Hasegawa 1/48 A6M5 type 52 Zero (Captured)

Started by George Henderson · 63 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

Thanks guys. Don't forget to mount the tail wheel before closing up...Don't forget to mount the tail wheel before closing up...Don't forget to mount the tail wheel before closing up! Closed it up before mounting the tail wheel. Lucky I had only glued the top of the fuselage and was able to pry the bottom wide enough to install the tail wheel which would have been almost impossible at a later time. Small seam to deal with on the rear deck but an all around good fit

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

I never forget to mount the tail wheel before closing up. I always NEVER forget to break it during the going on construction...Your bird looks great @blackadder57!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros. Looks like an aircraft now. I'll paint the bottom shortly and then wait for the canopy masks so I can paint all the topside together

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Always a major milestone when it looks basically like an airplane - now what was that about waiting to install the tail wheel until after the glueup? - or was it before. .

• Profile Photo

Still waiting for masks coming from France and I got bored...

• Profile Photo

It's a crossroads: remain patiently bored till the masks arrive, or start another project and leave it aside till the masks arrive? Or dig up an old unfinished project for killing the boring time? Decisions, decisions...

• Profile Photo

My decals/instructions are buried in the decal bin so I checked the instructions on line to compare to the photo I have posted and two things struck me. 1) The fuselage Hinomarus, not clearly seen in the photo, and the rudder were freshly painted. 2) The cannons, which I ruined my eyesight on hollowing out the ends, were furlushinger removed so cutty, cutty. As a plus, this will make masking the wing leading edge ID marking easier to mask. About to spray some Vallejo White primer on this area in preperation for the yellow

• Profile Photo

The odd thing (for us modelers) would be for the above things to have been noticed beforehand...
    (...Still haven't started my old mold 1/48 Airfix Buccaneer...Still Airfix doesn't release a new mold one...See how it goes?).
    Still nice progress, George!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros. Cannons removed and primer spritzed

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Sad to hear the boring exercise was just that - an exercise. Oh well, isn't it what it is all about - getting better all the time, ending up with that perfect model in the end. Anyway, nice to see you're still on track.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik. Leading edge painted with Vallejo Medium Yellow, kind of an light orangy yellow

• Profile Photo

While waiting for the masks I thought I would hit the cowling with Tamiya XF-56 to prepare for chipping

• Profile Photo

Still waiting for the masks to arrive from France. Painted up the cowling for the hairspray chip test. First up Tamiya XF11: Flat Aluminum and let dry. Sprayed on the hairspray and let dry for a few hours. Next up I mixed some XF63: German Grey with a toothpick load of X3: Royal Blue. This is supposed to represent the faded cowling colour

I waited an hour, added some water on top of the grey and started brushing with a stiff Citadel Dry Brush. For the first few minutes nothing happened and I was starting to worry. All of a sudden we start getting some action. This all took less than 10 minutes

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years ago:

That's encouraging George, with great results. Did you decant the hairspray?

• Profile Photo

Thanks Andrew. I use this stuff; pump spray with a screw off top. Unscented of course. I read one review where the builder used a lavender scented hairspray and his model smelled of lavender for months