Ki-43 Hayabusa

Started by capt. R · 56 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is such an amazing result, my friend @lis!
    Congratulations!
    I'll do some research on the small antenna cable and come up to you!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thank You my friend @fiveten!
    I hope nothing will persuade me to return to the Japanese Hawk model too soon 🙂 I,m a little curious Special Hobby Kit.

PS. on line live camera Nest of Hayabusa in my city 🙂
    https://www.peregrinus.pl/pl/gdynia
    While working on the model, I looked at what the birds are doing 🙂

• Profile Photo

It's really amazing to look at the birds, @lis, thanks for sharing the video!

Regarding the Special Hobby kit, I haven't built it myself, but they say it is a "modern", very good kit.

Here's a preview of one opf this kit versions:

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/axis/previews/splhobby/72170.htm

Regarding the antenna cable, is the one that I have highlighted in the following pic that you are talking about?

Cheers!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Yes It is this radio cable. After a night it turned out that the stress in the radio cable was so great that it detached. In the morning I had to correct it. I gave a bit more glue in the gel and finally secured the place with aluminum paint. I also noticed that the covers of the Ho-103 machine guns, which in the Fujimi model are poorly refined, in later versions from the special Hobby company are hidden in a larger engine housing. I wonder why I insisted on the Ki-43-I version? Nevertheless, the work was brought to a happy end. The pitot's tube is from the Fine Molds kit. This is the first time I have used this kit. Some photos of radio wire after correction in the morning. This shot also shows that the fairing is made of thick plastic. admittedly it is nice transparent, but too thick, which of course gave a lot of problems when drilling a hole for a scope. Summing up the model, I can recommend it to really desperate Ki-43 fans. However, the final assessment will be when I make a model of a competitor.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking fantastic, my friend @lis!

Regarding the small cable, what I do is this:

I first microdrill a hole at the fuselage with my mini drills, where the cable is supposed to go in.

I use stretched sprue for the cable. I cut a part slightly longer than required.

I then carefully put a very small amount of styrene glue in the hole.

Then I insert the stretched sprue cable and let it rest at the main cable.

Then, I also put a tiny amount of glue at the two cables touching point and let it cure.

You may very well use not stretched sprue, but your cable of preference, but if you use stretched sprue at both cables, you cn use normal styrene glue allover and, moreover, the next day, you can apply hot air (not too much) with a hairdryer and the cables will nicely tight!

• Profile Photo

I forgot, the next day I very carefully cut the excess cable with my mini clippers, @lis.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Thank You! I just added an article to the home page.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Lis, @lis
    Your Hayabusa looks magnificent in the headlines section. You have done a fantastic job with it. Only when I read the front page article did I realize this model was a 1/72 scale kit. This makes your work even more incredible. You have details in your build that you might not find in a larger 1/48 scale.

You have also helped me decide on the final paint scheme for one of my 1/32 Hasegawa Ki-61 Hien models. I knew I wanted to build one of them wearing a complete bare metal finish. Now I have decided to build it up as an aircraft from the Akeno Flying School, just like your Ki-43 is.

Thanks for posting the article on the home page. I look forward to seeing your next project.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner I'm glad that I could inspire 🙂

• Profile Photo

The fight with the antenna is not over yet. This time in the morning I noticed that the entire mast was deflected. it's terribly frustrating. I corrected it, but each subsequent application leaves a micro trace of glue which is very disappointing. I would like to start working with a new model. The whole situation confirms that the model in this aspect is not very thoughtfully designed. Since I started to fix the antenna, I decided that I would try to follow the advice @fiveten and make a vertical line from the cabin. Here's the effect.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The small antenna added looks nice, @lis!
    Yep, masts may deflect if you overtightened the wires (ie, too much hot air). It has happened to me many times, the trick being to apply just enough hot air, leave to cool, check, apply some more air etc