Hasegawa 1:48 Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero (Captured Pt.2)

Started by George Henderson · 42 · 3 years ago · 1/48, A6M5, Hasegawa, The empire of Japan 1919-1946
  • Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Masks done and Tamiya XF-11, J.N. Green. I made gosh darned sure that I would short myself on the green crosses. Drying over night and then I'll add the cross masks and spray the white. One of the photos shows that the moving surfaces were only lightly sprayed over.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Super job indeed, @blackadder57!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This is going to look so cool in white I think.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. Main painting complete with a few touch-ups around the canopy area. Couldn't achieve the look I was going after around the moving surfaces due to AB issue; it started developing spitting issues. Not really sure of the problem. After few minutes I noticed that the air pressure was only at about 14psi with a 2:1 Tamiya mix. I cranked it up to about 18psi and this seemed to solve most but not all of the spitting. Might be a tip problem? I've used this particular Aztek tip for quite a while so it may need replaced. Luckily when I replace one I have a back-up ready. I'm going to soak the tip in cleaner, test drive it and then make the call. Anyhoo...

I did manage to get the look I was after with the cowling

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I'm liking this one... looks clean!

I always end up accidently breaking the antenna off if I install it when painting.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeremy. I ended up with a fresh out of the paint-shop look instead of a been around the block a few times look

• Profile Photo

This looks AMAZING @blackadder57. I 've never seen a model of it before and...I just love it.
    You did a nice paint job, my friend.
    Upon airbrush spitting...well, first action is to crank up the pressure, as you did. Glad it worked well.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hope your spitting stops - and great looking plane you got there! I see what you mean by the look on the cowling, and on my screen some of it is present on the elevator and rudders? Really looking forward to seeing it crossing the line George (@blackadder57)

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik. On finals now; a few touch-ups and add the wingtip lights and prop

Hope to have this completed shortly. On a personal note, when done, this will be my sixth completed kit for the year, a new personal best

• Profile Photo

Approaching the final stage, looking great @blackadder57!

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good! Im liking these captured Zero's you're doing. At first glance I think of a german plane because of crosses.