Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai (George) 1/32

Started by Colin Gomez · 100 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

You know sometimes you can't see the forest for all of the trees... 😉

Colin, @coling
    Erik, @airbum
    You guys are right ...
    I took yet another look at the color picture and I just noticed something else... exactly as Erik explained.

The elevators are posed in the full "UP" position as well ! This is how a "tail dragger" plane would be handled on the ground and the engine is running. This seems to be visible on all three planes in the color picture too.

This is something I never caught before. Your explanation about it being Kanno's plane and photo shopped is very likely, in fact I would say it has without a doubt been tampered with. It could even just as well be a picture that someone has made up in it's entirety. This leads me to believe that it is the exact same plane that has been copied three different times, exactly as you mentioned.

I was always too busy looking at the colors and didn't notice the obvious !

Yet the other black and white picture I posted shows the number #33 (or #88) on the last plane in the group to be darker than the outer white ring on the fuselage Hinomaru... The middle plane #37 doesn't have the number visible because the majority of the fuselage marking is hidden behind the rudder and fin of Kanno's plane.

The decal work you have done looks perfect. I wouldn't change a thing with it... If later you do decide to change the fuselage number from white to yellow, I think there is enough evidence in the black and white picture to show it "could" have been possible.

The pilots visible in that picture are all sitting down at about the same height. They are not looking in the same place however. The pilot in number 15 is looking downwards, while the pilot in #37 is looking more towards the front. It makes sense that the seats would have been raised so they can see better out over the nose during taxiing and take off. In fact I have seen a picture where some Japanese Zero pilots were literally standing up in the cockpit on takeoff !

The two areas where the paint is gone, (on the sides of the fuselage below the canopy), are fold in steps. These areas often get chipped and it would make sense the paint wouldn't remain intact here too long. That's why I think it is visible on both #15 and #37 in the original B&W photo. The chipped paint pattern seems to be a little different on each plane too.

I have now deleted the "imposter color picture" from my computer... Thank you for looking into it more thoroughly and bringing your correct observations to the build journal.

I am the type of person who will readily admit that I was wrong, when I am wrong... and boy was I ever wrong about the color picture !

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks, Erik and Louis.

I hope this doesn't open up another can of worms but I am seeking input on the maneuvering flaps. I plan to pose them down, mainly because I like them viewable as a diagnostic feature. I have period photos that show them part way down on the ground and museum shots to prove they can also be cranked all the way down when parked.

Anyway, the position is not what concerns me. Hasegawa instructions show that the part only exposed when they are down should be bare metal. I was all set to do this but then I noticed a variety of period shots showing they were painted on the entire upper surface. At least one museum bird also shows painted flaps. I may go for painting them all green topsides. Many modelers have made this choice, although some have gone the Hasegawa route. What do you think? It wasn't as if these particular Shiden Kai's had camo applied in the field over bare metal like P-47s. I am on the fence at this point.

BTW,I have been working on the flaps separately. Riveting them was a PITA because of the complex angle of the rivet pattern obvious from rivet diagrams and museum birds. Here's how I did it.

Opinions on flap color welcome. Thanks.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Colin, @coling
    It would make sense if the flaps were completely painted on the upper surfaces if they were deployed in the "Down" position when the painting in the field took place. Otherwise I would paint it as recommended by the Hasegawa instruction sheet, and leave a portion of it in bare metal.

Either way, I think it would be OK. Paint it how you like and roll with it. I also am very impressed with how you did the rivets on the flaps. I will keep this in mind when I get back to work on the pair of P-51 Mustangs I have parked next to the bench at the moment.

Your rivet work on the flaps looks exceptionally nice.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

I agree with our friend Louis @lgardner, Colin @coling. Either way you are correct. It can make sense that in the field they might lower the flaps and paint them all the way in many planes, but also they might have left their inner portion unpainted in some others. Since there's no evidence for the specific plane, chances are that fully painted is more likely, but partially unpainted is - to me - more impressive...

