J7w1 1/48. Zoukei Mura

Started by Paul Barber · 69 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

Very nice looking engine. For an oily appearance I like using Citadel Black Ink. Flows great, a little goes a long way and cleans up with water. I haven't used AK products yet...yet!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

I agree with George... You engine looks very realistic Paul. You have definitely made some great progress here.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years ago:

That’s an amazing looking kit, Paul. You’re doing it justice.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Great looking engine, @yellow10! I understand not a lot of it will be visible at the assembled model. If so, it will be a pity. Anyway, I love your progress.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years ago:

Thanks gents - thanks George @blackadder57 - I have some Indian ink will have a play.

Spiros @fiveten - yes the kit leaves no obvious way to display the engine - but I will dust off a decent camera and set up a light tent, before it disappears!

I have since tidied it up a little and dry brushed some highlights. I will get back to the Ki-43 this weekend as the putty dries on some ejection pins marks. I know they won't be on show but I will still fill them to get a decent paint job done.

Will prime some 'office' parts this weekend too.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

A shame about the engine being hidden but we all know its there

• Profile Photo

Paul,
    That engine is a work of art by itself ! I agree with George that it's a shame to keep it hidden. Your attention to all the little details is amazing. Is that a fuel tank, or the bottom of the cockpit tub in your last photo ? I'm curious about a lot of the mechanical things with this "one off" design.

I'm also very interested in your Ki-43 build. I can hear one (or a few more) of them calling my name... : )

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents. It has gone on a couple of parts over night. Some Eduard etch held in place with pledge, and a minimal dusting of Uschi polish.

Louis, yes below the seat - not a fuel tank. It is a complex looking arrangement!

• Profile Photo

Louis - the Hase Ki-43 is a relaxing enough build - a very low stress experience - it’ll go quickly to the point of painting.

• Profile Photo

(Repeating myself) @yellow10: this engine/shaft arrangement looks absolutely fantastic!

• Profile Photo

Ok, so I promised not to moan. I am back from about a week, on and off, of scraping seams off individual parts, and personally funding the sanding stick industry through these difficult times!

I have flat black primed some parts and begun base coating them In colours. Also lightly dry brushed the black primed MGs with Uschi Chrome polishing powder to lift out the highlights and add a metallic sheen to sharp edges.

It is a well designed kit, but if it were a lady we might call her high maintenance!

Looking at this 1/48 version I don’t know if I can manage to copy the 1/32 kit and leave panels off to display interiors. If not I may scratch a bench or winch and leave the engine out all together once photos have been taken of the interior.

I hope to get much of the interior sorted over the long weekend. Fingers crossed!

• Profile Photo

It does seem a shame to leave that wonderful engine covered up. High maintenance or not, your "lady" is looking great Paul...

• Profile Photo

Hey Paul @yellow10! You cannot help but display that engine! "Blame it on" your excellent job so far.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents, there are still some parts to go onto the engine - the access panels for the MGs can be left open - although reading through other builds closing up in general is no picnic either. I am running with ZM's colour call-outs as I'm not sure anyone could claim to know exactly what this prototype would look like. The Smithsonian version (and the replica in Japan - Yoichi - in the photo below) look to be the one ZM based their plane on - which is a good start. And photos show a fairly basic Black-green over grey.

This video is a great resource and shows the gas bottles and some of the interior are different to the ZM suggestions, so I'll adapt to all information as the spirit takes me!

Replica in Yoichi - clearly doubts about the stars - and the messages poking fun (I guess) at the Smithsonian. Some of the ZM decals show other detail seen on this plane. These prototypes don't seem to have been 'prettied up' too much between test flights so I won't paint this super clean.

This link too, is a nice reference from the Smithsonian.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/kyushu-j7w1-shinden-magnificent-lightning/nasm_A19600333000

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

What a great build - the attention to details are second to none. And as the others said, the engine is a masterpiece! (I may have to order extra sandingsticks before you use them all up).