Ki-45 Toryu (Nick) ”Mini” group build. ”Build em if ya got em”

Started by Louis Gardner · 200 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

I have never had a go at weathering a radial, but I see the benefits - I shall be looking forward to the next one done!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years ago:

Thanks Spiros Erik, if I had normally painted the engines black first to give them some depth the details would pop much better as these kit engines are rather nice.

• Profile Photo

Next up is to assemble the engine cowlings. Start with the oil coolers which are mounted under each engine nacelle just forward of the gear bay opening.

The cowls are made up of 3 pieces, LH/RH halves and the cowl rings.

The halves align and go together with no issues.

And slip easily over the engine and in place. A bit tight but not where it is a struggle.

Next the cowl rings are installed.

Finally the cooling scoops are attached to the oil coolers under the engine cowls.

Next up is too install the gun sight and attach the glass panels.

more to follow...

• Profile Photo

The engines are still looking good in those cowlings - very easy to see the work put into them!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

The engines do look very good... I especially liked the pictures you posted of the engines before the cowls were installed... The ones that showed the exhaust pipes and the engine with the oil leaks. Radial engines always leak oil... if you have one, and it's not dripping oil from someplace... it's empty !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Yes, everything looks wonderful, my friend @uscusn!
    Those eingines are almost alive!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric, the engines in this kit are actually pretty good. Though once the spinner and prop are installed they will be difficult to see that great detail.
    Louis, will try to enhance them a bit more.
    Thanks Spiros, almost can get them started up. Clear!
    A quickie here is to install the gun sight. Painted Gloss black

The front and rear glass panels are not exactly crystal clear, but the framings are well defined.

The Canopy fit is ok

The rear glass panel fit is ok here as well.

Next is to work the seams and rescribe panels.
    Mask off the green houses before apply the interior color on the frames.

More to follow

• Profile Photo

A shame with the clarity, but somewhat "saved" by the nice frame-details.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Erik, will polish the clear bits after painting the Nick. Hopefully that will enhance the clarity.
    Now time to mask. Will use the Dead Design set of masks. 2nd time using them. They tend to have masking sets for some older kits I have found when Eduards don't have them available anymore. Fills ins some holes on older Japanese kits like the Nichimo.

The masks go on well similar to the Eduard's set. Kabuki tape, good fit within the panels.

Now the moment of truth when time to remove them that they do not leave any residue on the clear panels.

Next is to paint the exposed framing the interior color, Tamiya XF71

Once that is done, next to preshade the air frame before apply the paint scheme.
    ]

Next up airbrush the IJA Green.
    more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking great so far, my friend @uscusn! Your previous posting of the clear parts installation was not visible to me till today, so, let me also congratulate you for their nice installation!
    Pity you lost the one of the two side windows, clear cement to the resque indeed!
    Looking forward o the IJA Green!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, the fit of the glass I looked out for based of your experience on your Nick build. Still not perfect but got them to fit a bit better by pinching the fuselage a bit with a clamp as the clear parts set. Still after sitting over night, there is still a bit of a ledge around the front and rear glass panels just not as prominent.

• Profile Photo

Some pieces i need to attach before I start to paint the air frame. A set of 4 covers that attach to the engine/wheel bay nacelles. 2 each side.

Then a pair of intakes are then attached inboard of each nacelle, towards the leading edge of the inner wing panels.

With those last bits of parts installed. Time to paint.
    Using Gunze IJA Green Acrylic to apply the one color scheme over the airframe.

The paint is a semi gloss finish which will eliminate the clear coat step. Dries hard and not sticky. Though I will let it sit overnight before applying decals.

What is nice, there was a time that Gunze took awhile to dry and would have to let it sit for a couple of hours before handling. But seems like the new formula now dries much quicker.

Next up to apply the decals and a bit of weathering.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Wow, great progress, my friend @uscusn! Glad go hear that clear parts have a reasonable fit!
    Love the color shade!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@uscusn Beautiful model! I once wrote with an expert on the shades of IJN and IJA planes and he described it as a very similar original IJA color to Mr hobby 129.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros and Lis, in fact that is the color I used was Mr Hobby 129. Good eye there Lis. Love the Gunze and though I use other brands as well. Gunze with Tamiya a close 2nd comes out of the brush with very little if any clogging. A good thing especially when applying a 2nd color freehand when feathering the demarcation line and the 1st top color.