work table waiting for me to finish an ESCI Skyraider. I had some ham-fist problems with the Skyraider, but it should be posted in the next few days. I found a Fine Molds Judy in my stash that may work its way into the queue.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George ! @gblair
    I can relate to your problems with the Skyraider... I have a 1/48 Monogram F9F Panther sitting on the work bench right that has been a major thorn in my side from the very first day... It has fought me every step, and I should finish it up, since it's 98 % done now. I have to add the landing gear and doors and possibly a few other small things and it will be done. But I keep putting it aside.

The Fine Molds Judy would be a nice addition to the group... Which version do you have ? The radial or inverted V-12 engine ? I'm curious.

Also I just finished taking the final pictures for the reveal in the headline section. Here's a photo of the Ka-14, sitting next to a family descendant.

Thanks everyone for the comments along the way.

as usual, comments are encouraged. Thanks and good night.

• Profile Photo

In the next day or so, I plan on posting this Ka-14 model in the headlines section, since it is now completed. Since we have a year (or possibly a little more) to finish our builds, I am asking you all to please post your models once you complete them. I'll come back and post a final review of this group build as we have done in the past. Please tag your articles with "Empire of Japan Group Build", so I can find them more easily when the time comes.

Meanwhile, here's a little teaser of what's to come.

Thanks !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 12 months ago:

That's a fantastic result Louis @lgardner! It looks really special and I like the photos comparison.
    The basic colour is outstanding.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Well done my friend! Should you care for a vote on the background, I am all for the grey! Usually I try to get a off-white background for my in-progress with the pocketcam (Olympus TG4 - great relatively cheap camera) and when the finished product is ready I move outside for a sunshine shot with the larger camera with the roof of an old concrete beet-storage as the background. The grey color always turns out some realistic colors.

And with this I shall be standing by for the next mr BMF reveal!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Congratulations, Louis! An absolute stunner! I love that you are lining up your builds with the original photos again! The green tint is subtle but definitely there for all to see. How interesting that a GB about Japanese subjects has turned out to be so popular! Well done again, I have a feeling you have probably got quite a few more up your sleeve!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Nicely done Louis and this build has to be a world record speed build for you. She looks good.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 12 months ago:

That's a nice looking airplane, and build of such. Looking at it something was bugging me, where have I seen this before...then the lights went on...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Glenn Virgo said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Very nice Louis. I like your custom colours I might nick it. Well done. Sweet as a nut.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen Jordan said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Outstanding Louis; quite impressive!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Nice work on a beautiful plane, Louis.