Humbrol colors for the Airfix Kate

Started by Felix · 6 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Felix said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

I am sorry if this topic has been discussed before (which i am pretty sure of). I have these two lovely Airfix kits, a Zero and a Kate. The thing is, i do not want to use Humbrol colors in general and certainly not nr. 30 dark green for the Kate, i just cannot believe it is accurate. I searched aviatonofjapan.com for more information but did not find anything. Instead, i have a very dark and beautiful IJN D2 green black from AK interactive and a Nakajima Dark Green from Ammo Mig. Could one of these be more accurate perhaps?

As for Humbrol Nr.90, the instructions even indicate using IJN J3 SP - i have some IJN colors that are really close to each other.

I would love to hear your thoughts on how to best replace these two humbrol colors or if you think that Airfix was on point with Nr.30 dark green after all?

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

I think your color choices are excellent, my friend @fxrob. Understandably, Airfix will go for Humbrol codes. I do the same as you, choosing the colors which look right to the eye, not always agreeing with the instructions.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

To me your chosen colors do match very well, Felix @fxrob. As said by Spiros, if it looks right, it is right. After some shading and weathering, any minor difference will not be visible.

• Profile Photo

Hi guys @fiveten and @johnb, thank you for your replies! It is really helpful as i thought the same more or less but was not entirely sure if i should just go with it 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Acrylics only?

• Profile Photo

Hi Woody @wkubacki, yes for the time being due to health concerns. I do not have any experience with other colors, although it seems some of them have more accurate mictures. Do you have an opinion regarding my choice of colors?