Ki-45 Toryu (Nick) ”Mini” group build. ”Build em if ya got em”

Started by Louis Gardner · 200 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

The fuel coolers were drilled at both sides to look interesting, then glued underwing, as well as the four small awerodynamic covers:

Some extra putty was applied to the top. Also, the rear radio was removed, as the rear cabin was completely empty:

I test fitted the rear canopy. I saw that there was a hole at the end, where the rear machine gun was operating. No cover whatsoever was supplied by Nichimo:

To my horror, I saw that Hasgawa provided an one piece rear canopy, containing the rear "filling" part, that looke like a metal fairing, custom made for the Shinten Unit Toryus...

What to do?

Then, I took a look at the great pic I have posted at the start of this thread, depicting a Shinnten Toryu:

No metal fairing, but a canvas was applied! The canvas was evident at another pic I found at the net.

And a canvas will not be that difficult to depict!

I was a happy man!

Interestingly, I did not come across Shinten Toryu pics that show a metal fairing, but I cannot exclude it as a fitting to some Toryus at some time...

I am just too happy with my canvas!

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Spiros! Nice progress on your Nick! The copper lead wires on the engines look amazing. I still need to try the wiring thing. Cheers

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeremy @jmillan!
    Looking forward to your results on the wiring, that I am sure will be great!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Squeezing out the last green stuff from the tube I see 🙂
    Great find that a canvas cover will do @fiveten.

• Profile Photo

Yep, Green Stuff is getting less and less, my friend @airbum!
    And its successor, Grey (snif...) Stuff is not available due to shortages here...
    That canvas was a catch, wasn't it? Saved me from the headache of how to create a "metal' cover...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Your progress looks fantastic my friend ! You were very lucky to have found a good photo reference showing how it was done using canvas in place of metal.

Soon I will be joining you with a pair of 1/48 scale Hasegawa Ki-45's that I originally posted in the beginning of this build thread. My time sensitive projects are nearing completion... as soon as they are done, I will also get back to work on our joint 1/32 scale Revell "Uhu" builds.
    Thanks for keeping this one going... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend Louis @lgadner!
    Cannot wait for Hasegawa Toryus and, of course, our Uhus!

• Profile Photo

IJN gray applied:

Also, the propellers were painted "prop color", the oil coollers are ready to be attached and have their bracing straps painted silver. The main wheel rims are painted steel:

Cheers, greatest EoJ GB!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Spiros, those are very nice engines my friend @fiveten.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Mid-session of tac masking:

Soon to be painted green on top!
    Cheers,Great EoJ GB!
    There's still time to build more Empire of Japan beauties!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Someone is trying to get your plane in the net my friend! looking forward to the result of all this effort Spiros (@fiveten)

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @airbum! The DH100GB Vampire is top priority now, in order to be finished, the Toryu following!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    Now that I have completed two models that were time sensitive, (with a self imposed deadline), I can join you with building my two Hasegawa Ki-45 planes.

If you want to, we can also start on the 1/32 scale Heinkel 219's as well. For a future project we talked about, I picked up a set of Barracuda resin exhausts and intakes for the 1/48 scale Monogram B-1. It will be coming down the assembly line soon. I still need a good set of decals for the B-One though. After my bad experience with the Monogram kit decals on the 1/48 F-117, I am not sure how the kit provided decals will work here.

So I will start making regular updates here now. Thanks for carrying the torch and keeping this build thread alive. You have made some impressive progress with your Nichimo kit. It looks very nice, and will be even better once it is camouflaged.

• Profile Photo

Hi my friend Louis @lgardner!

It's really wonderful you will join the Toryu mini group with your two Toryus. If I recall well, both are Hasegawas, meaning they look much much much better in the box than my Nichimo! Eager to see your scheme choices!

I cannot wait to have formation flight with you!

Same goes for the 1/32 Uhus: we can start immediately! I suggest we make it a common topic, something like a duel build, but separate threads will also be a good choice. I leave the decision to you (or any other decision, I will gladly follow), and I also leave the starting bell for you to ring, whenever you wish, even now. It will be an honor for me. So, I am waiting, my friend!

And the same goes for the B-2s! This is so exciting!

It is a real pleasure to be a part of the amazing EoJ GB! It's an amazing GB with endless potential, I wouldn't mind if it continued much more than it's prescribed "one year" duration. If you decide to give extension, please count me in!