Ki-43 Hayabusa

Started by capt. R · 56 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Yesterday I started working in my new project. It's Ki-43-I Hayabusa Fujimi that I bought a half year ago. It was fraught with a few strange events related to the pink moon's super fullness. First things first.
    First, the cockpit and engine. Second I had a good fortune in the form of buying a set of Rising Decals.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Lis, @lis
    This looks like you are well on your way to building another masterpiece... I look forward to your next update. I still have a 1/48 scale Nichimo Ki-43. and around 5 or 6 of the 1/48 scale Hasegawa Ki-43 models of the various Ki-43 versions left in the stash of unbuilt kits. I just might have to break them out, especially after seeing how nice your model is already looking.

Thank you for posting up another build journal for all of us to enjoy. Take care my friend, and stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Interior looks awesome, @lis. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

What a fantastic entry, @lis!
    Looking great already!
    Thanks for adding yet another one of your super builds to our ever growing and utterly inspiring Empire of Japan GB.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Thank you all for the kind words. They motivate me to work. Unfortunately, I have already made one mistake. The instrument panel should be black. Out of habit with Zero fighters, I painted it in Nakajima cockpit green. the cockpit is a set of eduard photo-etched parts. Not too big as I like it. Overall, the big sets for photo-etched parts rather put me off. I usually prefer slightly expanded box designs with really necessary parts that are missing. And usually in older models it is the cockpit. And in all of them there is a need to replace the gun barrels and pitot tubes.

• Profile Photo

@lis, I believe you can carefully paint the instrument panel black, with a 10/0 brush, preserving the gauges.
    A subtle silver drybrush afterwards will provide great results.
    Of course, you may leave it as is: looks great!

• Profile Photo

I am unfortunately not convinced. The instrument panel has an imitation of glass in clocks. brushing, even with light brush, can spoil the result. the only option is to disassemble the cockpit and repaint.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Just checking in to follow this build Lis. Sorry to read the troubles with the IP. Fingers crossed for a happy mend!

• Profile Photo

Besides, I am also not a fan of painting large flat surfaces with a brush. there is always a trace. Everything was painted with the areograph. If you don't tell anyone, maybe it will go to Nakajima Green 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Wspanaile! I don't know how you guys build 1/72, that scale is black magic to me.

• Profile Photo

I'm very disapointed for Fujimi's kit impercections. After long days of sanding and putting Hayabusa had black Mr Finish surfacer 1500. I had to also putting landing lamp because Ki-43-I didn't have it. Plastic is very soft and cut pieces from sprue could damage it. I have question. What do you think about paint Vallejo Metal color Aluminium?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Christopher C Tew said 2 years, 11 months ago:

If you have the Vallejo newish metal color in the larger bottle with a flip-open cap, it is a good acrylic metal paint. There are actually several shades of aluminum (and chrome, burnt metal, and gunmetal), so you can vary the color for some panels to make a good contrast.

I would prime with a true primer, like Badger's Stynylrez metal color or black, but maybe what you have already done is enough primer. I would not spray directly on bare plastic, and these metal paints bubble/foam a lot if you shake them too hard - I add stainless steel ball bearings to help the mixing. They take some practice for good brush painting. HTH.

• Profile Photo

I have some of them: aluminium, dull Aluminium, Chrome, steel. I am not sure if my skills allow me to play with painting different panels with different shades, but I would like to try one of these paints. Aluminum or dull aluminum. There is stainless steel ball in the tin. the manual recommends gunze 08 paint. I have painted the propeller with this shade and the landing gear covers so far. Is this paint durable on large surfaces? how does the clearcoat take?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Sorry, I use enamels, @lis. I would follow our friend's Christopher @brummbaer advice for Vallejos, though.

• Profile Photo

I try to paint ailerons and rudders in grey-green colour. Next step will be overall painting in silver-aluminium colour.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.