Ki-43 Hayabusa

Started by capt. R · 56 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 3 years ago:

I could not sleep soundly and once again corrected the paint at the exhaust pipes, gently grinding the unevenness on the aluminium coating. Is it better? Maybe a little. But all the micro inequalities drive me crazy. Nevertheless, the work is moving forward. Nevertheless, the work is moving forward. The cowling was painted and the main gear were assembled. The flaps are photo-etched elements. The tires have an imitation of deflection. We'll see if everything fits together in the end...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

Your bare metal finish looks very good. If it were my airplane, I would be happy with it as is, because it looks nice in the pictures you posted. You have definitely made some good progress.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner Thank You! When you do the 100 Watt bulb test, you can see unevenness in some places in the light, and even worse, a few debris, which, despite the sterilization of the areograph, some miraculously crept into the paint mixers ... Nevertheless, I am satisfied enough with the effect of trying the new paint. Vallejo Metal color is worth attention for the next projects. The paint, most importantly, is durable. It is not damaged by masking tape. Hope weathering will take it well too...

• Profile Photo

Pitot's Tube is in the place. It's Finde Molds brass part. Usually, I replace this part as well as the barrels of all machine guns and cannons because the kit parts made of plastic are too thick in the scale.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking great, @lis! The aluminum shade is mor even and smooth now, it is noticeable from the pics.
    I am lazy smoothening things, leaing them "as is", calling them "uneven - more realistic" 🙂
    The Aftermarket pitot looks much better than the stock kit one.
    Looking forwadrd to your progress!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten thank you! Soon more photos. I'm wainting for decals from rising decals. Today I'm working with Ushi bombs 🙂

• Profile Photo

Today I recived decals from Rising Decals. So I can continue my work. All decals is in place. In second photo are visible some imperfections of kit, which I could not remove.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Looking great with the metal and painted areas. The ailerons and other clothcovered parts really stands out, making it all the more interesting to the eye and of course complemented nicely by the hinomarus.

• Profile Photo

I agree with Erik @airbum, @lis.
    The "imperfections" are not that noticeable...
    Nevertheless, yoy can hide them with weathering 🙂

• Profile Photo

I am glad that you like the model 🙂 it motivates you to work, even if I do not like something about its finish. I hope we will reach the happy end of the work soon. It was a bit of work with the lower hinomaru to make them penetrate the edge of the wing and ailerons. Unfortunetly I can't copy your nicks on phone for mention options 🙂

• Profile Photo

Weathering is characterized by the fact that painting imperfections, even on a bright metallic surface, are even more visible. I used oil wash black brown, and deep black, on the exhaust pipes. Overall it seems that the bottom of the plane came out better, smooth.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Love your result so far, @lis!
    I see no imperfections at all: your Hayabusa looks nicely weathered!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Thank You! Today final clear coat. Mabye main gear assembly.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Oh yes, I like the subtle weathering you have done too @lis. Nice!

• Profile Photo

That's all folks! Work is done. From extra parts I used only small Eduar PE set, and Radio wire from Ammo Mig. The last hour of work and the assembly of the main landing gear, antenna and canopy was a nightmare. the model can be classified as very difficult, even though it is small and inconspicuous. Nevertheless, I think I learned a lot during this construction. The more ancient D3A1 was much better. Some solutions, such as a canopy or an antenna, seem completely ill-considered. The antenna can only be mounted with quick-drying glue. The mounting location has a symbolic recess, no socket, which would ensure the stability of the mounting. The canopy gives the impression of being completely mismatched. At first I used clear glue from Tamiya, second I gave some drops of extra thin cement from Tamiya. Some difficulties and precision required the assembly of the riflescope, but it somehow worked. For the less brave, I recommend following the second version of the manual, just shorten it and stick it. Maybe I'll write an article later, for now I have to catch my breath with a non-alcoholic beer and clean the workshop. Enjoy photos in Rising Sun 🙂 maybe my irritation with the final assembly was caused by the second dose of the vaccine on cowid 19 😉

To make me forget. the antenna cable, which shared the main cable and connected to the fuselage next to the cabin, was not made due to the lack of an idea how to do it permanently and professionally. I have no idea how to attach the second cable vertically to the fuselage to the taut line ...

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.