Hasegawa 1/48 A6M5 type 52 Zero (Captured)

Started by George Henderson · 63 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

Thanks to whomever invited me. I've got a lot of spare time on my hands so I thought I might jump in. All comments and advice greatly appreciated

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years ago:

Another great pick, George! This is shaping up as a special group build.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years ago:

Have to agree with John - this is taking on epic proportions! Great choice, George!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Amazing choice! Epic GB.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Good call here. I think I saw a build of the ATAIU SEA cs in a magazine a few years ago. I'm tuned in here too.

• Profile Photo

Thanks all. I haven't had a serious look around this GB but what I've seen looks great. Prepping the innards for paint. Lightning holes in the seat need to be drilled out. Hasegawa has thoughtfully made two pieces as one and needs to be separated. So...cutty, cutty and glued to the sidewall. I've read that this is a good enough match for innards colour and photos of the cockpit seem to bear it out. After weathering it'll be totally different anyhow

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@blackadder57, I have made a note of your observations on the Ki61's and put it in the boxes in the stash. Thank you for that info. The seat really looks a lot better with the holes drilled!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik. Innards are painted and resting

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Starting coming together, @blackadder57. Looking beautiful! What a choice! cannot stop repeating it! Still trying to locate my Saburo Sakai's 1/48 Hase kit. Your kit choice makes me more eager to locate - and start build - mine. Will do it Saburo Sakai's though, cause I hadn't done it before AND I admire the man!
    All the best to you and all EoJ GB!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years ago:

Looking good George.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Tom and Spiros. Innards almost done save for the seat harnesses and some minor touch-ups. Used a new to me flat coat after weathering, Vallejo Matte Varnish Acrylic Resin. It dulls Future good but is streaky hence the look of the cockpit floor. Not too sure why the cockpit floor is that long. Nothing will be seen once the fuselage is closed. Hard to see but the box on the left is a dark green; some Japanese control boxes were this color (dust if from another project. Instrument Panel took several sessions to do in order to save my eyes

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Hello George, and I must say you picked a good one here ! I stumbled across these photos online about a year ago. I hope they help you along the way.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis. Just bought Eduard canopy masks because of all those panels

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Masking canopy panels is not my favorite either... good call.

• Profile Photo

Wow - that instrumentpanel looks great!