Hasegawa 1:48 Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero (Captured Pt.2)

  • 42 posts
  • Last reply 5 days, 3 hours ago
  • 1/48, A6M5, Hasegawa, The empire of Japan 1919-1946
Viewing 1 - 15 of 42 posts
  • George Henderson said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    I just found some photos so I thought I would add a final entry. This will be one of the captured A6M5 Model 52 Zero fighters at the RNZAF airfield at Jacquinot Bay, New Britain, 18 Sep 1945. Photos are Public Domain

    I shamelessly use the same starting photos as I used in my other A6M5 GB thread

  • George Henderson said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    Swear to God, this is the last of the Pt.1 photos I’ll use. Seat about to have lightning holes drilled out…

    Part B10(B) will need to be removed from the I.P. part B10(A) and then attached to the left side panel. A lesson learned from the first build is to attach the part after painting. A wee beastie to paint the dials and switches after the part was glued first.

    Ready for paint

    Innards paint

  • Jeremy Millan said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    Curious as to how you insert the photos/text together instead of all the thumbnail pics at the bottom? Thanks

  • George Henderson said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    Just found out a while ago myself. Once you have your photos added, copy the [pic#]

    ….and then paste where you want it

  • Robert Paschall said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    Great tip about the IP, I’ll keep it in mind when i get my kit back out of storage. @blackadder57

  • Jeremy Millan said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    Awesome! Thanks a ton George

  • Colin Gomez said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    Thanks for that tip, George. It will definitely improve my posts.

  • Erik Gjørup said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    There are a lot more tips in the “tutorials” at the bottom of the page – like how to make a heading, bold and italics text – use the same [] before the text you want to make one of the three, and end with [/] Also you can make a quote that way, but visit the tutorials section – it is great stuff!

    Sorry to intrude on your tread here @blackadder57 – hope it is OK

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

    Great progress @blackadder57!

  • George Henderson said 1 month ago:

    Innards done. Main colour is Tamiya XF-65 Field Grey and dry-brushed with XF-71 Cockpit Green and then a Future clear coat. A wash was added using Citadel Agrax Earthshade and then I tried to dirty things up using Winsor & Newton Oil Raw Umber. First time doing this. I put a very small dab on the end of a round toothpick and then dotted up the area; four or five dots that wouldn’t add up to 1mm² and then dry brushed it around. It can just be made out and to me that’s perfect. Scratches came from a quilting pencil. Flat-coated with Microscale


    The I.P. turned out better than the first time in Part 1, I got a better point on the quilting pencil. Engine was painted with X-32 Titanium Silver and washed with Citadel Black Ink. Crank case was paint with Polyscale Blue-Grey. I was even able to get to the dials on the left console as I left off the part until painting was done

    Hoping to get everything into the fuselage tonight and not…..I repeat not forget to install the tail wheel first this time

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

    Looking great, @blackadder57!
    I liked the idea of grey cockpit, drybrushed with cockpit green.

  • George Henderson said 1 month ago:

    Thank you Spiros. Last thing before I turn in, wings pieces are joined together and the cockpit was attached to the right fuselage half. Pics in the A.M.

  • Erik Gjørup said 1 month ago:

    Sharp as always here @blackadder57! Might I quote you before closing up the fuselage:

    and not…..I repeat not forget to install the tail wheel first

    I am looking forward to seeing this part 2 done – looks very interesting in b/w photos!

  • George Henderson said 1 month ago:

    Thy will be done Erik. I had to remove a locating pin in the front of the fuselage and grind down a bit of the bulkhead to get a better fit at the front and the soon to be broken off tail wheel was installed.

    Togetherness starting.

    Wing parts are also together.

    There are locating pins on the wing parts, relying on the ailerons on the upper wing halves to get line-up started. This actually worked very well and I got pretty much a seamless fit. Note the cannons have been removed after I checked for about the sixth time

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

    Looking good, @blackadder57!
    Good luck with your tailwheel!

Viewing 1 - 15 of 42 posts