Your riveting looks amazing!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks for your feedback, Louis and Spiros. I decided to go with fully painted flaps as this was most clearly evidenced in period photos. I also made tricky adjustments to the flap position, based on photos of period aircraft and museum examples. Hasegawa makes the flaps difficult to fit close enough to the wing (i.e. without too much of a gap showing). This is because of the way the flap mechanism sticks out on either side of the flap.

Anyway this was one of many final tasks I had to do with the model fully painted, weathered and decaled (in key places). Quite a chore to handle the model while wrestling with such big components. I managed to avoid disaster. Here is a list of other stuff I did in the final stretch, being super careful not to mar the finish with each addition.

Underside hinomarus were done as decals. The metal coat was too fragile to risk masking and painting the hinos and the Hasegawa decals looked good in the end. No carrier film and good conformity to the rivet detail.

I spent quite awhile getting the decals for the flap boundary on the upper wing to stop silvering - lots of work with Micro- Sol, Future, and brush painting with IJN Green before respraying MM acryl Flat. - looks fine, in the end but quite a last minute PITA.

The engine was finally weathered slightly with oils and attached and the cowling fitted (some repair work needed on the metal coat)

I finished and attached the landing gear and doors (the oleo was polished with rub n buff on a strip of paper (as shown).

The drop tank was painted IJN Grey Green, clear coated, weathered with oils, matt-coated and attached (some surgery needed to fit properly)

The tail rudder base light was attached.

Brass 20mm wing cannons were painted and attached (Tamiya Flat Black rubbed with powdered graphite (pencil lead).

The canopy masking was removed.

Inner latches attached to the canopy

The tiny wing lights were painted with clear blue and clear red and attached (each smaller than a grain of rice).

Additional chipping done with silver pencil.

Lastly, I took quite a bit of time on the wood and metal headrest. Here are closeups of one museum example with a very strongly defined grain or lamination.

I decided to go for a more straightforward wood grain. I painted the component Tamiya Wood Deck Tan, Tamiya Clear then painted the grain with oil paints - Burnt Umber and VanDyke Brown for a reddish hue. The metal plate components on the top and front are done with Rub n Buff with an oil wash for detail. I was very pleased with the results.

So, that's it. I am uploading pics of the completed model in the headlines section. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Congratulations, Colin @coling!
    This is totally excellent work!
    Such a pleasure to having followed your build!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Well done on this one - I'll be stopping by in the headlines-section soon 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. I am glad you enjoyed the build. I may go a bit overboard on the pics but I always like it when other modelers share the details.

Thanks, Erik, I am looking forward to your impressions on the finished build. I hope you will like my attempt to show the modulations of color possible with the IJN Green over the riveted finish. Lots of pics to capture this.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Colin, @coling
    Your model looks fantastic in the headlines section. I left a comment previously over there.
    It is all of these little details that make up the total picture. Adding them all up makes for a show winning build. I especially like how you have done some serious research on the plane and did your best to make it as authentic as possible. For me, this is just as much fun as actually building the plane itself. In these last series of photos, the wood grain in the pilot's head rest looks great. I'll bet you were a bit nervous when drilling out the cannon holes ! This is typically the time when I slip and create myself more work... I am happy that you prevailed.

Well done ! Again I thank you for taking the time to post this up for all of us to learn from and enjoy. You definitely hit a home run with this one...

Thanks again.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis. Good to have you come round and check out the last stages of the GB. Drilling out the holes for the cannon was something I dreaded, but it went quite smoothly. It's another case where having the right tools makes the job a lot easier (in this case an excellent Tamiya pin vise and a good variety of bits). There were so many little jobs that threatened to mar the paint finish (as noted above) that I had to just plow on with things. I committed to getting the last bits done within a couple of weeks and I went for a steady production line process of daily tasks. As for perfectionism, I am glad we have this forum because I can put aside the desire to win contests, which just potentially amplifies anxieties (IMHO). It's more than enough to have the respect and regards of my fellow builders on iModeler. Thanks again for your kind regards.