IJN Ships, I have a few.

Started by Robert McDowell · 6 · 1 year ago · IJN Fuso, IJN Hurana, IJN Ise, IJN Mogami, IJN Nagato, IJN Ships, IJN Tone
  • Profile Photo
    Robert McDowell said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Well, gentlemen -and ladies. I have not noticed any female names associated with imodeler, but assume if they are not here, they will soon be, as the number of women taking up modelling in Canada is growing rapidly- IJN ships, eh! I'm in!

I have a collection of a few IJN ships.

These are mostly still in Canada so all I can do now is search for photo stock.

The Hurana was my first build followed by the heavy cruiser Tone. I also have the Akagi [not shown] almost complete. In process is a light cruiser, the Nagato, Ise, Fuso and a destroyer. The Makasa is also in progress, and as it is an ongoing museum piece in Japan, should qualify for this site. Yes? Oh, some submarines too.

I'm not sure where my interest in the IJN came from, but once I started with these kits from Tamiya, Fujima and Asashimo, I was hooked. The complexity of the ships, the difference in the approach and the little known history of these ships captured my imagination and interest.

One of the things I do with most builds is add ballast in the form of small stone and white glue. This gives the models more stability.

I do have Fujimi's 1/350 Fuso, and Tamiya's 1/350 hybrid carrier Mogami, for my winter builds.

With both the Fuso and the Mogami I have acquired Flyhawk's PE sets. These will be challenge for me to live up to.

This is a better view of the Tone and Hurana

Some have been interested in my moveable work benches. This is my house bench in Canada

I acquired this picture in a draw at a model show a few years ago. I find it a sobering picture and often think about these men flying the vast Pacific.

I look forward to seeing how this site evolves and shall be sharing more.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Those are some wonderful entries, my friend @robertmcdowell! And of course they fully qualify for our Empire of Japan Group! In fact, it is only too great that we have your ship entries to the Group, since, most of us (Yours Truly included), are typically entering planes! Looking forward to them!
    P.S. Your "portable" bench in Canada is equally great to your "Cretan" one.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Some really nice kits, Robert @robertmcdowell

Like Spiros @fiveten, I'm also more into planes but recently finished my first naval kit, a Uboat type IIb.

Currently having a motorcycle waiting on my bench as well. All because of the great community on iModeler I'm building out of my comfort zone now which is very nice and gives me new insights.

Looking forward to your submissions.

• Profile Photo
    Robert McDowell said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thank you John. I'm looking forward to seeing what people are about on this site. I do planes as well, and have a 1/32 scale Swordfish half completed and a Heinkel 111 waiting at home. Ships constitute my main interest and of course the Swordfish was the most successful torpedo bomber of WW2 when it came to sinking ships. I appreciate the welcome.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Quite a collection, Robert (@robertmcdowell). I also like building ships, but I don't really build them much. Looking forward to seeing many more of your ships in the future. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Excellent showing of your 1/350 IJN fleet. It looks like you build ships like me, piecemeal! 🙂 looking forward to more sharing.

I too build ships but in the more diminutive 1/700, and mostly USN. However, I have kits of some IJN capital ships, Yamato (on the first page of this GB still very much WIP), Nagato, and Hiei. All unique in their own ways...

Lastly, I love the idea of a multistage mini-bench like you've got there, nice!