Hasegawa 1/48 A6M5 type 52 Zero (Captured)

Started by George Henderson · 63 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Great trick, George @blackadder57. I assume you have to use acrylic paints for this. Do you know any similar chipping trick but with enamel paints?
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

I'm strictly acrylic. The problem with enamel is that its pretty hard when cured. It might be possible to lay down an enamel aluminum layer, coat that with Future, add your top coat and when sufficiently dry(?) use a small brush to try and gently remove some of the top coat. I know for a fact that the Future will prevent the removal of the aluminum as I use this technique to remove excess Tamiya Panel Liner which is an enamel

• Profile Photo

Still waiting for the canopy masks coming from France so I thought I'd do the bottom camo, Tamiya XF-19 - Sky Grey, one of dozens of call outs for the colour.

I'll spray aluminum in the relevant chipping parts later

• Profile Photo

Hey George @blackadder57! The trick with the future sounds perfect. I will try to implement it.
    I love your sky grey on your Zero.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Wow George you have been busy ! Before you know it you will be taking a test flight in your living room... I especially like how you have chipped the cowling. It looks good, and thanks for accepting the invitation to join our little EoJ GB.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros and Louis and thanks for the invite Louis. I hope the canopy masks arrive soon so I can get cracking on this. Got an email from the company this morning informing me that my isolation layoff may be coming to an end. Due to the way my shift works I'll probably head back to camp for night shifts on May 13th. The company is applying to the provincial government to be allowed to change the shift schedule from 7 on/7 off to 14 on/14 off for the summer months

• Profile Photo

Can't upload a photo at the moment

• Profile Photo

Painted up the prop with Tamiya XF9 - Hull Red as per discussions on one of the Japanese aircraft forums and dry-brushed with XF64 - Red Brown

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Glad to hear the society is opening up at your end, even though 14 days night sounds like a lot. Here in Denmark we started opening up this week, but still a long way from normal. Stay safe!

The color of those japanese propellers are quite something. Even without the long awaited parcel seems like some progress is made. Looks good.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik. There will be a lot of restrictions in place once we go back. I worked 24 straight nights once when I was still in the papermill; got real tiring by night 18

• Profile Photo

Great progress, George! I love the propeller colour: looks "right".
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

Thank you sir. Aluminium and hairspray done. Most of the chipping will be at the rear, aft of the roundel and on the wings so I'm not too concerned about coverage

Hopefully the masks will arrive before St Swithin's Day. I just received my call back to work, shift starting May 13th so I'd like to get this done before then

• Profile Photo
    Glenn Virgo said 4 years ago:

Great work George, im watching. I’m thinking I might use the hairspray chipping effort on my cowling.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Your engine and airframe look really nice George. Hopefully you can get this one done before you head back to work. If not we have plenty of time to finish it up as you can. Thanks for posting these updates.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you Glenn and Louis. Mercy...has it been three weeks since an update? Other thangs seemed to pop up but slowly back at it. Painted and weathered with a modicum of success. When spraying hairspray I found it hard to see where it landed and how much was applied. I'm also unsure of the wait time before trying to remove the paint, this time it was about 45 minutes. I also grabbed the wrong brush; the one I used being too stiff and removing everything down to plastic a few times. In the end I started using my cut-down number 0 brush that I use for dry-brushing and instead of a sweeping motion, I removed most of the paint and lightly dabbed it on the surface. A work in progress and I'll keep trying the hairspray method.